• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GunnerMan

Well as some of you read my build had overheating probems, well after hours of chin scratching I lay the mobo flat on the table ad get up close and personal with the CPU and heatsink, turns out the fan controller temp scensor was holding the heatsink about 1/2 a mm off the CPU on 1 side of it, so I took HS off, replaces thermal grease removed cesncor screewed HS back on and no space :) Turn on we are getting 27C!!

Now for the Hard drive, we got 1 SATA 150 gig drive, this is my first experience with SATA so im having some problems... it is on a ASUS A8V Mobo on Array 0. On bootup it detects it and is set to the 3rd boot device in BIOS but when I go to install windows it says No Harddisk found, blah blah blah setup cannot continue check this check that blah bla press ENTER to restart, I fiddled with the BIOS for about 1.5 hours before I decided to call it quits for the night and come here... thanks a bunch!

You need to hit F6 and load the SATA drives from floppy at the start of the Windows installation.

Instead of the VIA Chipset Drivers, use the PRomise RAID controller, merely set it to Single drive operation first. Also, disconnect any IDE HDDs you have when installing windows. Just helps keep your drive letter to C:, as opposed to D: or E:

(Its under Advanced\Onboard Devices\PROMISE RAID controller) Use your Promise SATA Drivers by putting them on a floppy disk, then pressing F6 when you install windows. This will bring up a list of drivers in a few seconds, don't worry if something doesn't instantly happen. Then, select the WindowsXP Sata 378 drivers, and your good to go. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy a SATA XP, with Athlon 64 technology!(Voot!)

(And imagine, a computer store turned me down because I'm not A+ Certified)

Thanks alot wulda been years before I thought of looking for a floppy, was at that screen once lol. Last year my school offered A+ hardware cert classs but they used cmps from like '97 so it was worthless..... learn more on these forums :attn:

Back