• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I buy SSD for this rig ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have put the WD blue sata ssd 500GB as the 1TB isn't in stock but anyway amazon would ship it alone so I guess I have to search for something that would be shipped in bulk with all my other stuff otherwise, I would pay for its shipping alone.

I don't know a crucial or sandisk ..

even the sandisk is on demand !

Edit:

OK the crucial 1TB seem to be in Amazon stores and would ship with my stuff and the price is good I guess.

Thanks guys for the support and sharing ideas and experiences :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The BX500 and SanDisk are DRAMless versions (well technically it depends with the SanDisk. Yes likely better than your HDD, but even a step down from what SATA can offer. I think this review ultimately offers a good look into the performance differences of drives with a cache (WD Blue, Crucial MX500, Samsung 860 EVO) vs those without. I think there is more to it as well but I'm not a storage expert.

At the end of the day you may be better off paying for the separate shipping, as the price of Samsung drives is unreasonable right now, and while I did find a MX500 on Amazon for a decent price, it would also have separate shipping as it is from a separate seller. Otherwise this seems to be a decent drive with dram, if a little old: https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-Ultimate-Su800-Internal-ASU800SS-1TT-C/dp/B01K8A29E6/ https://www.anandtech.com/show/11085/the-adata-ultimate-su800-ssd-review-128gb-256gb-512gb

Edit: turns out the WD Blue is also a DRAMless SSD, so at this point I don't know what to tell you https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-blue-sn550-m2-nvme-ssd-review-best-dramless-ssd-yet

Last edited:
One thing that differentiates SSDs is the length of warranty. Less expensive provide 3 years and better ones cover 5 years. I had a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO fail. It would work on power up and work fine for a couple hours and then just stop responding to SATA commands until it was power cycled. This was a particularly helpful failure mode as it gave me an opportunity to get a copy of all data before sending it back to Samsung. (I wound up restoring from backup for other reasons.) It failed after over four years of service and Samsung replaced it with a refurbished 860 EVO with no drama. Perhaps that level of product support is one of the reasons that Samsung is popular.

The only other malfunction I have experienced with an SSD is a bad sector on a Crucial M4. I was able to force the firmware to remap it and I currently use it in a non-critical application.

The BX500 and SanDisk are DRAMless versions (well technically it depends with the SanDisk. Yes likely better than your HDD, but even a step down from what SATA can offer. I think this review ultimately offers a good look into the performance differences of drives with a cache (WD Blue, Crucial MX500, Samsung 860 EVO) vs those without. I think there is more to it as well but I'm not a storage expert.

At the end of the day you may be better off paying for the separate shipping, as the price of Samsung drives is unreasonable right now, and while I did find a MX500 on Amazon for a decent price, it would also have separate shipping as it is from a separate seller. Otherwise this seems to be a decent drive with dram, if a little old: https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-Ultimate-Su800-Internal-ASU800SS-1TT-C/dp/B01K8A29E6/ https://www.anandtech.com/show/11085/the-adata-ultimate-su800-ssd-review-128gb-256gb-512gb

Edit: turns out the WD Blue is also a DRAMless SSD, so at this point I don't know what to tell you https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-blue-sn550-m2-nvme-ssd-review-best-dramless-ssd-yet

OK I bought the MX500. Should I replace it with the ADATA ? I can do a replace in the order, they didn't even start to ship it.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

One thing that differentiates SSDs is the length of warranty. Less expensive provide 3 years and better ones cover 5 years. I had a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO fail. It would work on power up and work fine for a couple hours and then just stop responding to SATA commands until it was power cycled. This was a particularly helpful failure mode as it gave me an opportunity to get a copy of all data before sending it back to Samsung.

That's really nice, to get the chance to copy the data in the SSD I think that gives you a huge feeling of how technology is beautiful and the companies do stuff the help people if anything wrong happen, they at least can save their data.

To me I think it's an love relationship with me and the company directly.

