• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scsi 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
SCSI 101

I hadn't seen one of there yet here. So...

SCSI is small computer systems interface and the specification describes the interface in the same way that the ATA specifications describe the behavior of the IDE interface.

Interfaces:
SCSI interfaces come in several varieties grouped by their maximum theoretical bandwidth and width of the bus. Interfaces include:
SCSI-1 5MB/Sec 8 bit SCSI Bus
SCSI-2 5MB/Sec 8 bit SCSI Bus
SCSI-2 Fast 10MB/Sec 8 bit SCSI Bus
SCSI-2 Fast Wide 20MB/Sec 16 bit SCSI Bus
SCSI Ultra 20MB/Sec 8 bit SCSI Bus
SCSI Ultra Wide 40MB/Sec 16 bit SCSI Bus
Ultra2 Wide 80MB/sec 16 bit SCSI Bus
Ultra160 Wide 160MB/sec 16 bit SCSI Bus
Ultra320 Wide 320MB/sec 16 bit SCSI Bus

With the last three being the most commonly used interfaces. Anything slower is usually not worth the time, expense and effort.
Unlike DMA modes for the ATA specification (with the exception of PIO mode devices), connection of compatible lower speed devices can cause the interface to lower its performance to the level of the slowest device. When all Wide devices are used, the bus will use the lower speed protocol while accessing the slower devices. Use of narrow SCSI-2 devices on a Ultra2 Low Voltage Differential (LVD) port will cause the entire bus to run at the SCSI Ultra 20MB/sec level or slower and mixing theses drives should be avoided at all costs. Very few people still use the narrow bus (8 bit), but devices are still available, most commonly in optical drives.

The number of devices, which can be attached to any channel, varies with the type of controller used and usually the cabling requirements. Narrow (8 bit) controllers can support up to 7 devices and the controller. Wide (16 bit) controllers can handle 15 devices and the controller. The reason that this is noted per channel is due to the many multi channel controllers in use. Controllers can commonly come with 4 or more channels, particularly in higher end RAID controllers.

The devices on a SCSI chain use identification numbers rather then the master/slave configuration of IDE specifications. The devices are numbered from 0 to 7 on narrow interfaces and 0 to 15 on wide interfaces, with ID 7 typically being the controller on both bus styles. For a drive to be bootable, it needs to be ID 0 on most controllers. ID also can determine the priority of the devices with the lower numbers(0-6) having increased priority.

Connections:
Over the years, SCSI has used a variety of connection styles. This has added some confusion, since there are adapters for the various types of internal and external cabling. Currently, the cabling that you are most likely to see is the 68 pin internal type. It supports protocols ranging up to U320 and is a standard connection interface which has adapters available to both 80 pin SCA and old 50 pin narrow connectors. The 80 pin SCA connectors have provide both power and addressing functions to the SCA drives(80 to 68 pin adapters are available if you have these drives). The 68 pin type connectors rely on jumpers on the drive to set ID and other functions and have separate power connections. The 50 pin connectors are similar to IDE connectors and are generally found on very old HDDs or optical drives up to present releases. External connections are completely different from internal connectors and the most common types are high density and very high density(VHDCI) connectors.

Termination:
All verities of SCSI require termination of cabling, much like old 10baseT cables. Old 50 pin devices often were able to self terminate the chain, but newer devices(all 68 or 80 pin) use separate terminators. These can be either active or passive and will be attached at the opposite end of the chain from the controller or host bus adapter(HBA). Cabling should be arranged as seen below:

HBA-----Drive-----Drive-----Drive-----Terminator

RAID:
RAID is available with some SCSI controllers, typically, only on the more expensive varieties. Software RAID can easily be implemented with any controller, but you’ll be limited to non-Boot drives for arrays. If you want to boot from the array, a SCSI RAID controller will be necessary. Unlike most IDE RAID implementations, SCSI RAID controllers normally have onboard cache and processor to perform the RAID calculations. This enables a far wider assortment of array configurations, including many that are proprietary with controllers. The limitations inherent in this include: expense, low processor speed on the controller(software RAID can be faster), often larger or full length cards, limited cache quantities, increase in seek and access times and often limited SCSI channels(which can become saturated). There are benefits that often offset these things: increased data redundancy with levels above 0, low to no processor loading for RAID processes, many options including redundant controllers with failover, when using SCA drives on a backplane hot swap drives and higher level controllers have restorable configuration information on the drives increasing survivability in the event of a controller needing to be replaced.

