• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SK6+ with a 38CFM DELTA, yes or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john240sx

i know it's going to be loud so i want to know if i would have any head room to lower the fan speed if it get's annoyingly loud and still be able to get a decent overclock.

i kinda need a quick answer, i have the order ready to go all i have to do is click Place Order. btw, SK6+ and a 60mm Delta 38cfm/47db fan for only $18.73 shipped :p

EDIT: well, i ordered it. if it's just too loud and it can't perform like i want then it will go to the classifieds :D

Last edited:
I have the same thing it is pretty loud. When I first got my pc I didnt care but overtime I wished it was quieter. it will do a good job tho, my 2200+ at 1.9 ghz is about 40 loud, and 42 loud when my parents turn on the heater in the house hehe. So considering tbreds run hotter then the the processor you have I think you will have nice temps.

i'm currently using a Dragon Orb 3 7000 rpm, i'm no stranger to loud fans :) also, i'm getting this combo for under $20, i would get the SK7 but i don't have enough right now.

in a few weeks i might get a SK7 and put this HSF on my Duron (i'll hit 1.1Ghz easy :p)

You could get a Zalman Fan Mate 1 and slow the Delta a bit. At 5500rpm it makes less noise and still gives decent performance. Unfortunately the high pitched whine is still there though.
I wish I had the Papst 60mm 33cfm, can't find any to buy :(

I have two SK6's (lapped of course) with Delta Screamers. (7000+rpm) I love the sound of high RPM's in the morning. :):) For the money, they are hard to beat. And they do a great job. :):):)

I have a Delta 43cfm 60mm and a SLK-600, and that thing is LOUD! It makes my Smart Fan 2 on the fastest speed sound like a Panaflo! (Ok maybe not.. but its close...) So yeah, it's going to be loud. If you don't like it, use a 80mm heatsink and fan.

-PC

Spacemonkey said:
I have two SK6's (lapped of course) with Delta Screamers. (7000+rpm) I love the sound of high RPM's in the morning. :):) For the money, they are hard to beat. And they do a great job. :):):)

now this i'm glad to hear :) does the SK6+ have to be lapped? i know there's a few heatsinks the require lapping to be any good.

i read somewhere that the Dragon Orb 3 uses the same 38cfm 7000rpm delta that i'm getting with the SK6+, anyone know if that's true or not?

you can use 80mm fans on the sk6. I'm using two of them in my dual, and i use 80mm fans that put out 40cfm or so with very low noise.

I would suggest doing this. All you have to do, is turn the fan 45º away from normal, so the points of the fan stick through the clips. (you will see when you have the heatsink in your hand.)

This makes the fan sit in a diamond position instead of a square position.

Worked for me.

i've read somewhere that if u do the 80mm diamond config with a sk6/sk6+ it decreases the cfm that makes it to the sink bc the center of the fan is so large.

Just slap a 80mm fan on there with the same CFM and its nice and quiet and you wont wake up the nieghbours when you turn on your computer. LOL

caRpetbomBer said:
Just slap a 80mm fan on there with the same CFM and its nice and quiet and you wont wake up the nieghbours when you turn on your computer. LOL

hehe, screw my neibors. if they think my PC is too loud wait until me and my dad start working on his chevy with air tools :p

anyway, i got the SK6+ yesterday. this thing is pretty awsome! i knew they were good but for the price i wasn't expecting it to be this good. idle 30C, full load 39C (Toast for an hour, temp didn't rise for the last 40 minutes). those are on die temps too! 37C with F@H for like 16 hours so far. (OCed to 1575Mhz, 10.5multi/150Mhz fsb)

oh, the 38cfm/47db delta is exactly the same one that the Dragon Orb 3 7000rpm uses. works much better on the SK6+ though. and it's not that loud either, or i'm just used to it after using a DORB3 for over 7 months.

i know a SK7 would have got better cooling but for under $19 shipped with the delta fan? i couldn't pass it up. it's been running for about 40 hours already and it's definatly quiter then the dragon orb 3.

also, i can sell this SK6+ w/fan to my brother if i decide to upgrade to a SK7. ahh, the perks of having a brother lol.

Its not so much the volume as it is the whining noise. I literally felt my sanity slipping away as I used my 60mm delta. I was CRABBY after getting off the computer. I now have a louder (in decibals) vantec tornado that I find much easier to deal with.

john240sx said:
i know a SK7 would have got better cooling but for under $19 shipped with the delta fan? i couldn't pass it up. it's been running for about 40 hours already and it's definatly quiter then the dragon orb 3.

also, i can sell this SK6+ w/fan to my brother if i decide to upgrade to a SK7. ahh, the perks of having a brother lol.

I have 2 SK6+'s and the whiny delta's. They cool as well as my AX-7 did, that is a fact. As soon as i get some decent 80mm fans, these things will be nice and quiet as well as tolerable.

How can you pass up such a deal as that? SK6+'s rock!

caRpetbomBer said:
That's not a good idea performance wise. At equal cfm ratings the 80mm will not perform as well the 60mm. I've found that the 80mm needs to push around 55cfm to match the 60mm's 30cfm performance.

I had a SK6 with a 60mm delta 7000rpm fan that pushed 37cfm.
I got sick of the noise so i put a thermaltake 80mm 2900rpm 37cfm fan on and to tell you the truth the temps were close to the same.
If you say that a 80mm fan needs like double cfm from a 60mm then you must being doing something wrong. A lot of people say its better to use a 60mm fan on a heatsink cause the center of the fan is real small and you get more direct air to the center of the heatsink. Try a 60mm and then a 80mm fan on a SK6 with the same CFM and you will see the temps will not be that different.

Back