• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question about thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tay

I took the heatsink off my cpu. This is the first time I've done this, so I don't know what to do about the hardened thermal paste on and around my cpu. Do I scratch it off with my finger or with a toothpick or somthing? Can I put alcohol on my cpu?
Another question: I have a tube of AS5, is that all I need? I noticed that my cpu has dried grey stuff and wet white stuff on it, is there somthing else I have to put on besides thermal paste? As you can tell I am a complete noob when I comes to installing cpus.

skidooosl said:
Rock on!!!! go with it!

What a completely useless post. To answer the question, 91% or higher alchohol is great for removing old thermal interface material. AS5 is all you need. Check the instuctions at arcticsilver.com for instructions on how to apply to whichever CPU you have.

Cool, so I just use a toothpick or somthing to get most of it off, then clean up with a q-tip and alcohol?

Tay said:
Cool, so I just use a toothpick or somthing to get most of it off, then clean up with a q-tip and alcohol?

I would use the q-tip for the bulk of it, then a lint-free cloth or coffee filter w/ alchohol to wipe it clean. If you can even think about using a toothpick to get it off, there was WAY too much on there.

You don't need this stuff, alcohol works like douglasb said, but if you get doing it a lot, here is some very neat stuff. I smells like Oranges and removes all kinds of thermal paste super easy. Even the factory sticky stuff that you can hardly get off, this stuff removes it with ease in minutes.
ArctiClean 1 for removing the paste
ArctiClean 2 for purifier of the surface. Both can be bought at NewEgg or other places.

If you get doing it a lot this stuff with a Q-tip is a breeze.

as i learned recently lol....

91% alky works pretty good. i use a soft optic cloth to clean my stuff. i'll have to try the coffee filter thing. hehe. but to apply the AS5 i used glad wrap tight around my finger. im sure other plastic would work. use a very small amount of AS5. half of a bb. and you should be good. i never touch anything with my disgusting greasy oily hands directly

Back