• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question about switching gpus pertaining to drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SubPar

Im going to be swapping out my nvidia 650ti b00st for an amd 7970 in the very near future, i was just wondering about drivers, specifically whether or not ill have to reinstall the amd drivers? ive got a r9 270 in the primary slot and the 7970 will be going into the second slot, when i uninstall the nvidia drivers will the amd drivers just take over? or am i looking at reinstalling 14.9 again for the 7970? i want to do this with the minimum of downtime as mr Caddi is breathing down my neck with that damn 970 of his :D ive got about 3-4 days before he passes me so i want to get this done asap :attn: thanks in advance

you should be able to just uninstall the nvidia driver and plug in the 7970 and be good to go.

Reinstall? So before that nvidia card there were/are and drivers on there? It may working depending on what was installed before. Since it tested literally a minute for drivers to install, just reinstall out of the gate.

Thanks caddi, and e_d, I'll try uninstalling and plugging in the 7970 and if it has issues I'll just reinstall :)

if I remember correctly he has both an ati and nvidia card in the same rig, an R9 270 should be staying in the rig with the 7970 so the ati driver should work ok, I'm thinking he's on 14.9, and might think about using 13.12 or 13.9 if he wants to stay ahead of me, he's still going to need the couple of thousand PPD to keep his lead.

I thought 14.9 was the ppd king for amd, I'll give the other 2 a try if it will bump my ppd :D

I had to use a program called DDU to remove drivers on one of my folding rigs. In my case, drivers were not uninstalling correctly thus causing trouble with he current card.

DDU is now Treexy Driver Fusion, slightly more fiddly to use as a free version, but I've used it with success recently.

if I remember correctly he has both an ati and nvidia card in the same rig, an R9 270 should be staying in the rig with the 7970 so the ati driver should work ok, I'm thinking he's on 14.9, and might think about using 13.12 or 13.9 if he wants to stay ahead of me, he's still going to need the couple of thousand PPD to keep his lead.

Eh?

14.9 Is best for PPD IIRC ;)
I gained a few K PPD by upgrading to 14.9 from 13.12.

>>>>>>>> http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html <<<<<<<

here is a link to display driver uninstaller, extract it, open the folder, run it, it opens a few dialog boxes, answer no to all but the one that asks if you want to reboot to safe mode.
it has a spinner for intel, amd or nvidia driver, select nvidia and then click clean and shutdown.

- - - Updated - - -

13.12 or 13.9 produce better than the 14 drivers for me.

- - - Updated - - -

( I really like the automagical thingy)

>>>>>>>> http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html <<<<<<<

here is a link to display driver uninstaller, extract it, open the folder, run it, it opens a few dialog boxes, answer no to all but the one that asks if you want to reboot to safe mode.
it has a spinner for intel, amd or nvidia driver, select nvidia and then click clean and shutdown.

- - - Updated - - -

13.12 or 13.9 produce better than the 14 drivers for me.

- - - Updated - - -

( I really like the automagical thingy)

Huh...

Subpar, let us know if ur PPD increases when you try out 13.xx drivers.
I'll have to test this myself as well. :)

Life's been hectic but ill try and get 13.x installed and post my ppd differences :D

tuesday we're going in for labor to be induced, i still have time :chair: :clap:

Back