• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your System :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pro*Banshee said:
my old NF7-S, I used the digital out to pump audio to my KLH R7000 reciever (600 watts, 100w per channel)

bought the KLH home speaker setup, came with 4 satellites and a center channel, moderatley small sub (85 watts I think).

This is nice for 5.1 gaming, and music listening to; and when nessescary, I can rattle the pictures across the house if I maybe kick it to half volume :D

"600 watts, 100w per channel"
-it wont even push half that. 1/4th on a good day.

"I can rattle the pictures across the house if I maybe kick it to half volume "
-bs meter going off !!!!

lol, I played a Wedding gig one time and we used a Yamaha 400 watt powered mixer with 2 Yamaha 15" PA speakers with horn tweeters to the audience and never even came close to maxing it out it out.They heard us blocks away!outdoors gig btw.

So believe me,If your klh 600watt reciever and 85watt sub were really as powerful as they claim to be,you would be rattling more than your own pictures off the walls.

stratcatprowlin said:
lol, I played a Wedding gig one time and we used a Yamaha 400 watt powered mixer with 2 Yamaha 15" PA speakers with horn tweeters to the audience and never even came close to maxing it out it out.They heard us blocks away!outdoors gig btw.

So believe me,If your klh 600watt reciever and 85watt sub were really as powerful as they claim to be,you would be rattling more than your own pictures off the walls.

ugh. there ARE receivers that push out that much. the reason i know it doesnt push that much is because it is a KLH receiver. klh is notorious for severly overating products.
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=REC&prod=AVR 7300&sType=C

-before you bring up your 15" PA speakers....they are high efficiency drivers. think stadium full of 100,000 people.....got the thought in your memory yet? a stadium full of people yelling is no more than 5 watts.

PA speakers utilize high efficency drivers to attain high SPL at the cost of SQ.

PA speaker explanation
Every speaker has a sensitivity that dictates how well the speaker will scale with power. Example..the speakers in the link have a Sensitivity of
"Sensitivity (dB @1Watt/1m) 102 "

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mb/item.asp?ic=SYSTEM21PACK&k=t

now lets look at some high-end home theater speakers
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=PRIMUS360BK

these have a sensativity of "93dB". Every 3dB increase in sensativity means doubling the loudness for the exact same amount of power. so, 96..99...102. Thats 8 fold. For the infinity speakers to match the Yamahas in volume they would need 8x more power.

(sorry if this sounds like crap)

I'm just being honest with you, I know they probably, okay, definatley _arent_ 100 watts/channel, but it does rattle, not shake off the walls, just make a noticable rattling noise on the pictures across the house, does the same to mine in the room

zabomb4163 said:
-before you bring up your 15" PA speakers....they are high efficiency drivers. think stadium full of 100,000 people.....got the thought in your memory yet? a stadium full of people yelling is no more than 5 watts.

PA speakers utilize high efficency drivers to attain high SPL at the cost of SQ.

How did you come up with the figure of 5 watts for the entire stadium yelling? I hope you are talking about acoustical power, NOT electrical power...

zabomb4163 said:
PA speaker explanation
Every speaker has a sensitivity that dictates how well the speaker will scale with power. Example..the speakers in the link have a Sensitivity of
"Sensitivity (dB @1Watt/1m) 102 "

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mb/item.asp?ic=SYSTEM21PACK&k=t

The efficiency of a speaker does not tell how well it will scale with power. Different speakers will have different amounts of power compression at different levels. And Sensitivity is a voltage dependent rating. It typically uses a 2.83v input, so lower impedence speakers will have a higher sensitivity than speakers with the same efficiency that have a higher nominal impedence.

stratcatprowlin said:
I think my Yamaha P.A speakers are 4 ohms.

They are probably more likely 98dB efficient with one watt at one meter then. Some companies say sensitivity but actually mean efficiency though. However, that is still very high. Many home speakers are between 85 and 90.

I've always preferred listening to music on headphones over any speakers i've heard. Speakers cannot match the personal music experience you get with headphones. And to even match the quality you need to spend at least 10x as much.

Certainly true to a point - but why don't big name engineers mix soely on headphones? There may be a HANDFUL of mastering engineers that do this - but likely 85% will use esoteric VERY VERY expensive monitoring systems with literally tens of thousands of dollars on room treatments. If headphones were a "Better" standard, I would think they would save the $50,000 on speakers, amps, and room treatments in favor of headphones.

There is something about being "immersed" in the sound - opposed to immersing JUST you ears. Sound is much more than just your 2 ears, IMO. And you never "hear" in nature like you would in headphones - but they are FANTASTIC to shut out the room's sound, and to allow phsyco-acoustic experiences not possible in a "natural" sonic environment.

Just my opinion... :cool:

IMO there is nothing a speaker system can do that can touch a high quality binaural recording. As far as monitoring, they use speakers in there because that's what they are making them for. They are generally engineered to be played on speakers, not headphones sadly. The vast majority of people use loudspeakers and just crappy headphones when they need to listen on the go. Home headphone listening never occurs to them. To match the detail brought out by grado rs1's you would probably have to spend $10,000+ on a pair of speakers. They certainly outperfrom B&W 802's i was considering. But to each their own, not everyone likes the headphone experience....it's an acquired taste i guess.

Binaural recordings MUST be listened to on headphones to be conveyed properly. I still prefer the "immersion", and stimulation of more than just human hearing - the feeling you get in your feet, stomach, and all over can not be duplicated with headphones. Just like being in the room with the upright double-bass, and the thunderous piano, and the snare "Crack" in your gut. HP's might convey an accurate soundfeild, but only "truly accurate" if recorded in binaural stereo (with the Human Head microphone).

Sound, to me, is a full body experience. Maybe being a musician has a drastic effect on my preference of the "full body experience". Some vocalists can NOT sing properly through headphones, and must resort to using a "live" monitoring system while tracking (GREATLY diminishing the quality of the recording - as you now have "bleed", but it is worth sacraficing this for a superior "performance" on the vocalists part.)

To each his own... Nice phones by the way :)

I too prefer speakers much more than headphones. My speakers can produce a soundstage, while my hd-600's sound like its in your head, even with binaural recordings. Ive experimented with crossfeed and it didnt help either.

I will say that the sound quality produced by the hd-600's is better than my speakers though. It is much easier to get fantastic sound for really cheap with headphones for what would cost thousands for a speaker setup. But, IMO even the best headphone still cant put up a soundstage the way speakers can. The best speaker setup in the best treated room will sound much better to me than the best headphone setup.

living room:

42" Pioneer Elite plasma HDTV
Integra 5.1 reciever ( onkyo ) dont know the model number, but it was like 600$ last year
Panasonic DVD player w/ prog scan
4x Infinity Kappa floors 3 way ( special ordered; oak frame )

room:

logitech z-560 with 8" JL audio sub replacement

w00t

Azzkiller said:
I will say that the sound quality produced by the hd-600's is better than my speakers though. It is much easier to get fantastic sound for really cheap with headphones for what would cost thousands for a speaker setup. But, IMO even the best headphone still cant put up a soundstage the way speakers can. The best speaker setup in the best treated room will sound much better to me than the best headphone setup.

Having that ONE driver with NO crossover sure does help in this respect!

Nice TV - CircuitBreaker8! :cool:

Back