• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XPAW_ASSASSIN

Registered
I have just acquired a Radeon 8500 and I was wanting to get a better cooling system on it what is the easiest way of cooling this? I like chrystal orbs but i was thinking of an old p2 hsf combo. would this be alright weight is an issue.. :)

I think the Crystal Orb is your best bet. Anything much bigger wouldn't fit. Get some Arctic Alumina Adhesive for putting the Crystal Orb on instead of that cheap tape that comes with it. You can get both the orb and adhesive at www.svcompucycle.com.

if u venture some worksmanship, look 4 heavy, rough heatsink,
if u can get one of them, drill it 4 plastic pins and attach it!

if heatsink bulky sufficiently, works well itself simply!

Here is what I did. Of course it helps to allready have a water system rigged up before you watercool the graphics card. The waterblock is from danger den. and the ram sinks are from a Pentium-90 heatsink that i cut up. all held on with artic alumina.

i like it... how much work is involved with it? I live in australia so anyone that knows any cheap shops would yuou ming droppng me a link?

It was really easy to do, not too much work (well the water cooling is alot of work, but the basic mods done on this card arent to hard.

First I sealed the card In a static free bag, and placed it in the freezer for 45mins. when I removed it, I placed a credit card between the heatsink and pcb, then I placed a Flat Head Screwdriver between the Credit card and heat sink, Twisting the screwdriver i was able to apply enough force to pop off the heatsink. (the reason a credit card is usesed is to protect the PCB from getting damaged from the screwdriver.) then lots of scrubbing with rubbing alcohol and all of the leftover glue was removed from the GPU.

The heatsink was cut on a Band Saw, though a hack saw would work if you dont have a band saw with a metal blade. I mixed up the arctic Alumina and stuck the suckers on. same with the gpu block, a nice layer of arctic alumina holds her on tight.

35-114-101-02.JPG

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=cool+jag

The CoolJAG JAC313C is a popular heatsink used on GPUs. I have not used it, but it is likely that it will need to be cut inorder for it to fit around some of the components on the 8500.

XPAW_ASSASSIN said:
thanks for that... as a temporary measue would haveing a case fan above and below help out?

wouldnt hurt, i can oc the memory 20mhz stabler with a huge fan blowin in my case...

very nice.. how much does it cost to make/uy one of those water cooling block I am pretty good with my hands so I can make it if I know what it has to have... andy help is greatly appreciated ;)

I saw that super shiny copper HS and it made me think... wouldn't the arctic silver adheasive not stick as well if you have it as smooth as glass?

PigGuy said:
I saw that super shiny copper HS and it made me think... wouldn't the arctic silver adheasive not stick as well if you have it as smooth as glass?

It should still stick. I use Arctic alumina on mine because AA is ceramic based and non conductive. AS could cause some major problems if it gets on the wrong place.

Hey liss good to see you, I have just started to cut heatsinks for th eram out of and old pentium.. IT is an aluminium job but they will do the trick.. I am also looking at getting a bigger heatsink or waterblock on the vid card.. I have just bought URL=http://forums.tweakers.com.au/oldforum/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=3259]THIS[/URL] It has water between the two piecs of plexiglass so i think it would be good to have that connected up to the waterblock.. ;)
nice heat dispencing qualities ;)

I was thinking about making a resevior out of the window ;) i will think about it.. I have spent all night cutting out the heatsink with my crappy old hacksaw.. finally managed to cut out 2 of them and another 6 to go ;)
they look alright..
I lapped the bottome of them and will superglue them with arctic silver as my medium.. :)

makes me glad I have a Band saw. I wouldnt have the patients to do what you are doing, (took me less than 60 seconds to cut mine :p)

damn thats fast.. I just cracked out the jigsaw.. took me a few seconds :) why didnt i think of that.. ;) lol I soaped the blade too

Back