Benefits:
The reasons for utilizing SCSI include data security, speed, device compatibility, high number of available devices per channel, flexible configuration options, high bandwidth controllers and wide variety of supported RAID levels. Data security is a standard implementation with most SCSI controllers. By default, they do CRC checking on data written to the drives and have bad sector scanning enabled by default. This reduces the number of soft errors that occur on the drives. PATA IDE does not have this capacity, I’ve heard rumors that SATA is supposed to support it in either SATA-1 or SATA-2, but have not confirmed it as of yet. Disk speed in terms of STR, access time and burst rates can be higher with SCSI disks than any media other than solid state. Wide varieties of equipment are supported in SCSI formats, though with the advances in optical drives, it’s usually better to leave them attached with IDE. With any of the Wide SCSI options up to 15 devices can be supported per channel and multi channel controllers are widely available. SCSI controllers are available with up to PCI-X 64/133 interfaces. Finally, hardware RAID controllers can be found that support the widest range of RAID levels.

Drawbacks:
The most noticeable drawback to SCSI is cost. Integrated IDE requires a cable and drive. SCSI typically requires a controller, cable, drive and terminator. With high speed disks, the drives are expensive and low capacity. SCSI is initially harder to understand than IDE and can create a great deal of frustration in first time users. Finally, as with other interfaces, advertising is better than reality. Just because the interface is 160MB/s or faster, doesn’t mean that’s what you’ll get. The drives are mechanically limited in their available speed and to go faster always costs more. SCSI hardware RAID can be faster, but often is limited by the processor on the controller. Software RAID can actually be faster than hardware RAID due to the difference in processor speed. Finally, SCSI is normally optimized for high IO rates and multiple user configurations. This may be less advantageous to single users and satisfactory performance can sometimes be obtained, with much less expense, using IDE interface drives.

How to order:
Make sure that you have everything together that you’ll need. At a minimum, you’ll need a controller, drive, cable and terminator. You can use faster cables and terminators with slower drives and controllers without any performance problems. Slower cables and terminators will limit performance normally. If you’re planning to upgrade later, go ahead and get the best cables and terminators that you can afford. If you are using SCA drives you will need a SCA adapter to go from 80 pin SCA to 68 pin SCSI. This will have a molex power connection and jumpers to set drive settings. You’ll need one adapter per drive. You need one terminator per cable and it goes at the end furthers from the controller. If you are running on a non workstation or server mainboard with a regular 32 bit 33Mhz PCI bus, you will not need more than a U160 controller, unless you are planning to migrate to a faster bus later. The PCI bus bandwidth is not sufficient to require more. One important note on ordering cables, the controller may be considered as a device. When you see a cable advertised as 2 device, it sometimes has three positions, one for the controller, drive and terminator. Check with the vendor to make sure. Make sure that you order cables with enough positions for the drives you intend to use, preferably with an extra connection or more for future expansion

Last edited:
It's not copied. I worked on it a bit at a time and finally got around to posting a preliminary copy. If my fiber channel array works out, I'll be adding sections on that as well.

hi,..i figure since this is SCSI 101 i can ask the pros a question.... i have an adaptec controller and a seagate connor Ctt8000-s tape backup drive. Thats all, i have no other drives on the channel. The drive is recognized by win xp pro, but when ever i ask it to carry out any operation it errors....the drive will run tape, but it doesnt function when its asked to....i set the termination power, and active termination jumpers to ON, the card has auto termination....the only other thing i can think of is setting the parity...which i have NO idea what it does....could this all be affecting why my drive doesnt work right?

Try setting the Termination Power jumper to off. It's intended to provide power to active terminators when the HBA doesn't power terminators automatically. Since your drive is self terminating, it will not need Termination Power enabled. Despite this it should be working without errors. The drive could be operated through the Windows Backup utility, but other applications are much more reliable(if very expensive). Since you're getting errors, check the event viewer and get some specifics on the errors. It may simply be that the drive needs to be cleaned or progressively up to a drive problem due to age. These units are all getting pretty old now. I gave away my last unit about a year ago. I think I still have some tapes though,

Can someone give some more LVD info?

My older Compaq server's main card, as well as add-on all are LVD. I'm guessing I can only use LVD drives with this.

Are all LVD drives properly noted with "LVD" in their specs, or is LVD the common connection, and usually HVD is marked when needed?

For example two 68-pin Seagate drives, this Seagate drive is:
"Ultra-SCSI Wide ASA2" http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/scsi/st423451w.html

While this is listed as:
"Ultra-SCSI Wide Low Voltage Differential"
"Ultra2-SCSI Wide ASA I, SCAM level 2 (1 default)
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/scsi/st150176lc.html

I'm assuming only the one listed as LVD is compatable with my setup?

You can use either LVD or SE devices with LVD hosts. HVD is incompatible and will damage either devices or hosts when connected with LVD/SE devices. Most equipment will be LVD at this point. SE devices will limit the synch of the bus to SE data rates and should be attached using SE hosts to allow for the highest synch rate.

