• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
I know the 32mb oem's do not have hyper-z, but do the 64mb also not have it. Also, what is the LE version, and howcome some of cards do not have an active heatsink on them.

Well i guess i could have answered most of my questions by just looking at other posts, there are 2 on the subject now. I see now that you can just flash the bios, and the LE doesn't have a fan, but what is different about an LE from a standard DDR Radeon.

WyrmMaster (May 09, 2001 10:27 p.m.):
I know the 32mb oem's do not have hyper-z, but do the 64mb also not have it. Also, what is the LE version, and howcome some of cards do not have an active heatsink on them.

You guys are correct about the fan but that is about all that people are definite about. There are many theories about how the LE came into existence. Some say that they are Radeon chips that were made for the Asian market and somehow the deal fell through and ATI was left with all these Radeon chips and decided to get recoup some of the money by selling the chips to be matched with slower DDR memory for an economy card: The Radeon LE (Light Edition). This is speculation but sounds plausible to me.

The main differences are
1) slower DDR memory
2) No fan
3) Hyper-Z disabled

You can bypass all of these for under 10.00 (get yourself a fan like one of the orbs and make yourself a retail DDR Radeon, check my other thread on flashing the bios.

I know I may sound like a broken record but I think the Radeon LE is the best bang/buck deal that you can get for video cards.

Amiel

Back