• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 1 question, sorry for the noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Devilstalker

Registered
Hey. I have a crucial SSD as my C drive and I thought it would be a good idea to do a RAID 1 setup with one of my larger HDD. After I set it up with Intel Matrix I got a way lower windows xperience score for the hard disk. My only thought is that it is rating it off of the mirrored HD which is (obviously) much slower than the source disk, the SSD.

Anyways, want to break the RAID 1 mirror and go to non raid. Is there any way to do that in windows with the Intel matrix storage manager? I didnt see any options in that to break the raid array, only to delete it and that is not what I want, plus it wont let me bcause it is a system disk. I know how to go into the matrix outside of windows and do it that way, but every time I have broken raid in that utility, it warns me that the disks will b erased of all info. The frist two times I did it, the data was still there and it was fine. Since it is only a mirror, it makes sense that the data would be fine, but it creeps me out that matrix warns me that it will be erased.

Anyone know the best way to break RAID1 safely? Is that warning in the matrix just there by default, like if someone resets say a RAID 0 array, in which case it makes sense that the data would be lost...

Any ideas would be helpful, I am sure it is something simple that I have just missed. If so, sorry for the noob question.:screwy:

Thanks in advance

With RAID 1, the drive is readable by itself. Simply turn "RAID" to "AHCI" in the BIOS if you aren't using RAID for anything else.

Don't change anything in the Intel array manager.

Not sure why, but when I did that it messed everything up. System wont boot, so I reinstalled OS. It installed fine, but on restart now I am getting boot failure with BOOTMGR missing, I have posted another thread on it under the Microsoft OS section. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance:bang head

Not sure why, but when I did that it messed everything up. System wont boot, so I reinstalled OS. It installed fine, but on restart now I am getting boot failure with BOOTMGR missing, I have posted another thread on it under the Microsoft OS section. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance:bang head

Run the "repair my computer" thing a couple times from your install disk. I've had that problem more than a few times LOL ;)

Either that or you don't have the right drive selected in the BIOS as your main drive. Every time that I put my 1tb WD back in my computer, it sets that as the default and tries to boot to it. Since everything is on my SSD, that doesn't go over very well.

Thanks guys, I was able to fix it by clearing CMOS and setting boot priority correctly. I didnt do the repair option cause I had just installed the OS fresh before it failed, so I had all my files previously backed up on a third HDD manually. I just reinstalled it again, but this time it worked awesome and I have since plugged in my Mech HDDs and it is booting perfectly to the SSD.

Thanks for all the help!:clap:

Back