• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 8500(retail) & Rebooting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyHook

Senior Village Idiot
I apologise if this has been addressed in the past but none of my searches turned up any help.

My friend has the following:
Abit ST6 Raid
PIII-S 1.26 Default speed and voltage
PREVIOUS video card: nVidia TNT2
NEW video card: ATI Radeon 8500(retail boxed)
Windows XP Pro

PROBLEM:
Since installing the 8500 his machine it won't do a warm reboot. Actually the machine reboots but the video doesn't display. The type of reboot I am referring to would be like when installing some new piece of software and at the end it tells you it must reboot.

After it happened a couple of times to him he put his old card back in and everything is fine, it goes through the warm reboot and the video comes back up just as expected. Reinstalled the 8500 and it simply does not display after a reboot. If he powers the machine completely off and then restarts it the video is fine. He went to ATI's site and got current drivers which made no difference.

Anyone Have Any Ideas?

:eh?: :( :eh?:

did he make sure the old drivers were COMPLETELY
off the system?

i think there is a proggy called detonator destroyer
that kills all of the driver. try that, it could be called
something else.

Starfox said:
did he make sure the old drivers were COMPLETELY
off the system?

i think there is a proggy called detonator destroyer
that kills all of the driver. try that, it could be called
something else.

That program is for Nvidia drivers only. You have to go to the control panel and remove the ATI drivers like a program. it reboots and then it used the standard windows vga drivers. Then install the new ones.

Thanks For The Clarification!

Thanks for that clarification TranceBear, I couldn't quite see how something for Detonator removal was going to work with ATI stuff.
But do you also believe that the problem lays with the drivers? I will have to check with him and see if he experimented at all with the Windows' native drivers or if all this has been happening with the drivers from either the CD or his download.
Thanks for all your responses and keep the ideas coming.

i guess i wasnt too clear, i just meant if he killed the detonators
before he installed the ATI drivers.

Having the same problem here at work with an OEM Radeon 64 meg VIVO. I'm positiveit's not driver related because it won't even POST. If anyone has an insight into this, it would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE

I have now installed this card in my system which is as follows:
Gigabyte GA-60XET-C
PIII-S 1.26
Windows XP Pro

system is all at default speeds and settings.

In my system this cards starts out acting okay, but shortly after it begins acting up. First it will not return after a warm reboot, however if I power the system completely off the video does come on when I start it back up. However after a period of half an hour or so like this it then gets to the point that it hangs up during the windows start procedure, and if I persist in trying to get it up and running it gets to the point that it will not even POST. I can turn around and stick in a real cheapo 8meg Trident card and everything works fine. Is there some kind of conflict between this high end video card and the 815EP chipset on these motherboards? As I failed to mention this system ran flawlessly with a PNY GeForce3 Ti200, which is now in my friends ST-6 motherboard who originally had the problem and that video card is working well for him.

I checked and Windows does not appear to have any type of updated AGP drivers. And I've tried three different ATI drivers directly from their site with no difference in results. Also to be perfectly sure each time I tried different drivers I did a clean install of Windows XP Pro first so that there was no possible carryover of one driver to the next.

I am really running out of ideas, Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!
:eek: :mad: :eek:

Re: UPDATE

SkyHook said:

to be perfectly sure each time I tried different drivers I did a clean install of Windows XP Pro first so that there was no possible carryover of one driver to the next.

I am really running out of ideas, Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!
:eek: :mad: :eek:

hmmmm, looks to me as if you have tried everything you can. I would now be looking at it as a hardware problem. It may be time to RMA the card and get another one in.

Back