• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Recent new build, suddenly "Captain, we have a problem..."

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PsycoPhreak

I've got an interesting dilemma that just reared it's ugly head... I'm posting it here since it is a general hardware query/issue, but if it's in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it if necessary.

A recent build (listed in sig.) has been flawless since first boot. Fresh installs of everything, so there wouldn't be any problems. Everything was "up to date" as far as drivers and software is concerned and running sweet, not a glitch. The only thing that kept bothering me was windows was using the "stock" driver for the onboard "Realtek" audio (I opted to skip the purchase of an "add on" card since the "SupremeFx IV" was supposedly "one of the best onboard audio solutions" to date).

So my OCD got the best of me, I wanted to know what was missing beside some simple features I was used to having (I did notice I had no tone level control, or other "features" to alter the sound with the stock driver, and I'm used to being able to adjust treble, bass, etc. with other audio solutions)

So I installed the "updated" drivers and software for the onboard sound, and was happy to see upon reboot I was in fact, previously missing quite a few settings, and now had them, and many others with the updated driver and software.

Everything ran fine; several power cycles showed no issues. Out of nowhere, I started getting problems on startup where it would get to the log-on screen, and would hang there for over 3 mins. at the "Please wait..." prompt, then my log-on would come up, I'd log in, and be greeted with the message "Failed to connect to System Event Notification Service...", and my "Aero" wasn't working on the desktop as well.

As most people would, I assumed ok, something may have "glitched" with my video drivers, so I uninstalled and re-installed them to no avail, same thing happened with each reboot, EVEN when I decided to let windows install the generic driver for the video card. SO after some tracking and tracing (and finally using my brain), I found out that the AUDIO SERVICE was the culprit as it had thrown up some errors about being unable to start (thankfully they were recorded in the event logs, or I'd be pulling out what's left of my hair...)

So upon uninstalling the driver from device manager for the realtek audio (with the "uninstall driver software" checkbox selected), a fresh start yielded windows going back to its normal operation and installing the "stock" windows driver for the audio by itself, and everything is fine again.

Since I've rambled on long enough, the core of the problem is this... Any and all versions of the drivers I have downloaded and installed cause this to happen, and it is only the audio that is causing it, the only driver that works is the "stock" installed one from windows itself, but it has no adjustable options (other than being able to select speaker configuration and it sounds like crap!)

Anyone have a solution? because I've just about given up on the onboard, and I'm considering just getting a nice "add on" card. I was always against using onboard to begin with, but I was "assured" this board had one of the best options that rivaled some third party add on cards; now I'm not so sure... Help?

Thanks!

When u installed the video driver did you install the HD audio driver that goes with it? That could be the source of the problem. I had an issue when I first got my monitor a couple years ago. Started using HDMI connection and there were too many audio drivers. I had onboard, vid card audio and an add in all fighting for control. After that I made sure only the one I'd be using was installed after that.

I've run the gamut of diagnostics... from deleting all installed drivers to a fresh re-install of windows that ONLY has the audio drivers installed, and it still happens. I've done a massive amount of research into the error over the last 72 hours and have tried everything I have come across to fix it, nothing has worked except for leaving the "generic" driver windows installs alone. It's definitely the audio drivers or the audio hardware...

So, either there is a major driver flaw that Realtek/Asus needs to work out, or... the onboard audio may be defective... I personally think it's a driver issue, Asus is NO help at all, and forget about getting any support from Realtek... been there, tried that.

Either way, Looks as though I may be looking at getting an add on card and just disabling the onboard. I'd return the motherboard for another, but that ship sailed since I'm in a massive fight with the retailer right now over an additional 16Gb memory and 2 video cards that never made it into my order, even though the retailer claims they (the memory and video cards) were in the same box with all my other parts (they weren't, even the invoice in the package doesn't list the missing parts, but I was billed for all of it!)

I have usually found updated drivers from Realtek give problems. I just stick with the MS WHQL (or whatever that call it) ones.

**EDIT** Well, apparently the only solution to the problem is stay away from onboard audio. So much for it being as good as an add on card like many have claimed...( Asus says it's a windows issue, realtek says it's a windows issue, Microsoft says it's a driver issue... all point the fingers, none want to get it fixed...)

So, after 2 weeks and over 100+ views; aside from the few attempts made to help out (thanks go to those above for that), looks as though I'll never get a definitive answer. It's kind of disappointing considering the wealth of knowledge that used to be available on this site, and only 2 replies were left... Anyway; My solution to was I went out and replaced the onboard with a new SoundBlaster ZXR...

Problem solved...

Last edited:
Back