• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Heating Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickster

OK dont bombared me with all these technical names cause im a novice at computers. I just know a WEENY bit.

I have a *deep breath*:
Asus A7V333
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.6Ghz
Elsa Galdiac GeForce2MMX 511
Creative Sound Blaster LIVE!
Maxtor 40GB 7200 rpm
ATX Mid Tower Casing
4 fans (not sure measurements ill get back to u bout it) positioned in a square in front at the bottom of the casing
2 fans (not sure measurements ill get back to u bout it) at the back.
Arkua 7228 CPU fan running at 7000rpm

All the specs is there.
Prevoisly I was running a Pentium 3 800Mhz and it worked fine for me without any casing fan.
Its my first time working with an AMD when i saw the CPU fan i was shocked! It was a HUGE piece of junk. Then i saw how many fans there were and i was amazed.
So i did a thorough test on games and it kept hanging and restarting. I checked the CPU temperature and HECK it was 60 degrees C!!!!! BTW my country is about 32 degrees C average.
Is there a way to seriously cool this computer down? Yes i do have an aircond but no i try not to use it all the time. And even if i do use it the temp is about 45 degrees C with the covers taken out. Im trying to get it to about 39 degrees C without using aircond and without taking out the cover. My comp isnt under sunlight. Is it possible to cool it cheaply?
Ill show you ppl some pics of my casing so you can visualize.

What thermal compound are you using? Thermal compound is the material inbetween your heatsink and cpu die. I recommend some Artic Silver III. What temperature is your motherboard?

p.s Which part of malaysia are you in?

Rickster said:
OK dont bombared me with all these technical names cause im a novice at computers. I just know a WEENY bit.

I have a *deep breath*:
Asus A7V333
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.6Ghz
Elsa Galdiac GeForce2MMX 511
Creative Sound Blaster LIVE!
Maxtor 40GB 7200 rpm
ATX Mid Tower Casing
4 fans (not sure measurements ill get back to u bout it) positioned in a square in front at the bottom of the casing
2 fans (not sure measurements ill get back to u bout it) at the back.
Arkua 7228 CPU fan running at 7000rpm

All the specs is there.
Prevoisly I was running a Pentium 3 800Mhz and it worked fine for me without any casing fan.
Its my first time working with an AMD when i saw the CPU fan i was shocked! It was a HUGE piece of junk. Then i saw how many fans there were and i was amazed.
So i did a thorough test on games and it kept hanging and restarting. I checked the CPU temperature and HECK it was 60 degrees C!!!!! BTW my country is about 32 degrees C average.
Is there a way to seriously cool this computer down? Yes i do have an aircond but no i try not to use it all the time. And even if i do use it the temp is about 45 degrees C with the covers taken out. Im trying to get it to about 39 degrees C without using aircond and without taking out the cover. My comp isnt under sunlight. Is it possible to cool it cheaply?
Ill show you ppl some pics of my casing so you can visualize.

i dont think u can get it down to 39 degs on air maybe with water. u can try a better heat sink like the ax7 or slk800 if u got the money but other then that theres not much u can do.

Generally, the ambient temperature will determine how low you can get it. If you can get the ambient down to the mid 20's then you have a chance. Otherwise, it will take some serious money to get it as low as you desire. You could get a phase change cooling case (has a refrigerator in it) They cost around $500 to $700.

OK.... im not sure what my thermal compound is but, my idle temp for my comp using the Asus PC Probe is 53 C without a desktop fan and with both casings off!!! This is terrible... And i checked the PC Probe when i switched on the desktop fan it was about the same(PC Probes Must Be Fake)... only the mobo temp kinda change slightly. Ok maybe 39 C is abit too much but atleast 43 C man. I feel like my comp is sweating. Any Suggestions? Please. Oh yea Phase cooling case... Dont think we got it in Malaysia. Might be 2 expensive. No idea.

I have a pic of my comp. Are the cables blocking the air circulation?

And I got the specs of my CPU Fan

Cooler
Outline Dimension: 75x75x77mm
Weight: 363g
Heat Sink
Dimension: 70x70x42mm
Material: Aluminum & Copper Core
Fan
Dimension: 60x60x25mm
Bearing Type: 2 Ball Bearing
Rated Voltage: 12 V DC
Speed: 7,000 +/- 10% RPM
Noise Level: 46.7 +/- 10% dB (A)
Air Delivery: 38.4 +/- 10% CFM

BTW I dont have ducts in my comp. And I have no idea how it works and what it is.

