• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended thermal compounds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Save your money

GC Electronics Type 44 (actually a Dowcorning product marketed under different names)

The good ol house of [H] stands behind it:

Heatsink Compound Roundup

This article was written before AS3 was on the market, however, anybody here notice a difference between AS2 and 3? I sure didn't!! Perhaps cuz I lap everything, I dunno.

Type 44
easy to apply correct amount (like AS products)

But:
It doesn't stain
It's easier to clean off components
It 'sets' in almost no time (like, less time than it takes to heat the chip back up and thermalize)
Conducts far less (essentially infinte resistance)
Much lower capacitance (essentially infinitessimal capacitance)
Than good old AS produts
Also, Type 44 is ester based. Therfore, IT WILL NOT SEEP, unlike AS products which are all (Ceramique?) silicon based and WILL SEEP OVER TIME!!

:D Did I mention you can buy about 80grams for about $15US, incl. shipping? Check it out, buy a big ol tube of the stuff, give most of it away to your friends, and never buy anymore for the rest of your life!

Altex - Type 44, 40g tub

Altex - Type 44, 80g tube

Atex - Type 44, 80g tube (bottom of page) <- This is where I bought mine. Best price I could find shipped to Canada.

:) I tried it. Got the same results as AS3. Same with 3 of my friends (all less than 1°C difference, some up, some down) Your results may vary.

If someone else out there has tried this stuff, could you post your results and opinions here? Sometimes I feel so lonely since I abandoned Arctic Silver :( :(

N8

You know I'd still take AS3 over AS5. AS5 is just to hard to apply compared to the good 'ole thin AS3

I'm using ceramique now but even that stuff is like a workout to spread over the heatsink with a plastic baggie and wipe off.

Back