• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small PSU for a home file server.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lightning[983]

Hello,

Well i built a small home server version 2.0 :) And i'm deciding on a PSU.
The components are:

Intel Celeron E1400 (stock)
ASRock G31-GS motherboard (integrated VGA)
1GB G-Skill DDR2 - 800MHz
PCI G-LAN card
1xHDD
1X120mm fan

No overclocking is going to be done.
Now i got a good deal for a Corsair CX 400W which i know is WAAAY to much for this configuration, but i didn't want some crappy MS or whatever powering it, and the only PSU i could find that way about 200W was some "DuLuxe" which was like 20$ (so i guess it goes without saying its cr*p :D )

So, i'm just looking at some webshop today and i ran into "enlight mATX" PSU's, it goes from 200 - 300W and they are all listed as Active PFC

You guys here know a lot more about all this than me, so i'm looking for some advice, do i get the Corsair CX400 for about 60$ or this enlight 200W for about 42$

Oh and i need to say that since this will probably be working 24/7 i want my power bill to be as small as possible :D
Would the 200W be that much more efficient at such small loads than the 400W Corsair?

So thanx in advance :)
Tom,

The Corsair has a pretty good efficiency rating. Even if it is rated at a higher wattage. It will still only use as much as the parts it powers. You want higher efficiency over higher wattage it looks like. With that efficiency, your power supply will use less power overall.

In short simple words. That lower powered unit is going to be working harder and may not be as effective producing efficient power. Even it only produces 200-300watts. In turn, your power bill will be a little less using the Corsair.

Get the SeaSonic S12 II SS-330GB 330W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power 5 year warrantee and it's vary efficient, i have the same components and it draws 90w-100w at idle, power supplies best efficiency is at 30-60% of the there max load so you need a 330w or 250w
LINK:http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3096&p=8

Last edited:
Well i would like to get something like that, but i can't buy it here.

The only seasonic i can get is the 360W model, and it costs about 100$.
Which is too expensive for what this build is for...

90 - 100W draw @ idle? that sounds like a bit much for those components, i was thinking more like 50W idle, and 80-90W load...

It's probably closer to 80w with 80-85% efficiency you get 90-100 at the wall, I have a E1200.

What can you purchase :beer:

Well i saw some review at Tom's a while ago, and they had systems idling @ 50 or so W, so i figured i'd be somewhere like that... but 100W is okay too, that should put me somewhere in the 80% efficiency with the 400W corsair right? +/- a few %.

Since i can get a good rebate on the Corsair i'm thinking of going with that and be done with it. I'll use my Belkin UPS to check how much it actually draws :) (don't know if that's a reliable method?)

Anyways, what PSU's can i get, well there's PC P&C 370W, Seasonic 360W... and all the more powerfull models, but they all cost a bit more than the Corsair...

My 3200+ 8600GT 1GB DDR, 2 hardrives, 2 optical drives, sound card, tv card, and a wireless card use like 85W idle. I suppose my ancient 90nm will draw around the same as the low power E1400.

My 3200+ 8600GT 1GB DDR, 2 hardrives, 2 optical drives, sound card, tv card, and a wireless card use like 85W idle. I suppose my ancient 90nm will draw around the same as the low power E1400.

That was my point when i said i'm surprised it draws so much power... since i'll be using an integrated VGA, only 1 5400rpm HDD, no opticals and every peripheral (except LAN) disabled...

But anyways, i just got home, picked up the parts, and will put it all together tomorrow morning... i'll report back how it went.

Maybe spend half an hour seeing how far this E1400 can go :)
Just for fun i wanna see if it'll hit 3.0 on stock cooling... since i have an old E4500 box cooler i'll use that along with a bolt-through kit (i HATE those push-pins)

OK, here's the results of my first "tests"

idle: ~45W

Now i started Prime95 "max power" torture test and the load went up to ~65W
This varies a bit, so the readings go +/- 5W also the peak power draw i recorded so far is 95W.

Since these readings are from the UPS, can i assume that's "real" power?

OK, here's the results of my first "tests"

idle: ~45W

Now i started Prime95 "max power" torture test and the load went up to ~65W
This varies a bit, so the readings go +/- 5W also the peak power draw i recorded so far is 95W.

Since these readings are from the UPS, can i assume that's "real" power?
Yes that's from the wall.

I'll just leave it running Prime95 for 2 days now, just to be sure its stable...
I did a quick 2 hours of memtest, and now this... the power usage never went above those 95W, but the general average under load is more closer to 70W. I'm pretty happy with that :)

That means i won't have to use my main rig 24/7 (which uses about 240W @ idle)

But anyways, i felt kind of bad putting a cool PSU like that corsair in this build... its all nice, has a logo engraved and everything :D

The CPU cores don't heat up over 45°C, which is great. but that intel boxed cooler is a bit loud...

Thanx for all the info and advice :)

Back