• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI:ing a GTX560 w/a different brand & clock speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PaPaBlista

Registered
Hello good people,
My query is I have a Gigabyte 560 (GV-N56GOC-1GI) 1gb w/a 830mhz clock 1660 mhz shader speeds and a chance to get a EVGA GTX 560 Superclocked @850MHz w/1700MHz ( 01G-P3-1461-KR) ($50) both are 336 cuda's/256bit,
I figure they would run at the slower clock speed,or do you think I could overclock the slower card to match the faster,or maybe split the difference and over/under clock the two, or just get a 660 or better would the sli be as fast as a single 660 or so ( I don't have enough funds for a real card) my specs (havent updated my sig rig since upgrading) I also worry a bit about bottlenecking w/the CPU

Asus M2n32- SLI Deluxe Wifi MB,
Amd Phenom II x4 945 3.0 ghz,
CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler,
8 gigs OCZ Platinum,
Rosewill Hive 650 PSU,
WD 750 gig,
WD 1TB,
WD 2TB,
E-sata WD 120 gig (flash),
Gigabyte GTX 560 GV-N56GOC-1GI 1 gig Video.
LG DVD/RW and Win 7 Ultimate 64bit in a Rosewill Blackhawk case,
Thank you for any input... (º¿º)

I've done just that with my old 8800GTs. Unless Nvidia did something since, which they haven't, shouldn't be any issue.

Mine was an OC'd Gigabyte and a stock clocked EVGA, which I subsequently OC'd to match.

You can do it with no problems. Put the card with the higher clocks in the top slot, that way the bottom card will run just as fast

I've done just that with my old 8800GTs. Unless Nvidia did something since, which they haven't, shouldn't be any issue.

Mine was an OC'd Gigabyte and a stock clocked EVGA, which I subsequently OC'd to match.

8800's oh the memory's,
beautiful cards I had 2 of the msi 512mb's sli'd, but back then the sli didn't work with most of the games I played and I had better performance w/one card I actually just put the last one I had in my niece's pc and she loves it,(had on-board video that wouldn't even play torchlight 2)

Thank's for your input.I'm wondering though if I should retire the 560 all-together and go for 660 or a 660ti 2gb, money is quite tight, I will get the evga card for $50 either way that's money in the bank, the 2 560's will still fetch a dollar or two (º¿º)

You can do it with no problems. Put the card with the higher clocks in the top slot, that way the bottom card will run just as fast

Really, I always thought the cards reverted to the slower speed like memory does, Thanks for your input.. (º¿º)

SLI will not dictate what speed the cards run. Again, unless something changed, the cards run and whatever speed they're configured to run. In this case, you'd either need to downclock the OC'd one or vice versa.

SLI will not dictate what speed the cards run. Again, unless something changed, the cards run and whatever speed they're configured to run. In this case, you'd either need to downclock the OC'd one or vice versa.

This is true. I'm running a MSI 560TI and EVGA 560TI, with each having different stock clocks. I used nVidia Inspector to set the clocks at login to be the same, but even without that the cards ran fine (there is only a 10MHz difference between the two stock GPU clocks).

What do u think about the bottle necking the cpu, here's my specs again
CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler,
8 gigs OCZ Platinum,
Rosewill Hive 650 PSU,
WD 750 gig,
WD 1TB,
WD 2TB,

You're right, SLi does not dictate what speed the cards run at without a separate app. The card in the top slot dictates what speed the bottom card runs at when SLi is enabled.

cool,you learn everyday, now I have to decide weather to go ahead w/the SLI $50, or spring $150 for a 660ti 2gb (yes $150 "sweet")

You're right, SLi does not dictate what speed the cards run at without a separate app. The card in the top slot dictates what speed the bottom card runs at when SLi is enabled.

This may be something driver specific. The MSI card I have is clocked faster and is in the "2nd" slot (not the primary card), but the EVGA (primary) card did not change it's clock, nor did the MSI. They both kept their stock clocks in SLI mode.

This may be something driver specific. The MSI card I have is clocked faster and is in the "2nd" slot (not the primary card), but the EVGA (primary) card did not change it's clock, nor did the MSI. They both kept their stock clocks in SLI mode.

As I said, it will not change the speed of the cards. It's a manual process.

What do u think about the bottle necking the cpu, here's my specs again
CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler,
8 gigs OCZ Platinum,
Rosewill Hive 650 PSU,
WD 750 gig,
WD 1TB,
WD 2TB,

I guess yes, some kind of bottleneck. You have a nice cooler. It should take tour CPU to 3.6/3.7GHz without issue.

Oh.. My bad :) the last time I tried SLi was with 570s, and I could have sworn that's how it worked.. Tho now that I think of it it could have been the older version of precision that I was using to sync the clocks.. Dammit :bang head

EVGA Precision does have that option to sync the clocks as long as you have that option enabled. So yes, changing the clocks on one card would result in the other(s) being changed to the same clocks.

Back