• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I sell my GTX 1080 Founders edition for a board partner card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightPatrol

Registered
Hey guys.

On May 27th, I picked up an EVGA GTX 1080 founders edition off Newegg. But now that I think about it, and now that videos on youtube are coming out about the GTX 1080, I'm starting to think I should sell it as soon as it arrives.

I am hearing about how the card has thermal throttling issues, and how the cooler on the founders edition isn't good, that type of thing. The founders edition is $100 more, but it seems like I'm paying more for a worse card, when comparing to board partners.

My question is should I sell my founders edition when it arrives on Saturday, and sell it on ebay? At the moment, they're going for a lot more than what I paid.

It seems like the partner cards are going to have better cooling and maybe fix the issues with the founders edition. With whichever card I end up having, I plan to overclock. I have a real big case that stays very cool, if that helps. Should I sell and rebuy a partner card? Thanks!

Yes.

There was literally no reason to buy a founders edition card considering that by all measureable accounts the AIB partners would be coming out with their own versions with better VRMS and cooling systems (unless you specifically needed a blower-style card) for cheaper than the early adopters tax Founders Edition version.

Ok, thanks. I definitely don't need a blower fan, in fact I was looking at the MSI Sea Hawk 1080. But when do you guys think board partners are going to release their cards? I had to sell my GTX 970 as one of the things i had to sell in order to buy this, so now I'm w/o a graphics card lol.

Am I going to have to give the F5 key a workout or will they be available for a while, if you know? Thanks

Am I going to have to give the F5 key a workout or will they be available for a while, if you know? Thanks

This information has been EXTREMELY readily available, and the fact you knee jerk bought a 1080 FE off the cuff and regret is frankly your own fault. Return it, sell it, whatever, but you've spent more time asking repeatedly for an answer that would take 12 seconds on google to figure out.

Okay, well I've googled it and haven't found any useful information regarding the dates or stocking info about board partner cards. I do not regret buying what I have bought, I am simply asking which would be better. I prefer just to talk to people here about hardware comparisons, because it could be different depending on reasoning. I don't make many posts here, because I tend to figure most stuff out, but there is some times where I'd just like some advice. If you have a problem, then please, just don't take your issues here onto my thread. Thank you.

The founders edition is $100 more, but it seems like I'm paying more for a worse card, when comparing to board partners.
Yes, you did, and you fell into Nvidia's marketing trap. Congrats. Hopefully you learned your lesson--good things come to those who wait. You could try replacing the TIM. I doubt they use anything worth a damn on those chips.

Last edited:
When the GTX 1080 arrives refuse delivery and you wont have to pay for return shipping. Defiantly buy AIB partner.

i grabbed the same card from newegg been playing witcher 3 with max everything all day haven't even heard the cards fan and haven't seen any frame drops,im guessing the people having issues are likely overclocking it for witch there is really no need to do as these cards are total beasts unless you are just trying to bench with it or run multiple monitors at high rez.i would just keep it you can always throw a water block or after market cooler on it later if you feel the need.

i grabbed the same card from newegg been playing witcher 3 with max everything all day haven't even heard the cards fan and haven't seen any frame drops,im guessing the people having issues are likely overclocking it for witch there is really no need to do as these cards are total beasts unless you are just trying to bench with it or run multiple monitors at high rez.i would just keep it you can always throw a water block or after market cooler on it later if you feel the need.
Your TV is 1920X1080p? you would not notice frame drop with GTX 1080.

Back