• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing Thermal Compound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xx

Registered
A bit of advise please....

What's the best way of cleaning off Thermal Compound from the CPU?
I was thinking of using a little white spirit, applying it with a cotton-wool bud.
I'm actually going to install a new heatsink and re-do the L1 bridges, so wanted to clean up and start again.

Any ideas.....?

Greg

Rubbing Alcohol or nail polish remover(the kind with Acetone) both work really really well. Just dab it on with something cottony soft, let it sit for a sce and wipe it off before it completely evaporates.

If you want to get all of the old grease out of the HS, lap it.

I used a razor blade to get the stuff off. It worked pretty good, but be careful not to scrape it too hard against the heat sink (not really sure why but I'm sure it increases the temp some, maybe somebody can back me up) and then clean it off with a little rubbing alcahol, viola all done. Now add some real thermal compound and you are on your way.

I used a razor blade to get the stuff off. It worked pretty good, but be careful not to scrape it too hard against the heat sink (not really sure why but I'm sure it increases the temp some, maybe somebody can back me up) and then clean it off with a little rubbing alcahol, viola all done. Now add some real thermal compound and you are on your way.

Back