• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid Controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Recursion

so I have my system here

P4 2.4C
Asus P4C800 E-DELUXE
OCZ PC-4200 (2x512mb) 2.5-3-3-8
ATI Radeon 9600XT
Liteon SOHW-832S
Antec TruePower 550watt
WD RAPTOR 2X36.6 (RAID-0)
Seagate Ultra 200GB PATA

I am going to get rid of the Raptors and sell the memeory and get like 4gb of some cheapo stuff.

I want to build a file server for myself that will always be folding and will be constantly transfering massive amounts of data. usually up to about 6000kbs. I could even have a newsgroup suck feed going to it at times, but dont know yet.

Im not sure of what raid I will run yet, but Im going to have alot of hard drives in there, Im not really sure about the size yet. the thoght of a server just came to me tonight, so this is new.

Im also going to need a raid controller, that is capable of keeping up with 24/7 data transfer at the intense speeds. Im not really to sure of the brands, what do you guys recommend.

You'll have to define "intense speeds" more objectively. A 6MB/s (assuming you mean 6000 KBs and not 6000 kbs) feed is not a whole lot and can be accomplished with even the cheesiest of controllers. Also, is this traffic primarily reads or writes? How much data are you trying to store? For how long? How often does it change?

Like the thread you've got going over in networking, it helps to be a lot more specific about what you're trying to do. For all I know you could be the dorm usenet binaries dealer, but even then I think you're overestimating load.

well the 6MBs is all I can pretty much download at a time and It will 100% constant. It will be for reads and writes. as I will most likely be storing files and when I download binairies from usenet I will run a par check and then resubmit them. This will be constant, as well as I will be running Folding on it 24/7 as well.

I am asking because even at 3.0 MBs this computer seems to really slow down, as if it cant handle it. which concearns me.

so who makes very good raid controllers at a not so expensive price. I athink I want SATA 3.0 Gb/s but not sure yet.

Back