• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement Switch Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aynjell

hello everybody,

As some of you may know I am setting up a larger scale network than most and I am putting to use some 24 port gigabit switches by SMC (Tigerswitch 8624T). The switch does not get hot, barely gets warm. The fans however are extremely loud, even after putting the zalman fan resistor adapters on it... it's still loud and the change in character the fans went through has made it more annoying for my room mate. Less for me, but more for him.

The stock fans are some ADDA 40MM, I'm wanting to replace it with a quiter 40MM fan.

The stock airflow on these fans is rated at 7.7CFM, with the stock noise level being just under 30DBA. Does anybody know of any good fans that we can use to reduce the noise?

I'm looking for about 20DBA, something much closer to silent, but still able to do about 5CFM. These things sitting open case barely get warm, so I don't think massive (lol) 7.7CFM fans are required.

I'm asking because I want silent fans, and seems that noise is always understated and airflow overrated.

TLDR: I need silent 40MM fans (actually silent) that will do about 5CFM. Anybody know of anything?

Try one of these, if 23cfm is still to loud you can run it off the 5v line instead of the 12volt line for power. That should drop the noise level and still push around 4cfm.
delta 40mm

Try one of these, if 23cfm is still to loud you can run it off the 5v line instead of the 12volt line for power. That should drop the noise level and still push around 4cfm.
delta 40mm

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately your suggestion is not likely an option due to it's thickness. there's little space left in the switch and the fans have to run off the 12v or with a resistor. I could try either way, sure but I doubt that it will fit. If it will, I'll order 1 and give it a go, and if it's a good match for the noise level I need I'll buy more.

Basically, I have 2 of these switches. My testing concludes it barely gets hot at all with no airflow, some airflow is all that's required, just to keep it from getting stale.

:blah:

So 12CFM over 3 fans is probably sufficient. 24 over 3 is amazing, but I'm having a really hard time believing those numbers for noise. Just seems too good to be true.

I've ordered 3 Sunon KD1204PKB2-3 for the time being. The hunt is still on for the perfect fan, but given that I can run the stock fans at 7V and not overheat (or even get really warm for that matter) these fans should be perfect, especially with resistors but noise ratings are never what they are listed as.

Delta makes 10mm thick fans aswell, you just have to look on there product matrix for the right size to thickness, and noise ratio. Most of the switches i work with these days use the 30+mm thick which is why i posted it.

I'm not ruling out your solution, but I'm trying this first as the specs line up more appropriately with what I need. If this isn't perfect, I'll try your suggestion if they'll fit. :D

And/or when it becomes available anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah i just figured i would mention that they made other thicknesses besides that is all :D

Plus I admit, I am a large fan of Delta's products :D (no pun intended)

Yeah i just figured i would mention that they made other thicknesses besides that is all :D

Plus I admit, I am a large fan of Delta's products :D (no pun intended)

I'm sure rightfully so. I will try them if these aren't perfect. :D

Back