• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single GPU for 1440p * 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

df0xyd

Hi all! I'm having a lot of trouble picking out a GPU that will support 3x 1440p monitors that only have a Dual-Link DVI input connection. Monitors

Now, the problem is that I can't find a GPU that will run these...
For example, I thought I was okay with: XFX 7970, which has 2x Mini Displayports, and 1x DVI dual-link. I always thought Mini Displayports were able to support up to.... some very large 4k resolution. But, I can't find an adapter to save my life... :( All I can find is Single-Link DVI adapters. The only Dual-Link require a USB to be plugged in, which I can only assume is a fancy MAC thing.. :/ -- Alternatively, am I just wrong and I could use a PCI USB expansion slot and plug them in there fine on my windows/linux machine???

EDIT:
After doing some more reading, I just found out I need something like this: Mini Displayport to Dual-Link DVI.... Apparently, I'll need 2 of them... -.- That adds $200 to my bill... So... I may just go with this monitor in order to have the extra connectors. Since Mini Displayport to regular Displayport is significantly cheaper, and I have a dual-link dvi cable already, I think. I'll lose the pivot functionality, but I'll gain the 10-bit panel. I guess that's fair for spending ~$20 extra dollars in the end, right?

Last edited:
Try searching for active DP to DVI adapters?

The problem was, since those are Mini Displayports on the GPU, I'd have to get the adapter with the extra USB power. So... it'd be $100 for one. Since I'd need two... $200... So.. At this rate, I may as well just beef up the monitor. (I made a sneaky-edit)

Back