• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Service Control Manager Causing Problems?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrbobc

hi guys, long time no see, havent been on here for quite awhile.

my problem is that a few days ago my mouse would start freezing for say half a second and i would hear a chime like something is being installed and such like followed a few seconds later by a 'completed' chime and another freeze up. it started getting progressively worse and not it can happen 6 or 7 times in a row all started up at the same time in scm totally screwing up what im doing, no matter gaming or net.

anyhoo i investigated event viewer and found the culprit to be service control manager (scm) starting and stopping all kinds of different processes with an event id of 7036. no errors are occurring at this time only the starting and stopping of processes.

at first i thought virus so reinstalled windows as its quicker than a full system scan and have everything already backed up but as soon as a fresh install started up it started happening almost straight away :confused: so no virus or driver remnants of any kind.

therefore i summised it must be ram or cpu related so i ran prime 95 for awhile and tested the memory for around 30 mins both came back with no errors. i must also say that my whole system was reverted to stock before reinstalling windows and it wasnt really 'over'stressed with an OC anyway tbh.

therefore i looked to my mobo or SSD but the only thing ive found is that with crystaldiskinfo i couldnt get a health status for my SSD which ive only had for about a month and had no problems until now. but trying it again just now its worked and says the status is good.

ive serached the net and although there are a lot of people getting freeze ups to do with scm, these are hard locks and need rebooting which isnt whats happening to me. it seems my problem is pretty unique and i cant figure it out :bang head

it could feasibly be any one of mobo, ram, cpu or SSD is there anyone in here that can help??

is there and kind of diagnostics tools for SSDs as i cant find any and also some kind of memory controller/northbridge/southbridge diagnostic tools for my mobo also??:confused: i cant really test these and ive been out of the game for awhile so im not up to speed these days.

please help in anyway you can as ive asked in a few forums and not even had a reply so ive had to come to the experts :D in hope someone knows whats going on?!

my new spec,
i7 920
gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r mobo
corsair xms 3 1600 memory
crucial m4 128gb SSD
hd5970 gpu

my bios is up to date but my SSD is only on revision 0002 because i have to change it to one of the first 4 ports apparently to update the firmware and theyre all under the end of my 5970 and a right pain in the *** to get at so havent got round to it as yet.

again, any help would really be appreciated.

Let's start with the simplest possibility: have you tried using a different mouse? The chimes indicate a USB device losing and gaining communication, indicative of a faulty device.

Let's start with the simplest possibility: have you tried using a different mouse? The chimes indicate a USB device losing and gaining communication, indicative of a faulty device.

nice :thup:

makes sense now its hitting me in the face!

i'll have to borrow a mouse to check though first.

Back