It looks like you have an Arkua 7228 heatsink from the pic. What are the fans set to? By this I mean, are they blowing in or blowing out of the case?

This is what I recommend you try, have all the four fans at the front blow into the case and have the two at the back blow out. Then place your case back and and see.

Yea I have an Arkua 7228 Fan. The 4 fans infront are blowing into the case while the 2 other fans at the back are blowing out of the case. BTW i dont know how the 4 fans infront are getting the air from my room into the casing cause there is no hole in front of the case. The mobo fan is blowing onto the CPU... I just found out my thermal compound is some cheap skate thing from the Arkua Cooler 7228. Are the wires blocking the air ventilation?

OK just want you to know what im talking about...
you see the 4 fans infront have no breathing hole. I wonder where it gets it outside air.

Yeah that doesn't look helpful, I'd be thinking of drilling a few holes in that.

Those front panels usually come off somehow, try taking it off to check you'll get somewhat better temps before you drill it. Check also that the metal panel behind the plastic front has actual holes in it too. I've seen vented fronts over solid metal panels and all kinds of brainless variations in between.

Road Warrior

Rickster said:
OK just want you to know what im talking about...
you see the 4 fans infront have no breathing hole. I wonder where it gets it outside air.

Eeek:eek: Thats not good. Not only are the fans not getting any air, by making them work for air, you are shortening the life of the fans. Did the fans come with case (preinstalled) or did you install them yourself?

As mentioned above, drill a few holes at the front for sufficient intake. Do you have grills on the side panel of your case? If so, you can enlarge them and place the fans there.

It looks like you have the iCUTE 8310 case. The intake for the 4 fans at the front is right on the bottom of the case. Its a rectangular hole near the front of the base. Enlarge it to provide better circulation.

check out this site
You'll need to enlarge the intake hole at the front.

OK I have checked the front panels and all. fans dont have alot of breathing holes. N i hate this case. so people dont get a iCute casing. If the CPU fan is blowing onto the CPU issit better or its better that it is blowing out of the CPU?

It all depends on your heatsink. The Arkua7228 is designed to have the fan blow down onto the fins of the sink. Most heatsinks require the fan to blow down onto it. Generally, if a heatsink has a shroud, it is expected that it blows down on it.

However, I must also say that people have experienced temp drops when they flip the fan the other way even though it wasn't designed for it. So I recommend you experiment yourself and find out. Make sure you remove the heatsink from the cpu before unmounting the fan or else you could damage your cpu.

lazerin said:
It all depends on your heatsink. The Arkua7228 is designed to have the fan blow down onto the fins of the sink. Most heatsinks require the fan to blow down onto it. Generally, if a heatsink has a shroud, it is expected that it blows down on it.

Just to expand on that, a shroud is a fixture around the sink and fan that guides all the air onto an area. In this case, the sink. It is usually just a few plastic or metal tabs bent at an angle to deflect all the air from the fan to the sink.

I have no idea what this is called. But logically I think that it collects the air on just those specific areas. Is it anygood?You see the white tubes on the panel? yea those things.... Anygood?

Errr... Forgot to say this but.. I also wanted to create ventilation at the side panels, and i got just these tiny strips that i dont see it really works. So how to create them?

Rickster said:
I have no idea what this is called. But logically I think that it collects the air on just those specific areas. Is it anygood?You see the white tubes on the panel? yea those things.... Anygood?

The white tubes from that pic are pvc tubing that was used as a duct. I believe this is diehrd's comp. Well, the purpose of a duct is to provide cold air from outside straight onto the cpu and heatsink/fan. They don't have to be made out of pvc piping. In fact, my duct is simply made out of cardboard and it works great! When you have ducts, the temperature inside your case doesn't affect the cpu temp as much. A duct is basically a tube for the air to travel down to the heatsink and fan. It is best to try and make the tube as straight as possible. That is why diehrd has his tubes on the side panel. This way, the air just travels straight down. It is best to have the duct over half of the fan but no more.

This whole technique is known as ducting.

Rickster said:
Errr... Forgot to say this but.. I also wanted to create ventilation at the side panels, and i got just these tiny strips that i dont see it really works. So how to create them?

Side ventilation is not really important, as long as you have good air intake at the front of your case (which I hope you'll work on). The only reason you would have side intake is probably for ducting and also to attach strategically placed fans that blow directly over hot components eg pci,agp cards, ram etc.

Back