• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radiator shroud

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cougar522

what is the best design and material to get the best results???
or does it really not matter what is ised? Pics would definitly help alot. i just want to know if i need to make a trip to the store because i do have cardboard handy. thanks for everything.

Cougar522

For a long-term solution, you would be better off using a material more durable than cardboard. Many people use sheet metal. Aluminum or Copper are good choices. I like copper because you can solder the seams, but if you're good at designing origami <sp?>, you can lay it out for pop rivets. Copper sheeting is available from places that sell roofing supplies. It is commonly used for flashing. I believe aluminum is also available that way. Obviously, get the thickest you can find that is still bendable. If you do a search in cooling for the key word shroud, there are several threads with pictures and diagrams.

Hoot

alright i got it now. Hoot what fans are you using on your push/pull shroud? i was thinking of geting the ys tech 120mm 131cfm fans would these do well?

Cougar522

You don't need that kind of uumph. Get a pair or Panaflo 120x38mm 85cfm fans or the Sunon (less expensive) version. Even with these seemingly slow fans, they work so well that I reduce the speed even more with a rheostat and the heater core is still loafing along. They are very quiet.

If you were only going to use one fan and you did not mind the increased noise, then a higher cfm fan would be in order. whatever you wind up going with, don't make the mistake of getting a 120x25mm fan, no matter how fast it claims to be. Get a thicker (38mm) fan. It will perform better in the presence of air flow resistance like that encountered when forcing air through a radiator.

Hoot

alright ill take your word for it. what kind of temps do u get with your setup? I see you are involved in shooting sports. What do ya shoot? I am the michigan state champion for 10 meter air rifle and im going to the national championships soon. Anyway i guess ill back off the horsepower on the fans and save my ears at the same time. Ill keep in mind to get a 120 by 38 also. thanks again

Cougar522

Back