• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Routing problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aabighead

Registered
ive recently purchased an netgear RT411 and its working fine. I have one computer running on my broadband but the other isnt. the green lights are on proving the computer is connected and on but it still cant get internet. when i ran winipcfg it got this weird IP adress (169.254.6.24) and subnet mask (255.255.0.0 . ive tried giving it a specific ip adress and subnet mask but it still doesnt work. im guessing its not logging on the network or im missing some protocols. the OS is win98. let me know if you dont fully understand the problem, i'll try to make it more clear. thx guys.

So you have one PC that is running off of the router ok then?

Your other PC should be configured to receive IP addresses from the router. The IP address you posted is one that Windows will assign to itself if no other DHCP server is found.

Make sure the router has enough IP addresses in its scope to supply both PCs. Shouldn't be a problem with default settings as I think it contains at least 5 IPs.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol although I don't think that's a problem...looks like a Windows setting is bad.

thanks jon, i'll try that. but i doubt it'll work. anyone else have any idea?

here is a simple way to get it runnning if you dont need to use a modem on the comp that dosent work go to the network properties box and uninstaall all the adapters, reboot, the comp should autodetect the nic and reinstall it, let it restart, go back to the properties box make shure tcp/ip is there , enable file and printer sharing, add the NetBEUI protocol open the tcp/ip properties go to bindings and uncheck file and printer sharing, go to the dns tab, select disable. gp tp the ip address tab and select obtain an ip address automaticaly, reboot and it should work

Back