• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy Bridge 2600K/2500k batch# and overclock thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This thread is making me lean more and more towards intel for my next gaming rig. I'll wait for bulldozer though to make my decision. Awesome results in this thread guys.
5.2 ghz unbelievable.

This thread is making me lean more and more towards intel for my next gaming rig. I'll wait for bulldozer though to make my decision. Awesome results in this thread guys.
5.2 ghz unbelievable.

Well it all depends what is allowing the grater overclock, if they increased the 16 stage pipe, i'm not impressed at all. The P4 prescott had a 31 stage pipe and would do 8.0GHz so that is just a numbers game and some of the gaming bench marks show that i7 3.0GHz 1366 will beat i7 2600k 3.4Ghz.

If the increased in speed was the 32nm die shrink that would be Awesome.

When you increase speed by stage pipeline it does not scale well and is inefficient with allot of aplications like the old net burst.

It's like you can go from 4.0Ghz-5.0GHz however you gain vary little performance with a big pipeline.

Last edited:
Well it all depends what is allowing the grater overclock, if they increased the 16 stage pipe, i'm not impressed at all. The P4 prescott had a 31 stage pipe and would do 8.0GHz so that is just a numbers game and some of the gaming bench marks show that i7 3.0GHz 1366 will beat i7 2600k 3.4Ghz.

If the increased in speed was the 32nm die shrink that would be Awesome.

When you increase speed by stage pipeline it does not scale well and is inefficient with allot of aplications like the old net burst.

It's like you can go from 4.0Ghz-5.0GHz however you gain vary little performance with a big pipeline.

You raise a good point but the reviews I've been reading give me the impression that these chips can run close to the big dogs. The big thing about this series is that it's really bringing the price down for the performance that you used to get only out of Intel's super-high range of chips. It all depends on perspective too, I came from an LGA 775 Q6600 and this is a great improvement over that in a few regards (woo DDR3!). Time will tell with AMD's release but the last few products they had really disapointed me. They get the hype going and then review sites finally get their hands on them and are like "ehhhh, AMD is OK for a value build".

btw, good read:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/1

Asus P8P67 Deluxe on UEFI 1003, 2600k #L040B705, 4.4 Ghz, all defaults in UEFI except for the Turbo Ratio has been set to 44. Cooling is a Tuniq Tower 120 Exteme, TX-3 paste (not sure I like this stuff yet, came with the cooler), and an Antec 1200 case with stock fans all cranked to max. I'm sure I can go higher and I will eventually set the vcore myself, but I am just testing for now. I am hitting close to 66C running IntelBurnTest, and CPU-Z shows a steady 1.280 vcore when doing so. I am running HyperPi on all of the cores/threads in the background to get the CPU to step up to 4.4 ghz for the screenshot, but the max temps listed under CPUID are for my IntelBurnTest run, and the current temps were with HyperPi running for about 5 minutes. HyperPi is also causing vcore to land around 1.300 vcore vs. 1.280 vcore on IntelBurnTest. CPU drops to 1600 mhz and 1.0 vcore at idle.

It also looks like Asus has allowed us to set the base multiplier higher than the default of 34, allowing for overclocking without using Turbo boost. I haven't tested this but with the shipped UEFI I was not able to take it over 34, and now the field allows me to enter whatever number I want. Again, I haven't actually set it. They moved some of the features around in the UEFI as well, which is nice because I was having some trouble finding them.

I'll push it much further and report later.

Attachments

• 4400mhz 1.3v.png
    4400mhz 1.3v.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 1,250
Last edited:
It also looks like Asus has allowed us to set the base multiplier higher than the default of 34, allowing for overclocking without using Turbo boost. I haven't tested this but with the shipped UEFI I was not able to take it over 34, and now the field allows me to enter whatever number I want. Again, I haven't actually set it. They moved some of the features around in the UEFI as well, which is nice because I was having some trouble finding them.

I'll push it much further and report later.
Can you give the base multiplier a try? Because others have reported that it reverts back to stock when you save settings.

Can you give the base multiplier a try? Because others have reported that it reverts back to stock when you save settings.

