• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raid 5 software under win2k3 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MLMIB said:
nforce 2 mobo, amd xp 1700, 256 ram(although I can swap a 512 in if needed, but I've never seen the ram full) 550 watt psu, 3 controller cards that I got cheap off newegg

question, would this raid controller do it all hardware and at a decent speed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RocketRAID-404-...ryZ39968QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hardware raid 5 that is, I know I'd lose one drive, but I think I'd live =)

I see your problem...

They're all PATA drives...

Each controller (Primary Master, secondary Slave) can't read or write at the same time.

You can't put two hard drives on the same controller and expect it to run fast. Its impossible. One has to be off, in order for the other drive to read or write...

I would ony put four drives on that controller. And make each drive Master of each controller.. Otherwise, you're going to be in the same boat you're in now...

will there at least be some sort of improvement? I mean I'm not to particular about it being the fastest, speed is not an issue here, just 16 days is a bit rediculous.

if this will bring it to bearable speeds than it's all good for me, I'm just trying to maximize space while keeping it cheap

Not really... RAID is never cheap...

Be sure that you don't get caught with all the 2TB of illegal movies & music files at college.

You'll be kicked out for sure, and you life will be over.

it's just a giant TIVO I'm gunna link to a mac mini, mount it as a network drive 'n navigate to it via front row :)

do you know if you can put pci-extended(the 66 mhz ones) in a standard pci slot...looking into a few 3ware controllers...

MLMIB said:
it's just a giant TIVO I'm gunna link to a mac mini, mount it as a network drive 'n navigate to it via front row :)

do you know if you can put pci-extended(the 66 mhz ones) in a standard pci slot...looking into a few 3ware controllers...

Dude... I helped you all I can...

Good luck with the Tivo idea, and be sure to tell the feds that when they arrest you...

Back