• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rate this pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

Rate this pc any comments any suggestions

when i chose the mobo, PSU, RAM, GFX card and screen i was not at all sure about them so any suggestions would be grat

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939)

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache

DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

ThermalRight XP-120 (Socket 754/939/478) Heatsink

YS-TECH FD1238 120mm Fan - 4 Pin

Enermax Noisetaker 600W EG701AX-VE(W) SFMA ATX2.0 SLI Compliant PSU

Akasa Eclipse-62 Aluminum Case

Akasa Window Side Panel for Eclipse 62 Case

XFX GeForce 6800 Ultra 512MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200XL XPERT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2

Arctic Cooling nVidia 5 (6800 Series) VGA Silencer

Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler

Vantec Vortex Hard Drive Cooling System - Black

NEC ND3520 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)

AOpen DVD-1648 Chameleon 16x DVD-ROM inc. Ivory/Black/Silver Bezels

Vantec SF12025L Stealth 120mm fan

Vantec Vibration Dampening Kit for Case Fan

Akasa AK FC-03 Fan Controller Pro (OA-002-AK) 1

Akasa TIM-clean CPU & Heatsink Cleaner (OA-001-AK) 2

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) (AC-000-AC) 1

Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy (7g) (OA-001-AC) 1

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 Plus NCQ 300GB ST3300831AS SATA 8MB Cache

Razer Diamondback Plasma 1600dpi Gaming Mouse Limited Edition

Ideazon Zboard with Crossfire Gaming Keyset USB

and no i dont actualy have this pc lol my m8 wanted me to find out how much it would be for him and just making sure this would all work and be the best options.

Thnx in advance

RIPSTER

I would go with a different fan, stealth fans aren't stealth. Go for a Yate Loon or Nexus instead.

Not sure why you have the AS Epoxy though, as I don't see ramsinks in the list.

Looks good so far. :cool: But the stealth fans has to go. There are always panaflo high which are very silent in my opinion :p

So far I'd give it about 7-8/10. A couple of suggestions:

1. Instead of TCCD, go for some low latency UTT instead. Chances are that it will outperform those Corsair modules and at a lower cost, too.

2. The 6xxx PCI-E cards typically come with a pretty heavy price premium, with the exception being the 6600GT lineup. This little price gouge is in place due to the fact that these cards are SLI ready. If you're looking to go SLI down the road than it might be a good buy; otherwise, I'd go for something a bit cheaper like an x800XL.

3. Gotta love that Limited Edition Diamondback :thup: I have one on pre-order as well :)

deception``

provided your m8 has unlimited funds, or just a ton of cash, this system will work well for him. however, there are mnay areas that could be shaved back: vid card (as suggested above), the HD cooler is not a necessity, the epoxy (as mentioned above).

all in all, a very nice setup. have fun with it!

74 GB going to be enough? If it is, looks good.

DVD Burner - sub NEC with a Benq DW1625 for a few extra bucks you can have lightscribe. Intersting new cd/dvd labeling technology.

If it was for me, and money wasn't a problem. I'd pick up another raptor and set up a raid.

My Two Cents Worth

I would do a little research on the selection of my Burner.There are a lot of units as good or superior the the one you selected for the same money.
On what grounds did you base the selection of the case(I just wondered why you went that direction)?
Solid choice of components-He or she should be a happy camper

On what grounds did you base the selection of the case
I dont know realy it just looks like a good solid case always liked the idea of black inside and mirror mobo tray

Instead of TCCD, go for some low latency UTT instead. Chances are that it will outperform those Corsair modules and at a lower cost, too.

wat type of RAM u talkin bout im not very well informed in the RAM area.

K here are the changes-

YS-TECH FD1238 120mm Fan instead of the stealth fan

XFX GeForce PCX6600 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) instead of the 6800 512 mb

an extra 74gb raptor

Lian-Li PC V1000 Black Aluminium Midi-Tower instead of akasa case

Still not sure about ram change any advice would be welcome.

RIPSTER

Information

I was not trying to tell you to make a specific selection on the Case.I was hoping you had experience with this case(used it or a friend was using it) and you could tell us about the important case features like air movement,room in the case for wiring and fan placement.Looks of a case are last on my list of case features.

That setup looks pretty good but I am leary of that Zalman NB cooler. I know its a good one, but the NF4 chipsets run pretty hot and a passive HS might not be quite up to snuff. The other problem is that the design of the DFI board places the chipset right next to a PCI x16 slot so if you have a long card (like a 6800 series) it goes right over the chipset and if you have a tall heatsink (like that Zalman) it will hit.

Just a thought. If you wanted to replace the chipset heatsink, you would probably be best with something like this that is lower profile as not to obstruct any cards in that bottom x16 slot:
http://www.svc.com/vansolcopvga.html

But the stock chipset heatsink that comes on the DFI boads is decent so I wouldn't be worried about replacing it right away. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with it.

UTT is memory manufactured by winbond. It's used in many value lines as it's low cost. It has some interesting properties however in that if you put substantially higher than recommended voltage through it(3.2+v) it can operate at extremely low latencies. It's a wonderful match to the A64 which thrives on low latency memory access. Prior to a few weeks ago I too would have suggested you get this type of memory rather than TCCD, however a flaw in the DFI nF4 boards has given me pause in recommending this type of memory in this application. It seems the boards have a problem with long term usage of the 5v rail selection necessary for obtaining the higher vdimms required by UTT sticks. I myself have two DFI nF4 boards that previously worked like a dream with UTT memory at high voltages, but now refuse to even post with this type of memory. Many others have reported similar problems and DFI support has partially acknowledged this problem though their policy is largely to minimize the issue. I would stick with your original choice and purchase TCCD for high throughput and lower voltages and avoid the problem altogether.

If you choose to use UTT memory anyway the obvious choices are OCZ VX, OCZ value VX, & Twinmos TMSP.

Back