• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scrolling gets choppy on Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I'm using a Logitech G9 Lasermouse with Logitech SetPoint software, version 5.20.40, driver version 4.82.11

For some darn reason, once in a while when I scroll up or down it's not SMOOTH. I didn't have this problem on Windows XP Pro when I used it months ago. I've been ignoring this problem. Usually when I close firefox (latest version) and re-open, the problem goes away, but it always comes back (I leave FF on almost all day long).

I'm not sure if this is software related or not, which I'm inclined to think so as it's intermittent and is fixed when I re-open firefox.

Anyone have a clue? I'm going to see if IE8 does it... basically, when I want to get to the top of the page really quickly without pushing CTRL+HOME, I often PUSH the mouse scroll button inward and then aim up fast... normally that would work, but when it's choppy it takes longer.

I'll report back if I find out more info, but I haven't found a solution yet. Possible culprits that I think of:
Firefox
Display driver
Mouse driver
Windows 7

I really don't think the mouse is going bad... it almost would make no sense to blame the mouse in my opinion.

Do you have Flash heavy sites loaded in tabs? Maybe try updating Flash.

Do you have Flash heavy sites loaded in tabs? Maybe try updating Flash.

I'm still trying to narrow down the problem... it did it again before, but without having to close FF it went away... weird... annoying too!

Okay, I checked RAM and CPU and they seem fine while this happens. I get about 3fps on the browser (tried calculating in my head) when I scroll. The method that really shows it is when you push the mousewheel in and it goes you the little circle with up-down arrows... you move your mouse up and it scrolls up, vice versa.

I didn't close my browser... closed the tab, opened a new tab to this one, and it's fine.

It's weird... still can't make sense out of it. I keep thinking it's a driver issue, either the mouse or the video (software or driver).

I remember reading a post a while back, where someone had a similar problem. It seemed that the problem had something to do with SetPoint. Have you tried it with the native Windows drivers? May not be an option for you, since I hear you are a gamer:p, but it may help. Have you looked for an updated version of SetPoint? Just trying to rule out some things. And I still owe you a :beer:, GM.:rock:

I remember reading a post a while back, where someone had a similar problem. It seemed that the problem had something to do with SetPoint. Have you tried it with the native Windows drivers? May not be an option for you, since I hear you are a gamer:p, but it may help. Have you looked for an updated version of SetPoint? Just trying to rule out some things. And I still owe you a :beer:, GM.:rock:

have you tried plugging in your mouse to a different usb port ? or playing with the polling rate ?

Good call on the setpoint and usb port.

I'll try to mess with this another time... doing a bunch of last min things as my fiance and I are throwing a NYE party tomorrow. :)

Good call on the setpoint and usb port.

I'll try to mess with this another time... doing a bunch of last min things as my fiance and I are throwing a NYE party tomorrow. :)

It was just something I found posted a while back. I have an LX7 or maybe 9(or something like that), with the newest version of SetPoint I could find, and don't have any problems. I had one wireless mouse from Logitech that would burn through AA batteries in less than a month with SetPoint installed, but running off native Windows drivers, it would last 4 times as long. Another thing I have noticed is that you have to try to find just the right version of SetPoint to get the best performance out the hardware (remind anyone of video drivers?:p).

I still have this problem. Windows 7 x64 on my laptop, using nvidia geforce 8600GT M.
ONLY for ocforums do I have this problem, and only on firefox (I'm on the latest version). I've had this problem for a very long time. If I close and re-open FF, it may be fine for a bit, but scrolling always ends up being choppy again, whether I use the mwheel, the scroll bar, arrows, or pgdn and pgup. I have adblock plus enabled, and not sure I'm working it correctly, but I've tried disabling some banners just to test... still choppy. =/

I've had this problem before, something in the windows updates fixes it I'm not sure what. I think it's something like one of the .net framework updates I'm not sure.

I've had this problem before, something in the windows updates fixes it I'm not sure what. I think it's something like one of the .net framework updates I'm not sure.

I still get this problem on my laptop, and ONLY at overclockers forums... ONLY!! No other website does it.

So... for now, I just use IE for OCF and FF for everything else. It sucks, but it'll do... I got sick of trying to figure out the problem. I thought my laptop was up to date...

Oh, well I just use IE anyway so I wouldn't know :p I don't really get why firefox is sooo much better.

Oh, well I just use IE anyway so I wouldn't know :p I don't really get why firefox is sooo much better.

Just been using FF for so long with the gmail manager, adblock plus... and the tabs seem to load faster.

Back