• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Sneak Peak: Gigabyte X79 Motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I do... and thought that was what it had to do with. But seeing as how this is a mobo thread and no mention of IPC, wasnt sure. :)

Phunny... However, you asked for me to clarify, and since you need CPU's to accommodate those boards, I feel it was a legitimate question to ask... Otherwise its really just the same 14 stage micro-architecture with more pins...and a smaller die... The only advantage is quad channel RAM..... :thup:

Its essentially the same technology with quad-channel RAM....

Last edited:
Don't forget the 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes for native x16/x16/x8 (or any other combination of 40 lanes). There's also additional SATAIII ports, 6 total I believe, instead of the 2 on P67/Z68.

Phunny... However, you asked for me to clarify, and since you need CPU's to accommodate those boards, I feel it was a legitimate question to ask... Otherwise its really just the same 14 stage micro-architecture with more pins...and a smaller die... The only advantage is quad channel RAM..... :thup:

Its essentially the same technology with quad-channel RAM....
IPc is more than just pipeline quantity and length though (Im guessing, that is beyond me). :eek:

Don't forget the 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes for native x16/x16/x8 (or any other combination of 40 lanes). There's also additional SATAIII ports, 6 total I believe, instead of the 2 on P67/Z68.
:thup:

I'm sure all will get bottle-necked at the PCI-e slot(s)... Just because it more of them does not mean it will be used effectively... New video cards will need to come out to effectively take advantage of that...

I agree its look good on paper, but does it really justify the HUGE cost difference just for those features?? The 2600K holds its own rather well with any task you can throw at it...

I think Intel's Ivy Bridge is what to look at... This 2011 socket is just a stepping stone for the new Ivy bridge...

More lanes means that there's no need for an NF200 bridge chip and its added latency. SB has native x16 or x8/x8 for GPUs, anything else needs an NF200. So, any multiple GPU setup will be better on X79 than P67/Z68. How much better...probably not a ton, but maybe up to ~5%. The additional lanes for native x16/x16 helps all new and old GPUs in SLI/CFX, but it does help the newer high-end cards more.

Is it worth it? It depends on the person and intended use for the system really. Hex cores, quad channel RAM, native x16/x16/x8, additional SATAIII, and bclk overclocking. Sounds good to me, but we'll have to wait and see. An Ivy Bridge update to LGA2011 would be very nice, as will the update to LGA1155. Ivy Bridge vs SB-E... it will be interesting to see how close IB comes to SB-E.

Back