• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Problem...computer wont run

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PiMpShiN said:
I tried exchanging it for a new one at compusa but thier return policy is garbage. Im gonna try another compusa and if it doesnt work im gonna have to pull a "switcharoo". Im gonna go and buy another from bestbuy and swap the cards and return it and get my money back..

I feel your pain but all of these components were fried due to something you did and in no fault of the manufacturers or the retailers.

Please do the right thing and bite the bullet and buy new components or see what you can find here in the classifieds. Mentioning a switcharoo may give the wrong ideals to new members that are reading this post.

I'm sure just about everyone here that does mods has fried at least one component in their trials and tribulations and we know the frustrations. Any member with more than one star should be really careful of what they say (even when frustated) and always try to be an example to others as to what it means to be a member of the OC forums.

.....enough preaching.....back to watching the playoffs!

welll luckily there was no need for a switcharoo. today i went and explained to one of the nicer emloyees, and the cool thing was that i got this thing back when i got my card that it lets your exchange the card if anything happens to it for a year. Soooo i got a NEW 9800 XT.

One more bad new though. It turns out the floppy did fry too. Sucks, and it was a SONY brand too (my favorite). but i guess besides getting a new HDD i need to buy a new floppy. but no big deal, their not too expensive.

just as side note, MAXTOR make awesome hard drives. The ONLY thing that survived was my maxtor hdd and it was from my old HP computer.

thats really good news about the vcard replacement pimpshin!
you got caught a break there with that excellent store return policy.i killed my ati9700pro by being a lazy idiot and leaving it in while unlatching mt hdd cage.knocked a chip off the board and had to cough up the cash for a 9800pro.
glad it wasn't atotal disaster for ya.

haha or u could buy the new 9800 xt and return it with nothing in the box :D

hah jk, thats wrong, and ur screwing over a company that makes good video cards, cuz nvidia fx line just sux....

man...i want a new video card!!! i just dont wanna pay ne money :p

Due to noise generated by my 92mm Torando I decided to 7v it. I connected the 12v and 7v together with wire.

What's a 7V wire? There's 12V, 5V, and 3.3V, but 7V comes from connecting the fan's 12V wire to 12V and its ground wire to 5V.

How did you attach the wires? With a Molex-to-fan-7V adapter? If not, was there any possibility that something could have shorted against anything in the computer?

Did the fan have an RPM sense wire going to it? Is it possible that because the fan wasn't grounded that somehow the RPM signal sent out a high voltage spike from the fan motor and zapped the RPM/temperature sensing chip on the mobo?

Is there any possibility that this was just a coincidence and that the real culprit was the power-hungry video card?

You might want to ask in sci.electronics.repair.

crashoveride said it exactly how it happened. and it caused alot of damage so next time i need to be more careful not to send 17v through everything.

1 simple thing people forget... Which i did and this same exact problem happened.

Is the 12V connector from the power supply connected to your motherboard?

Without it, it will do the same things your expriencing.

If you have already went threw this solution...then i dont know what to tell ya.

Sorry about the problems :(

Pablo

Back