• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SC2 + GTX 970 + PG27UQ (Resolution: 3840x2160 & Refresh Rate: 98Hz) = no signal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajy0903

SC2 + GTX 970 + PG27UQ (Resolution: 3840x2160 & Refresh Rate: 98Hz) = no signal?

Exactly what the title says: SC2 + GTX 970 + PG27UQ (Screen Resolution: 3840 x 2160 & Refresh Rate: 98Hz) = no signal?

Something funny happened.

My computer was fine and suddenly the problem occurred.

When I play Starcraft 2, during game play, suddenly the monitor shows, "No Signal" and become black.

Since I can't see or do, I just push reset button on case.

And I run Starcraft 2 again, during the game play, same thing happens.

Is SC2 + GTX 970 + PG27UQ (Resolution: 3840 x 2160 & Refresh Rate: 98Hz) not a good combination?

Last edited:
My computer was fine and suddenly the problem occurred.
Is SC2 + GTX 970 + PG27UQ (Resolution: 3840 x 2160 & Refresh Rate: 98Hz) not a good combination?
Since the computer was fine (I assume while playing this game) and suddenly the problem occurred, I don't see how your combination of game, card and monitor would be bad - assuming the hardware is working properly.

At this point, there is no way to tell exactly what the problem is. It could be the monitor, your card, a cable or the power supply. Is your graphics card driver current? Did you recently update it? Did you recently update the game?

Does it happen with any other program or game?

Did you try power cycling the monitor (instead of rebooting the computer)?

Start with the easy stuff first. Make sure both ends of the graphics cable are tightly fastened. If tight, you need to try a different monitor (hopefully with the same resolution) on your computer and see what happens. And it would be good to swap in another capable PSU to eliminate power as the problem.

Does the same thing happen when you are playing other demanding games? Sounds like it could be some kind of thermal issue either with the CPU/motherboard or the card. How far into the game time wise does this seem to happen? Doe it happen at the same point in the game every time? Is it repeatable in this sense?

I would do some stress testing that doesn't use the video card much (like Prime95) and then some that doesn't use the CPU much (like Heaven). That might help you distinguish whether the problem is video card related or CPU/motherboard related. Are all the fans spinning on the card during hard game play? Is the card's heat sink clogged with dust?

With a video card that old it could have developed some loose solder traces from years of temp change contraction/expansion. There is a process of "baking" in an oven that can fix this.

Remove and wipe the drivers and do a fresh install of the latest drivers. There are utilities out there that will help you do a complete wipe of the drivers.

Also try some basic thing like checking for loose monitor cable connections or even swapping out the cable. Chances are it's something with the video card but doesn't hurt to try some of these other basic troubleshooting measures that are free or at least cost effective.

Other than these measures I have outlined it boils down to swapping out parts.

Last edited:
Since the computer was fine (I assume while playing this game) and suddenly the problem occurred, I don't see how your combination of game, card and monitor would be bad - assuming the hardware is working properly.

At this point, there is no way to tell exactly what the problem is. It could be the monitor, your card, a cable or the power supply. Is your graphics card driver current? Did you recently update it? Did you recently update the game?

Does it happen with any other program or game?

Did you try power cycling the monitor (instead of rebooting the computer)?

Start with the easy stuff first. Make sure both ends of the graphics cable are tightly fastened. If tight, you need to try a different monitor (hopefully with the same resolution) on your computer and see what happens. And it would be good to swap in another capable PSU to eliminate power as the problem.

Thanks for reply.
Display adapter driver version 25.21.14.1917 (I see this isn't latest driver)
This only happens when I play Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.
I cant't see anything, so I don't think I can do anything?
Everything is tightly fastened.
And unfortunately, this is only monitor that has only this resolution. And this is only monitor that I have.

Forgot to write PC Spec, here you go:
- Thermaltake Core X9 (CA-1D8-00F1WN-00
- Corsair RM Series RM850 PSU
- Intel Core i5-4690 Processor (6M Cache, 3.5 GHz, up to 3.90 GHz)
- Asus Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC) Motherboard
- 2x Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8G (2x4G) DDR3-1600 Memory
- ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5
- ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ Gaming Monitor – 27” 4K (3840 x 2160), 144Hz, HDR, G-SYNC
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (ENG)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Does the same thing happen when you are playing other demanding games? Sounds like it could be some kind of thermal issue either with the CPU/motherboard or the card. How far into the game time wise does this seem to happen? Doe it happen at the same point in the game every time? Is it repeatable in this sense?

I would do some stress testing that doesn't use the video card much (like Prime95) and then some that doesn't use the CPU much (like Heaven). That might help you distinguish whether the problem is video card related or CPU/motherboard related. Are all the fans spinning on the card during hard game play? Is the card's heat sink clogged with dust?

With a video card that old it could have developed some loose solder traces from years of temp change contraction/expansion. There is a process of "baking" in an oven that can fix this.

Remove and wipe the drivers and do a fresh install of the latest drivers. There are utilities out there that will help you do a complete wipe of the drivers.

Also try some basic thing like checking for loose monitor cable connections or even swapping out the cable. Chances are it's something with the video card but doesn't hurt to try some of these other basic troubleshooting measures that are free or at least cost effective.

