• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting up FAH agian

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
i am going to use my 9600k rig for some FAH. looking at getting 2060 supers unless i find a really good deal on high 2xxx's. i has been so long since i did a split folding on gpu and on cpu. the plan is to use two 2060 supers at the moment, and use 4 of the 6 cores for folding as well. since this will be under windows, is there a 3rd party util i need to set this up?

Just the V7.6.21 at F@H's home website.
Here is the link to download the client. Folding software

p.s. you will need a passkey and the team number is 32, you can make up your own key or get 1 from foldingathome.org

Last edited:
Here are a basic list of the flags you can use for the client,

V7 options.JPG

Most people use "client-type advanced", "max-packet-size big" and "next-unit-percentage 100"

Okay, it's Flags not Switches. No wonder I couldn't find any google results. :rolleyes:

Is it fairly easy to set those flags in Windows when the client starts with Windows?
Thx

alright first 2060 super is on the way, made a offer of $225. i still feel it is to high, but with tax that put it at 243 and some change. at least if i wanted to i could game on it for a bit vs my 1060 6gb :D

not a down side to me but maybe to others, it was listed as a Dell 2060 super.

bid on a asus 2060 super, ended at $227. i went against my better judgment to just wait to buy the 2nd one.

found this place interesting
one thing i want to know, is higher point work assigned to higher end gpus? looking over numbers by gpu show some get higher ppd in windows and some in linux. i really just want to boil down to, a single gpu PPD. as in they took a look at all the numbers from X gpu and said this is the average under windows and this under linux. if linux is going to give a PPD then windows then the 9k box with one of the 2060 supers is going to be on linux.

linux FAHControl has some python dependencies, which causes issues with new U20.04 and U22.04 installs. There is a github version of FAHControl which will run on U20.04 and also a snap which will run FAHControl on U22.04.

My farm has been on U1804 desktop for past few years, but recently started upgrading the hosts to U20.04 desktop using live update/upgrade and existing FAHControl still runs OK.

Tried fresh U20.04 install using github FAHControl, but did not like having to start FAHControl from a terminal. Tried fresh U22.04 install without FAHControl, using FAHContol on my windows laptop to control the linux host, which works, but not as convenient as running on the actual host.

Made a fresh U18.04 install with FAHClient and FAHControl, then live updated to U20.04, and existing FAHControl still worked. Then live updated to U22.04 and existing FAHControl still worked.

My suggestion would be to make fresh U1804, get everything working, then live update/upgrade to U20.04.

linux FAHControl has some python dependencies, which causes issues with new U20.04 and U22.04 installs. There is a github version of FAHControl which will run on U20.04 and also a snap which will run FAHControl on U22.04.

I keep a link to the github version and the Snapcraft link in my sigline as a reminder to myself, and for information for team members.

what settings do i need to use/choose to have fah run only on the gpu. installed the one for windows and it was using both cpu and gpu.

Not much experience with the windows FAH, but you should be able to run FAHControl from the tray icon menu, set the cpu slot to finish by right clicking the cpu slot. after the slot finishes the wu, pause the cpu slot and delete the cpu slot. Edit the FAH desktop icon to remove the flag starting the web control. Then you will be able to run/configure the gpu client using FAHControl from the tray icon.

what settings do i need to use/choose to have fah run only on the gpu. installed the one for windows and it was using both cpu and gpu.
In the old days (man do I feel old :rofl:) you could set F@H for SMP(CPU), GPU or SMP&GPU during install, but with current version of the client and control, you have no choice at install you get both. So like Hayes said have the CPU finish, once done remove the CPU slot.

p.s. F@H control in Windows and Linux is the same, just the way you install is different.

Linux (my 4P server)
8slots.jpg

Windows
wjruth.png

Last edited:
I don't have a client near me but you can just remove the CPU slot in the settings. Click on Configure > Slots. Select the CPU entry and click remove.

Hope I'm not too far off. Just from the top of my head as I can't seem to get down in there to the really good gray matter.

That's what we've been saying Don :), anyway here is a screen shot of an old V7 install 7.1.52

FAH4.jpg

As you can see before any files are installed, the installer asks for name, team#, passkey and if you want to do GPU & GPU or SMP only or GPU only,
With 7.6.21 you have to wait till everything is installed and running to add name, team#, passkey but you don't have a choice for CPU or GPU or both, you have to go in to Config to set that up in the Advanced window.

Back