• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 different make SSD's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Hey all

I havent set up a raid array in a long while and every time i have had identical drives. Currently i have a 120gb corsair force 3 SSD and i want to add a second and the cheapest is ofc the OCZ agility 3. They are the same size, but ofc the read and write speeds are not identical.

MY current SSD has - 550 MB/s read 510 MB/s write

the OCZ has - 525MB/s Read 500MB/s Write

Personally i don't want to have to fork out an extra 15 on the corsair and since the firmware updates the OCZ drives seems pretty solid. Was just wondering if i would run into any issues while setting up riad 0 with these drives?

Cheers

It would be better to have identical drives, but not absolutely necessary with SSD (I believe) as what it is with a standard hard drive (in regards to cylinders and the like causing slight size differences).

hmmm might just have to play it safe tbh. Found a decent deal where i can get the corasir for only 10 more. Its annoying since ocz stopped with their aggressive pricing strat the price of SSD's have hopped back up to what they were about 6 months ago. Is rather annoying.

If you make raid0 on 2 different drives then all will have values of slower drive or will be doubled for slower drive values. For example if you have 550/510MB/s drive and 525/500MB/s drive then in RAID0 it will probably run as 1050/1000MB/s ( that's theory, in real it will be a bit slower ). Sequential transfers won't be that bad but random will drop more as Agility is slower series.
About the same with access times and other things. Simply it will run like you had 2x Agility SSD or even slower.

Back