• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 3700x Temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

So I've noticed that the Ryzen has much higher temps compared to my old i7 6700k. I get that it's new architecture etc

I've also done some research and I don't want to classify this "inquiry" under, bad chips that run too hot. I simply want to create and understanding of what's normal etc.

My system specs from my 6700k setup is exactly the same. I replaced the motherboard, cpu and put in a samsung 970 evo M2 drive. Same fan configuration etc and pretty much the same fan profiles. My CPU idles in the 50-60 degrees celcius, compared to my intel which was in the mid 20's, maybe low 30's if it the ambient temps are higher. During gaming, it stays in the 60's, hasn't hit 70 but I haven't played any heavy games. After exiting the game, the temps don't come back down for some reason.

Maybe some BIOS tweaks would help lower temps?

I also put the thermal paste using the single blob in the center approach, but I've read that for Ryzen a horizontal line that covers 80% of the width of the chip is the way to go? Some say it doesn't matter...

Any suggestions would be helpful. For now, I haven't touched BIOS, other than implementing fan profiles and DOCP for my memory.

Thanks.

I have the asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi board and a 3700x. The uefi on my board will default the voltage for cpu to 1.47v for some odd reason, as I can run it at 4.4ghz @ 1.31v. At that voltage, when running a cinebench 20 test the temps will reach 71c. My cooling is the Enermax liqmax 3 360 AIO

I have the asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi board and a 3700x. The uefi on my board will default the voltage for cpu to 1.47v for some odd reason, as I can run it at 4.4ghz @ 1.31v. At that voltage, when running a cinebench 20 test the temps will reach 71c. My cooling is the Enermax liqmax 3 360 AIO

Could you share your BIOS settings for the OC? I have the STRIX Gaming-E board. My default voltage is also around the same as yours but it goes down/up based on usage. Right now I'm at idle, typing this and it's at 1.4+, which makes no sense. It's as if it doesn't go down after I finish playing a game...I haven't touched power plan settings.

are you using the stock amd cooler?
Either way, I would drop cpu v to around 1.37 and see if it boots and what temps are

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Maybe download cinebench 20 and test with that as it should be more temps that you would normally see during daily stuff

Could you share your BIOS settings for the OC? I have the STRIX Gaming-E board. My default voltage is also around the same as yours but it goes down/up based on usage. Right now I'm at idle, typing this and it's at 1.4+, which makes no sense. It's as if it doesn't go down after I finish playing a game...I haven't touched power plan settings.
Use the AMD balanced plan...

But the behavior you are seeing is normal with the voltage. You should be able to drop it a bit.

are you using the stock amd cooler?
Either way, I would drop cpu v to around 1.37 and see if it boots and what temps are

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Maybe download cinebench 20 and test with that as it should be more temps that you would normally see during daily stuff

I have a corsair h100v2 on it, same rig that's in my sig, minus the 3 new components.

Use the AMD balanced plan...

But the behavior you are seeing is normal with the voltage. You should be able to drop it a bit.

That's what I have it set on and I decided to change the process min to 10% and max to 100%. It was at 99% min before and 100% max...didn't change anything :) Still at over 1.4+ vCore during idle.

So the way I applied the thermal paste vs the horizontal line? Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:
So I just messed around with Ryzen Master and CineBench r20. Initial test gave me 4252 and then I started dropping vcore using Ryzen master.

I am now at 1.3v @ 4000 MHz and cinebench gave me 4397 score. Temps are also a bit lower.

Are there any BIOS settings that shouldn't be on Auto, other than DHCP?

My chip is really hot, makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my waterblock. I've tried re-pasting and got a few degrees better. R20 with Ryzen Balanced gets me 79c max. and 4444cb (with a lot running in the background). Voltage varies between 1.25v and 1.29v and clocks vary between 4000MHz and 4050MHz.

I've never seen this one before...I raised the core cpu ratio to 40 (4000mhz) and the motherboard dropped the vCore to just over 1.0v??? That made no sense to me.

I've set the vCore to manual 1.3v @ 4000mhz and leaving it for now till I figure out what else I can do.

So the way I applied the thermal paste vs the horizontal line? Any thoughts on that?

In general, so long as you are appliying the correct amount and getting an even spread, the method isn't that important. I have seen and tried many methods that work well, the pea, rice grain, 5 dots, line, X, double line, etc. Thngs to avoid would be shapes that can create air pockets/ bubbles like circles, happy face (though fun), and smearing with your finger. There are a few videos on Youtube that demonstrate the effectiveness of each style.

The best practice is to pull the heatsink and check your coverage if you are having temp issues and believe it coulf be the TIM application. TIM is cheap in comparison so don't be afraid to waste a little to get proper temps.

I have seen where the orientation of the water block can make several degrees difference

So I've noticed that the Ryzen has much higher temps compared to my old i7 6700k. I get that it's new architecture etc

I've also done some research and I don't want to classify this "inquiry" under, bad chips that run too hot. I simply want to create and understanding of what's normal etc.

My system specs from my 6700k setup is exactly the same. I replaced the motherboard, cpu and put in a samsung 970 evo M2 drive. Same fan configuration etc and pretty much the same fan profiles. My CPU idles in the 50-60 degrees celcius, compared to my intel which was in the mid 20's, maybe low 30's if it the ambient temps are higher. During gaming, it stays in the 60's, hasn't hit 70 but I haven't played any heavy games. After exiting the game, the temps don't come back down for some reason.

Maybe some BIOS tweaks would help lower temps?

I also put the thermal paste using the single blob in the center approach, but I've read that for Ryzen a horizontal line that covers 80% of the width of the chip is the way to go? Some say it doesn't matter...

Any suggestions would be helpful. For now, I haven't touched BIOS, other than implementing fan profiles and DOCP for my memory.

Thanks.
Disable CPB if you want temps as old CPU. With CPB enabled it will overclock high on idle and with 100% usage it will lower clocks as well voltage.

Disable CPB if you want temps as old CPU. With CPB enabled it will overclock high on idle and with 100% usage it will lower clocks as well voltage.

Thanks, will try this right meow!

EDIT:

I tried it. Sent you a private message.

Last edited:
Back