Other than these measures I have outlined it boils down to swapping out parts.

Thanks for reply.
This only happens when I play game, which are: Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 (This is only games that I play).
The problem never happens when I don't play games.
The funny thing is it has working fine until few days ago.
Every cable is tightly connected (I use DP cable for it)

Forgot to write PC Spec, here you go:
- Thermaltake Core X9 (CA-1D8-00F1WN-00)
- Corsair RM Series RM850 PSU
- Intel Core i5-4690 Processor (6M Cache, 3.5 GHz, up to 3.90 GHz)
- Asus Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC) Motherboard
- 2x Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8G (2x4G) DDR3-1600 Memory
- ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5
- ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ Gaming Monitor – 27” 4K (3840 x 2160), 144Hz, HDR, G-SYNC

P.S:
I just updated to latest nvidia driver.
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (ENG)

Last edited:
This only happens when I play Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.
Might mean something, might not but I note both of those games come from Blizzard Entertainment. They might be using some common core code. You might have to try a game from a different developer.
Every cable is tightly connected (I use DP cable for it)
Then as I first suggested earlier, you need to see if you can try a different monitor (or maybe that monitor on a different computer) and see what happens. And you need to make sure that PSU is good - especially before spending money on something else.

Might mean something, might not but I note both of those games come from Blizzard Entertainment. They might be using some common core code. You might have to try a game from a different developer. Then as I first suggested earlier, you need to see if you can try a different monitor (or maybe that monitor on a different computer) and see what happens. And you need to make sure that PSU is good - especially before spending money on something else.
Another unfortunate: I only game I have is those 2, I didn't buy any other games besides those.

This is only computer I have and I have no other monitor.

This is my PSU's link - Corsair RM Series RM850 PSU
Can you check if this is good one?

For now, let me try install latest driver, cause mine seems to be 2nd latest (from Feb, 2019), not newest (March 3, 2019)

* I just updated to latest nvidia driver.

Last edited:
The RM series from Corsair are good PSUs. And 850W is plenty big. But until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, even with the best products from the most reliable companies, there will always be units the fail prematurely.

The RM series from Corsair are good PSUs. And 850W is plenty big. But until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, even with the best products from the most reliable companies, there will always be units the fail prematurely.
Oh, ok.
Maybe my problem is with GTX 970 and resolution?
My current resolution is like: 3840 x 2160 & Refresh Rate: 98Hz
Maybe this one doesn't work well with GTX 970?
I just found this: http://4k.com/gaming/nvidia-gtx-970-geforce-review-4k-gpu/
Most importantly of all, the GTX 970 simply isn’t a real 4K GPU. Now this wouldn’t be a defect of the card if it were strictly advertised as just a Full HD/1440p graphics card --since you can’t hold against something the absence of that which it never claimed to offer. However, we’ve noted that a lot of insinuation does indeed go into giving the GeForce 970 a reputation for 4K UHD-capable gaming –not just from Nvidia itself but also from a number of other manufacturer sources. Thus, because 4K is something the card has been suggested for, we’ll have to say that nope, 4K ultra HD graphics are definitely not something this GPU will deliver soundly to your PC. It can handle 3840 x 2160 pixel graphics but only with lower frame rates and weakness at anything but low detail settings.

It what they say in above link is true?

Cause as you can see my monitor spec, it is 3840 x 2160 and my current PC resolution is same.

Last edited:
Maybe my problem is with GTX 970 and resolution?
My current resolution is like: 3840 x 2160 & Refresh Rate: 98Hz
Maybe this one doesn't work well with GTX 970?
Except you indicated it used to work. And if this was the problem, it would happen in your browser and other programs too.

Except you indicated it used to work. And if this was the problem, it would happen in your browser and other programs too.

Ok.
Let me test game again, since I updated to latest GPU Driver.

*P.S:
Just finished one game in SC2 in Hard mode and so far the problem doesn't occur.
Maybe the game wasn't intensive as before.

Yup, game wasn't intensive as before.
When the game was intensive, problem occurs again.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "the game wasn't as intensive as before"? Did you relax some of the settings?

if your cpu/memory is oced i would start by either dropping the oc or retesting both to see if your oc is still stable. with a system of a certain age components can start to fail randomly that may not have anything to do with your gpu.

with a system of a certain age components can start to fail randomly that may not have anything to do with your gpu.
I agree. And that "certain age" is from brand spanking new to 25+ years old. ;) That is, something does not have to be old to start failing. While it is true, if electronics survive the first few hours, they will likely survive through years of "normal" use. However, overclocking components beyond the published capabilities is NOT "normal" use.

What do you mean by "the game wasn't as intensive as before"? Did you relax some of the settings?

No.
I meant, the Mode of the game of map that I play.
This map, there are several difficulty.
When people choose "Hard Mode", it isn't intensive.
When people choose Highest Difficulty, that is when the game goes very intensive.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

if your cpu/memory is oced i would start by either dropping the oc or retesting both to see if your oc is still stable. with a system of a certain age components can start to fail randomly that may not have anything to do with your gpu.

As far as I know, I didn't OCed.
I never do OC in my life, cause I hate doing OC.
So, OC isn't problem caused for my problem I think.
And the problem of mine "only occurs when I play these 2 games that I mentioned above".

Last edited:
Back