Interesting that you mention that. I too noticed this multi option and when I booted my OC was gone. The feature seems a bit wonky atm, I'm sure Asus will straighten it out eventually. Right now I either idle at 1.6GHz or I'm full on 4 cores at 4GHz.

Did you guys do a fresh install of Windows 7 ? got a setup that I'm happy with and need to understand any difficulties with trying to use it with the new motherboard and chip. Thank You!

I sold off my 1st 2600K and I'm now testing two others... L039B214 and L041B741.
Both batch seem pretty decent for SB and are able to run x46 with vcore in the 1.31v/1.32v load range. Some of the better (gem?) SB 2600K chips can do x47 and x48 with the same voltages. Biostar TP67XE and cooling is a Noctua NH-U12P with push/pull.

[email protected] (9hrs.) load:
L039B214at46.png

[email protected] (4hrs.) load:
L041B74146GHz.png

[email protected] WPrime 1024M load:
L041B74150GHzWprime1024M.png

Last edited:
I took a look at the link, are all cores running at 5GHz it would seem some are doing less because of turbo boost from looking at individual core temps 98c 69c 75c 77c 71c?
Well, since the first number isn't a core temp, the 69-77 spread isn't really that far out of line. I see 8 threads in Prime in the Screen Shot. I've got core spread of 5-8 degrees C on this Opteron, but my I7 mobile is only off by 2-3 degrees. I can see it being in line with the norm.

Looks good:). I was wondering if you could run prime95 blend at 4.5Ghz or 5.0GHz i would really like to see temps and TMonitor turbo in action with prime95.

Wprime 1024M only loads the cpu 4 cores approximately 25% total.

Well, since the first number isn't a core temp, the 69-77 spread isn't really that far out of line. I see 8 threads in Prime in the Screen Shot. I've got core spread of 5-8 degrees C on this Opteron, but my I7 mobile is only off by 2-3 degrees. I can see it being in line with the norm.
Thanks I only looked at the first two numbers, the first one being CPU temp sensor.:bang head You are correct that is a normal core temp sensor variance.

Looks good:). I was wondering if you could run prime95 blend at 4.5Ghz or 5.0GHz i would really like to see temps and TMonitor turbo in action with prime95.

Wprime 1024M only loads the cpu 4 cores approximately 25% total.

I have not stressed with Prime/LinX at 5.0GHz yet but here is a quick Prime small FFT at 4.6GHz. Cooling is with a Noctua NH-U12P push/pull. I've run 24hrs (plus) crunching 8 threads of Rosetta at ~1.31v/1.32v load and so far it seems stable.

L041B74146GHzPrimesmallfft.png

I have not stressed with Prime/LinX at 5.0GHz yet but here is a quick Prime small FFT at 4.6GHz. Cooling is with a Noctua NH-U12P push/pull. I've run 24hrs (plus) crunching 8 threads of Rosetta at ~1.31v/1.32v load and so far it seems stable.

L041B74146GHzPrimesmallfft.png
Thanks Vary good:thup: that's what I wanted to see, also thanks for letting me know it ran stable for 24hr, im sold.

I absolutely don't need a sandybridge, however i stopped buying $13000 motorcycles because there is nothing to look forward to because the HP has not been going up in the last 3 years, so i have some saved money to burn.

So thanks again you maid up my mind, i'm heading to microcenter to pick up i5 2500K

I can't wait to see how this really compares with my old quad with using GTX 570 with both platforms in gaming clock for clock with Benchmarking Fraps.:)

Last edited:
do the current P67 boards have vdroop controller?

Yes vdroop is part of Intel's spec for sandybridge and yes motherboards can turn that feature down/off. Each manufacture calls it something different and not exactly obvious.

Yes vdroop is part of Intel's spec for sandybridge and yes motherboards can turn that feature down/off. Each manufacture calls it something different and not exactly obvious.

Awesome I recall back in 775 c2d days some high end mobos had it some didnt. Sweet hope Evga releases their p67 soon

I have another question you used a true black how did that do compared to Noctua NH-U

I have a true black now.

Also what are the temps just with prime95 and no other program running because when you do that it generates more heat.

Back