One day I was working on my windows 10 and thankfully I was doing the updates regularly, and I think the laptop shutdown because the battery or something .. anyway, when I powered the laptop again I found all my work session !! That was huge, I found a thread talking about this feature and I sign in to thanked Microsoft that worked so hard to provide this to people :)

(I wound up restoring from backup for other reasons.) It failed after over four years of service and Samsung replaced it with a refurbished 860 EVO with no drama. Perhaps that level of product support is one of the reasons that Samsung is popular.

Yep .. pretty much .. support is king :)

The only other malfunction I have experienced with an SSD is a bad sector on a Crucial M4. I was able to force the firmware to remap it and I currently use it in a non-critical application.

No come on !! I bought MX500 .. this is the second non-complimentary comment on this company.

The SSD has +14k ratings on Amazon ! I thought that is enough to believe the SSD is more than OK.

Should I get the WD or a kingston ?

the kingston is +38k ratings too, I can get the 480GB for $60, it's not so important to get the 1TB.

this is the second non-complimentary comment on this company.
Anecdotes... Minutia. Enjoy your drive. :)

The DRAMless drives do have their weakness (I believe sustained writes?) but outside of that, should be solid. Of course, any with would be better, but, unless you write large files to it a lot, I doubt you will notice.

Last edited:
I would guess that the mx500 is a better drive than the bx500 that is more common these days. I have used several of the pny ssds from bestbuy, and they seem to work fine for everyday action. I will buy more as time goes. They are pretty reasonable when on sale. I have 50 old Lenovo pc's with 4570 cpu's that I put together for kids without computers (sometimes have them buy the drives) and have had no issues with any of the prolly 35 or 40 that I have purchased over time

I also have the MX500, no complaints. I would take it over the ADATA, I only suggested a different one since you were concerned that it came a different seller.

Anecdotes... Minutia. Enjoy your drive. :)
Yeah that's I wanna hear :clap: << :screwy:

The DRAMless drives do have their weakness (I believe sustained writes?) but outside of that, should be solid. Of course, any with would be better, but, unless you write large files to it a lot, I doubt you will notice.

Yeah I knew something about the cache that come with 2.5" HDD as I bought the seagate 2.5" 5400 RPM 128MB so then I learned that are other HDDs with more cache and read that the amount of the cache doesn't necessarily affect the performance of the HDD. Like there could be a HDD with 64MB that is better than one with 128MB I guess.

So I think it could be similar with the SSDs the ones with DRAM and the ones without but I think it's' the first time here for me to know about DRAM stuff.

Even the videos I watched on YouTube, I don't remember one that talked about it.

I would guess that the mx500 is a better drive than the bx500 that is more common these days. I have used several of the pny ssds from bestbuy, and they seem to work fine for everyday action. I will buy more as time goes. They are pretty reasonable when on sale. I have 50 old Lenovo pc's with 4570 cpu's that I put together for kids without computers (sometimes have them buy the drives) and have had no issues with any of the prolly 35 or 40 that I have purchased over time

OK, do you recommend that I get something else ? So are you a crucial fan or you prefer other SSDs other than Samsung because they are out of my recommended budget ?

I would buy another WD 4TB 3.5" HDD over getting some of those Samsung SSDs :)

I have no reservations about the MX500. I have a couple of them. They also have a 5 year warranty and a good reputation.

Yep thanks for the info, I also remember that Linus tech tips use the crucial products in his builds that is another reason to think it's a good brand.

I also have the MX500, no complaints. I would take it over the ADATA, I only suggested a different one since you were concerned that it came a different seller.

Yep, I learned how to know the stuff that are already in Amazon stores and won't ship from another seller that it won't be packaged in Amazon fulfillment centers.

Because of this issue I think I would get anything that is in Amazon centers and they many brands so it's not a big issue, it's' only the WD wasn't available and should be available in two weeks I guess.
`
This video comparing it with a Samsung .. that means it's a good SSD by comparing it with a very good one.