The first drive, in addition to being exceptionally slow rotationally, is a Wide interface and will synch at 40MB/s. The second drive is a U2W and allows an 80MB/s synch. While marginally better performance wise, I'd strongly recommend staying away from older SCSI drives, as performance is often far below current IDE and SCSI drives. Both drives are compatible with current hosts, but a low interface rates. If you already have the drives, then they might be usable as a data drives using an inexpensive older controller. I would still recommend against using drives that are likely 5 or more years old.

Yeah, the first drive was slow, etc... but when I can get 12 23g drives for $20, figured it would be good for mass storage.

This is for a Compaq ML350 first gen server, and is somewhat old, so just getting what will work with it, yet is still cheap as it's a home server. Supports Wide Ultra2 & Wide Ultra Scsi-3 LVD drives.

So most drives will be LVD even if they don't specifically state it then?

Think I'll just get a Compaq System UE storage rack & start loading it with drives.

That would be a decent setup for a file server, though I would recommend either good backups or(perferrably and) multiple arrays of software RAID-1 for data security. Power consumption, heat and noise will be high as I remember operating noise at somewhere around 40dB for idle and heat is usually very high. If you are using an external expansion, make sure that it takes 68 pin drives, many are SCA only.

Nice post, so many people dont understand scsi with all the different connectors and speeds.

Good job

My first SCSI

I've resently purchased a group of SCSI HDD (five) to use with a AMI MegaRAID Express series 466 host adapter (from a Dell PowerEdge 2300...found in a dumpster no less).

The card functions as far as I can tell, 'posted' in my system... had to reset cards settings due to audible alarm (card was looking for pre-configured HDD that were no longer connected).

Card has 16MB 168 pin SDRAM installed (looks to be registered memory). Dual channel, one ex- one internal. Supports RAID 0,1,3,5,10,30,50 (is '10' same as 1+0 ?). Supports SE and LVD (68 pin interface).

HDD are Seagate : ST32550
Interface...........................Fast SCSI-2
Capacity
Unformatted.....................2,541.3 Mbytes
Formatted.........................2,147.4 Mbytes
Disc rotation RPM...............7,200
Average latency.................4.17 msec
Internal transfer rate.........49.4 to 72.0 (Mbits/sec)
Max sync.
SCSI transfer rate
N/ND..................................10 Mbytes/sec
W/WD/WC/DC....................20 Mbytes/sec
Multi-segmented cache......512 Kbytes

The drives cost about $23 (with S/H) and the RAID card was free, so I know it's worth it.
But how will it perform?

I plan to either use level 0 or 3, 5 stripped drives or 4 stripped +1 parity drive.

Also got a 7 device 68 pin SCSI cable with terminator (thought I believe the drives have jumpers for termination).

Might look into upgrading the cards memory, I could go up to 128MB.

If anything seems amiss or you can think of a better RAID level than mentioned above, or whatever please post. :)

While it will probably work fine. Performance will not be what you are expecting and noise levels and power consumption will be very high. The subsystem will be limited by two factors, the controller and the interface. The controller's processor will control the striping and parity modes and the processors are slow. This adds a large amount of latency to the system. Adding memory may help slightly, but will not improve the overall latency to any great level. The interface is going to be a major stumbling block as well. Hopefully, you have the Fast 2 Wide drives with the 68 pin interface, otherwise you'll need adapters for the drives. Havng all of the drives on one channel, I'd expect STRs in 20-30MB/s maximum range, due to controller, drive and channel latency. The drives themselves are not at all what I'd recommend. You'd be better off getting a couple of 9GB U2W or low end U160 drives with a 10K spindle. This will still give slow performance, but will not crawl. The reduced latency and seek times will help and the costs for these drives are still very reasonable.

On the RAID levels, for best throughput, stay with 0 or 1. Some of the other levels are nice, but plan on hanging a bunch of drives and performance being very slow. 10 is equivalent to 1+0 roughly. 30 is RAID 3 on striped drives, etc.

The i960s are stable and usually good processors, but they are only clocked at 100Mhz. This can pose a tremendous bottleneck with parity calculations, especially with advanced RAID levels. By way of comparison, the latest U320s from Intel use the Strongarm processor at 233Mhz. They would be much faster with parity calculations. Another option would be software RAID, since it uses processor cycles at much higher speeds. Not as secure and less RAID level options, but faster. Everything is a tradeoff whe it somes to performance. For a decent investment, consider a U160 controller and drives. U320 is now getting affordable, LSI 21320s, usually Dell pulls, are getting cheap. They feature PCI-X interfaces, single channel(moddable to dual), and RAID 0 or 1 levels at fairly impressive performance. As always, you pay a premium for performance, but sometimes it truely is worth it.

Would you happen to know where i could find driver for the AMI MegaRAID express 466?

I've tried AMI (placed inquiry for driver), but no responce from them.

Tried driver.com... don't have what I need.

I may not be able ti try this SCSI setup out at all. Think I got eBay-happy when I got the drives and cable...

Back