• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recovering EFS files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

My old desktop has some documents in it that I want to recover. Problem is, for some reason, I thought I would be cute and used the EFS system back then. I cannot get access to the files now from my current system.

No problem, the original OS drive and Storage drive (where the files sit) are still in tact. Problem is, I cant boot into Win7 with it. It does a 1sec blue screen and reboots. Safe mode...reboots also.

I have no idea what to do. Googled everywhere and end up with nothing other than "log on to a user in that computer."

Anyone have any ideas? I can access both the OS and STORAGE drives via a USB adapter no problem. My old parts (q6600, mobo) that went to this are long gone. But I do have another socket 775 5 Dell system which is what I am trying to stick the hard drives in and get into Windows with.

Alright, will give it a shot in a few days when I get back home. I am using 2 good GSkill memory sticks and tried swapping them around with no change.

My old parts (q6600, mobo) that went to this are long gone. But I do have another socket 775 5 Dell system which is what I am trying to stick the hard drives in and get into Windows with.

You need to run something like Paragon Adaptive Recovery to reset the hal on the OS, then on next bootup detects the hardware as new and installs it. If you ran a repair windows install it might have the same effect. This is assuming Paragon (or whatever) can actually access the files it needs to when you boot from their utility disc...

Use r-studio and it will first scan the slave drive and then create an exact copy of whatever it sees and you desire back to a different folder of another drive. Efs whatever, you can even specify efs if you like so it only recovers the recoverable efs files.

Back