----------------------------------------------

Anyway I think the money has been drawn from my credit card .. not sure. I can modify one specific item of the order.

I think I would go for the 480GB kingston for the high ratings on Amazon.

Last edited:
I can say from experience that Crucial has great custromer service and always has been that way for as long as I have been using their products. I think you would be very happy with the mx500 drive. Samsung makes great drives as well, but you never know what customer service will present.

I also would not exchange either of the original drives you mentioned for a Kingston drive.

I can say from experience that Crucial has great custromer service and always has been that way for as long as I have been using their products. I think you would be very happy with the mx500 drive. Samsung makes great drives as well, but you never know what customer service will present.

That's wonderful ! I don't have to change anything and my choice is on track :)

Problem solved thank you so much.

I'm not a pro user, even if I got the SSD I'm not the guy that would test the performance of the SSD and do the benchmarks. I just plug and play.

I notice the big difference and that's what the members mentioned in this thread that would notice or not !!

I noticed the nice boot time of my new laptop that has a 512GB Crucial m.2 SSD and it's so quick. I upgraded the DDR4 RAMs but I don't know there's something weird. When I use the laptop for a lot of tasks mainly, browsing google chrome with 10-30 tabs on most the times + opening several windows explorer windows + running Microsoft office programs + other programs; a calculator ... etc. Then sometimes when I get back to one of the windows explorer windows, sometimes it present black ghosting and other times the icons' background go black and I can't remove it even with F5 refreshing.

I don't know if it's the RAMs that are the famous Korean Hynix brand or it's the SSD. Anyway, if the problem developed more or continued a lot, then I would post a thread about it with screenshots. I really wanted to upgrade the RAMs to the Corsair 16GB DDR4. But thought why won't I just buy another 8GB of the same brand that came with the laptop for only $32 ! Compared to the Corsair for like $70.

I would venture that it is the 20-30 tabs open in a browser. Browsers often have a lot of things eating at your memory and cpu

OK .. let me don't blame the new laptop with DDR4 RAMs and a m.2 SSD.

I just got this now on my rig. I don't know ! I encountered this recently .. I think it could be a virus but it's a small assumption.

Capture.PNG

It's not affecting anything. If I want to go far, then I would think that a hacker is breaching my rig, but that couldn't be because it happened in my laptop and in my rig too.

OK .. let me don't blame the new laptop with DDR4 RAMs and a m.2 SSD.

I just got this now on my rig. I don't know ! I encountered this recently .. I think it could be a virus but it's a small assumption.

View attachment 209556

It's not affecting anything. If I want to go far, then I would think that a hacker is breaching my rig, but that couldn't be because it happened in my laptop and in my rig too.

What is it that we are supposed to see in that pic? Looks normal to me.

What is it that we are supposed to see in that pic? Looks normal to me.

The black background of the folder work. I didn't select it. Some times all the folders get black background.

I restarted the laptop and things are alright now, but I think it would come again after some time from boot up time.

Thank you so much :)

Earthdog is on point once again. Nice

Yep absolutely !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually have another question.

I have photos from my phone and during copying them to my rig there names with the file extension got corrupted.

This is from my folders:

Capture1.PNG

I can't rename them in bulk, I have to do it one after the other which is a lot of work.

If I rename them in bulk the name of the file can be changed but the extension would still the same.

The extension is numbered as J1, J2, J3 ... J23, J24 ... etc. Which should be .JPG. So the left characters of the extension right format are PG.

I thought of registering a keyboard macro that record the steps I do for renaming each photo.

So that the computer when I do "select all", then the computer take it one after the other and do all the steps of renaming the corrupted extension format.

For one photo the steps would be:
1. Renaming command which would be from right click and choose renaming or from windows explorer commands.
2. Go to the right most character position and backspace two times to erase the two numbers that are coming with the "J"
or erase the whole extension, then select them all and choose open with app and that's an automatic way and easy too.
3. If I didn't erase the whole extension, then I would put the two characters "PG" with "J" so I have the correct format "JPG".

Back