• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended PSU's - True/Tested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you seen the sparkle 1kw gold plus certified psu? I picked one up and the packaging looks just like the 1250 watt one with less cables.

I know thats just a first look thing ;) Just gotta get someone else to make a review but hopefully it should perform the same or close to its big brother.

They don't go by its brother tho. They test them to make sure they do what they are supposed to. If they test it and it passes their tests, it goes on the list. If not, it goes on the bad list.

When I was reading the reviews a good while back, I noticed that sometimes they were surprised themselves when they had a failure when other similar models passed the test just fine. The only way to know for sure is to test them. I can't blame them for not adding them without doing the proper testing.

:) :)

There are many good power supplies that aren't on our sticky list. Some just haven't been tested or submitted for testing. The Jonny Guru tests by our own Oklahoma Wolf and the [H]ardop tests by Paul Johnson are very stringent, some don't make their "Bronze" list but it certainly doesn't mean they are not any good.

Our lists are the "Best of the Best" of what's submitted. A manufacturer usually submits a test sample and I know OW doesn't go out any buy them just to test, it's much too expensive.

Our sticky list is meant to be foolproof, anything on that list will (should) give you years of reliable, safe power. All models aren't always available all over the world. Keep in mind that when power supplies are removed from the list (the Corsair HX520 and HX 620 for example), it means they are no longer in production or have reached EOL (End Of Life) and are being or have been replaced by newer models. It doesn't mean they have fallen out of favor.

Without a proven professional specific test to reference, they simply aren't on our list (yet).

It's adequate but not outstanding.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-ModXStream-Pro-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/973/1

Keep in mind that because it's not on our sticky list does not mean it's not good, it just doesn't meet the "top of the line" requirements.

That's correct.

PSU's that make it on this list have simply scored high on predicted reliability and performance. Will they be more expensive? Generally, I'd say you pay a little more - then you have to consider modular. Why would they be more expensive? Because power supplies that actually perform as advertised under stress, are built with quality components designed to endure that load for long periods of time. Other advantages to better components include running cooler, which means lower fan speeds and quieter operation. Longevity goes hand in hand with component tolenrence as well. My trick is to find a PSU from our list on discount, or end of cycle sale etc..

I rather pay an extra $20 and not have to buy it twice.

Additionally, and this may confuse the readers of this sticky, there will be some units from the same manufacturer or their OEM that are on the "Preferred List" while other models with the same retail label fail. This is not unusual. This is why a professional test of the specific unit is required.

Some time ago as one example Thermaltake was only an adequate power supply at best until they came out with their "Toughpower" models which are excellent units. Generally all the Corsair (Channel Well and Seasonic OEM's) and Seasonic power supplys are fine "across the board" and all would probably make the list if tested.

Just because your unit is not listed shouldn't make one wring their hands in despair. There are great numbers of decent units that would fill most users needs but listing them in a "Class B - Good" category is logistically not possible.

Those who spend $200, $300, $400 or more for power hungry top-of-the-line graphics cards should not hesitate to spend another $20 - $40 more for a First Class power supply to protect their systems.

Last edited:
where is cooler master silent pro 700 watts?is it not included on the list?because I am using one.

where is cooler master silent pro 700 watts?is it not included on the list?because I am using one.

The only ones in the list are the ones that were tested. Just because someone has one doesn't mean it is going to be on the list. After all, someone has at least one of about every power supply out there. At that point, the list would be meaningless.

Maybe you can send them your power supply and let them test it. If you get it back and it works, then it passed the test. If you get it back and it smells funny, well, it wasn't as good as you thought it was. :censored: :mad:

:D :D

It was not submitted for testing at a professional site that anyone could find. Without a specific professional review, it can't be listed.

just wanted to point out that the Corsair TX850 V2 and the XFX Pro 850 W are virtually identical if you strip the case off. they are both manufactured by Seasonic. so if it were me making the choice between the two i personaly, would opt for XFX since it's usually 10 bucks cheaper.

I suppose I should post my video of the Enermax Revolution 1050W pulling over 1700W here right? :D

I suppose I should post my video of the Enermax Revolution 1050W pulling over 1700W here right? :D

Nice video, but a bit misleading.
You know that the PSU might be pulling 1700W from the plug, but the real questions are:

How accurate is that kill-a-watt at those loads?
How efficient is the PSU when heavily overloaded?
And consequentially how much did the PSU really deliever at that time?

Let's say the kill-a-watt's readings are somehow accurate (I don't know about that).

That would mean that at an assumed efficiency of 85% the PSU would've delievered around 1445W at the time the power meter showed 1700W.
Then again seeing that the PSU is heavily overloaded I guess that the efficiency was a fair bit lower than 85%. Let's assume 75% in this condition.

So, the PSU would've delievered about 1275W at the moment the kill-a-watt showed 1700W.

What you showed is that the PSU can be overloaded. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's one of the best PSUs. It just means that it probably won't die that easily when tortured.
Throughout your tests you probably overloaded the unit constantly by ~150W with peaks upto ~250W. So, in reality there is a bit of a difference between 650W and ~250W. ;)

Back