• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptors in Raid 0 = 19K Write Speeds? Stumped!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
OK, running win xp pro, using the A7N8X Deluxe with the built in Silicon Image SATA raid. Set up a 16K stripe etc etc. I have done many raid configs before, I am not new at this. My 2 Maxtors with a Promise raid card yeiled about 60K write and 65-70K Read. With the 2 Raptors I am hitting a wall at 19K write speeds, my read speeds are fine at over 100K. Any ideas? Im stumped!

bad controller on the MB?
I've heard the SI chip isn't that good, but it was still giving 60k+ read/write speeds...

pik4chu said:
Didn't XP have a problem with RAID? I know it doesnt like SCSI but wasnt some RAId config's a problem too?
Yeah I heard that too... but, my other IDE raid 0 arrays were always fine. This is just making me mad! :mad:

Are you using the version 28.1 drivers posted on the Asus site?

They were created to slow down the RW (more the write rates)rates to control the data Corruption problem.

Try using the version 29 drivers.

Al

(I am getting 50k rates using ide drives with convertors using the 29's)

Maximouse said:
Are you using the version 28.1 drivers posted on the Asus site?

They were created to slow down the RW (more the write rates)rates to control the data Corruption problem.

Try using the version 29 drivers.

Al

(I am getting 50k rates using ide drives with convertors using the 29's)
Where can I get the 29's? I can't seem to find them on the SI site, they list the 28's as being the newest...

What are you benching the array with? It might be settings in there, I know Atto did that to me once or twice.

loner said:
What are you benching the array with? It might be settings in there, I know Atto did that to me once or twice.

HDTach, Atto and Sandra.

Using the 28.1 drivers Atto showed a terrible write rating. when I went to the 29's then it improved considerably.

Funny thing is, when I first installed the Sata Raid setup, I had nothing but problems. Now I can't make it go corrupt unless I enable/disable the onboard audio or add/remove a PCI video card.

Weird.

Al

Last edited:
Stedeman said:
SP1 cleaned up problems with RAID but have you checked the read and write speed for the drives out of RAID
Well with the 29 drivers, I got 105MB sec read and write, not bad. This was with a FRESH install of the OS. After the first time I rebooted, I ran atto again, and my read/write scores were under 1MB Sec! Yes, I said ONE. I got the promise SATA S150 raid card that I will be installing monday. I will report back with my findings.

Raptor's Rock

This is with Asus Dlx A7n8X v1.6
Bios 1004 Uber
10029 Raid
2.41 Nvidia

atto.JPG

Sandra.JPG

HDTach.JPG

Back