• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scythe Kaze Ultra 3,000RPM FAILED after 100+ hours

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K93George

Registered
Hi all!

A quick heads up for these fans... They are unreliable! Your probably thinking, "well, it is to be expected that one fan is going to go". Well, do I have news for you my curious friend. I had 3 of them in my case...

Ok, let's start from the beginning. I wanted absolute BEAST fans, I didn't care how loud, I just wanted fans that would get the case temp as close to room temp as possible. I installed 2 on the H70 rad and one in the intake. I was planning to install another as intake and 2 on the top after using 2 fan adapters. I was that impressed with there performance.

After a while, within a few weeks, the back fan started to click, I thought that it was odd but decided to ignore it. The clicking stopped and I was able to handle the noisy movement of the blades cutting through the air, but that clicking, that annoying clicking was back. It continued for weeks, but finally stopped. The back fan was causing it.

Everything was great for a few more weeks but finally the front fan started to click, and IT WAS BAD!!! It would click at volumes similar to actually clicking your fingers, now imagine that, constantly for hours (do it! Click your fingers and feel my pain lol). I could handle it and would occasionally block 1 air filter which seemed to fix it. It was good again, for a few days this time, then the back fan started!

To make matters worse, all 3 started to click! I couldn't take it, I... Well...

Out of rage from having people coming into my room at night time asking what the sound was, grabbed the fan, snapped each blade, threw it in the bin, and now I am left with no Kaze 3000 fans, cut my fingers as I snapped the intake fan while it was running, and the case is slightly scratched, damn strong fans I tell you.

To the point, they failed for me. All 3! That is bad, so you have been warned, and I need new fans. What should I get guys? I still want the great air flow and don't care about the noise, I was going to order the 1900rpm slipstream fans but I am worried they will click :S I have lost faith in Scythe, do you think I will be ok with the 1900rpm slipstream fans?

BTW, before you mention the fit I had, yes. I have anger issues, it isn't the first time I have completely destroyed something that has frustrated me... Poor poor PS3 (RLOD), this anger problem is costly =O

Thats too bad. 3000RPM fans aren't for the weak or picky neighbors, or the issue of cohabitating with other human beings. I guess it depends on your fannage needs. You really need fans like that?

Maybe it's time to replace the H70 with some cool n quiet real watercooling.

Good luck.:escape::chair: Hiding from anger...........

Conumdrum,

The fans are perfectly ok (excluding the clicking sound), I couldn't care less about the noise, that noise being the air they move. I don't know if they actually are rated 47dB WITH clicking sound lol

I don't think I could ever be angry at the awesome folk on overclockers.com! Unless you come to my house and start making annoying sounds lol

Sounds crazy, "It is that sound! That sound, that... that... CLICK!!! SOMEBODY MAKE THE CLICKING STOP! ARGGGGGGHHHHH! COME HERE FAN!"

I actually have some pics of the fan blade, would you believe me if I told you those fans could be weapons? Damn cut my finger up =O

That is unlucky! I have 4 of them in my main rig and whilst loud, they don't click. Been running them for around a year and a half now!

Ok, after just completely screwing up the entire message lol I named the wrong fans. I can't have reinstalled the intake fan as I destroyed it lol

Well to make that long message short, I reinstalled the 2 other fans, which I didn't destroy and the noise seems to have stopped! =O The only fan making a slight click is the one behind the rad... It is completely bearable. The interesting thing is, I can't get the fans to click. After having them cause me the grief they did, it seems that they refuse to start clicking.

That is... Until they take on the rule of the intake fan! It seems the filters unbalance it, I can't be bothered going through the entire thing again lol All I know is some fans have barely no lubricant left at all and most is dried up and pretty much just stuck in one pile.

That + the marks around the fan, I have no idea what is going on.

For anyone who did get to read the deleted message, it contained valuable information but it was quite contradicting.

Last edited:
If you want some better quality fans than those Ultra Kaze fans, look at the Panaflo FBA12G12U1BX. They move a ton of air, aren't overly noisy for the air they move and have a much better quality bearing package. And if you want some high performance 120 X 25 mm fans, you can get some of the Gentle Typhoon AP-31 fans, which also move a ton or air and use quality ball bearings in them. I have a couple of the AP-31 fans myself and they kick ***, but I will warn you they are some noisy suckers.

If you want some better quality fans than those Ultra Kaze fans, look at the Panaflo FBA12G12U1BX. They move a ton of air, aren't overly noisy for the air they move and have a much better quality bearing package. And if you want some high performance 120 X 25 mm fans, you can get some of the Gentle Typhoon AP-31 fans, which also move a ton or air and use quality ball bearings in them. I have a couple of the AP-31 fans myself and they kick ***, but I will warn you they are some noisy suckers.

The Panaflo fans are great. Mine are nearly silent at 7V, and will move some serious air when I need to turn them up. If you are looking for more than 115 CFM, you could always go with something like the Delta AFB1212SHE. I ran the AFB1212VHE's for a while, but for the 15 CFM difference over the Panaflo's, I didn't think it was worth twice the noise.:beer:

Back