• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe to overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ripsta

My specs are:
AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core Processor 3.8GHz
MSI 760GM-P34(FX) (MS-7641)
8GB RAM
EVGA GTX 770 SC

I already overclocked my CPU with AMD OVerdrive to 4.0 but I want to make it 4.5. I also overclocked my memory speed on my vid card to +350mhz.

Is it safe for my mobo if I OC my CPU to 4.5?

Thanks in Advance.

Safe is a relative term, that motherboard is not made for overclocking. Can the Cpu bo overclocked on it, obviously yes but it could also fail. Msi also has had a bad reputation on the AMD side, they have weak VRM sections and tend to fail when pushed. If they fail you will be lucky if the motherboard is the only component that goes, we have seen instances when the VRM section fails and takes the Cpu and/or the Ram and Gpu with it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if it were my system and I wanted to Oc, I'd be getting a new motherboard for starters.

i understand. i just want my games to run on max with a continuous 60fps but i get a few lag spikes. i seen someone else with a similar setup (same mobo) and he/she overclocked to 4.5. if its a great chance i wont **** up my mobo i would be more than willing to try. i already spent so much money on this damn pc. if i spend around 1000 i should be getting up to par gaming, know what i mean?

I completely understand, it's your rig so you may do as you please. I am also speaking from experience, before I really knew about overclocking I tried doing it on a Msi 970A G45 motherboard with a chip that wasn't as demanding as your Fx 4100. I had a Vrm failure RMAed the board and had second failure with the new board. I was lucky it didn't take my Cpu with it, unlike others that it has. Here is our Ocing guide if you want to try and obtain your quest for 4.5. That said if it goes and it takes the rest of your components with it your expenses will have gone up greatly.

^QFT^.

As Mandrake said it is your money and thus you may as you will. You asked if you could overclock with safety and we suggest no. The actual decision is yours.
RGone...ster.

Hello Ripsta and welcome to OCF. Some people understand better with pictures. I give you this.

msi vrm.PNG

I completely understand, it's your rig so you may do as you please. I am also speaking from experience, before I really knew about overclocking I tried doing it on a Msi 970A G45 motherboard with a chip that wasn't as demanding as your Fx 4100. I had a Vrm failure RMAed the board and had second failure with the new board. I was lucky it didn't take my Cpu with it, unlike others that it has. Here is our Ocing guide if you want to try and obtain your quest for 4.5. That said if it goes and it takes the rest of your components with it your expenses will have gone up greatly.

I see. Well what about the GPU? Also should I declock my CPU?
What would be a good affordable mobo for OC'ing?

Lol. Here is a pick of my deceased 890fxa-gd65. Yours is essentially the mATX version of this board. I will say it should overclock better that your 760 due to the heatsinks, but it's still a 4+2 power phase. The other thing you have in your favor is the FX-4130 is only 4 cores with a TDP OF 125W. Again these MSI'S have a terrible reputation, especially with FX and Phenom chips.

20150112_165235.jpg

Lol. Here is a pick of my deceased 890fxa-gd65. Yours is essentially the mATX version of this board. I will say it should overclock better that your 760 due to the heatsinks, but it's still a 4+2 power phase. The other thing you have in your favor is the FX-4130 is only 4 cores with a TDP OF 125W. Again these MSI'S have a terrible reputation, especially with FX and Phenom chips.

View attachment 158474

ok heres the problem tho. i actually detached the heatsink. i cant find the original screws but i just have these metal ones. if i screw them on will it be fine?

ok heres the problem tho. i actually detached the heatsink. i cant find the original screws but i just have these metal ones. if i screw them on will it be fine?

Why on earth did you take the heatsinks off the board? I would not run the board without whatever heatsinks it had. Presumably mosfet, northbridge etc... Even with the heatsinks attached that board would be a candidate for failure with too much demand on it electrically.

...Even with the heatsinks attached that board would be a candidate for failure with too much demand on it electrically.

^This

Removing the heatsink is not a big deal so long as it gets put back properly. There is a thermal pad that goes under it and the screws have rubber washers and springs to apply the proper pressure to the MOSFET's. I would not use "...just these screws".

^This

Removing the heatsink is not a big deal so long as it gets put back properly. There is a thermal pad that goes under it and the screws have rubber washers and springs to apply the proper pressure to the MOSFET's. I would not use "...just these screws".

Yup, you need that heatsink level on those little buggers or it is a big fail.

Back