• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Sneaky's Back!!! ==> Mean Green Gaming Machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I as well think it'll look good and provide a good contrast. I mainly just wanted to do something outside of a stock grey keyboard.

My little brother has been using spray-on Plasti-Dip on EVERYTHING... he painted the VW badges on his Jetta black, his rims black, his motorcycle helmet green, and who knows what else. If this stuff can stand up to a Wisconsin winter and salt on the roads after he sprayed 8 coats on his rims, I think it'll do damn good on a keyboard frame. Personally, this will be the first time I use the stuff. At least I have an expert as a sibling. :D
I've done quite a bit of plasti-dip myself. It's good stuff and holds up well. Best part is when you want to change it up, you peel it right off and can go a different color. www.dipyourcar.com has some unique colors you can't normally find local. Not sure if you've seen that site or not.

My Dad and two younger brothers all work at the local ACE Hardware store. They can special order whatever color(s) I might want and have it within 48 hours.

Today I have a can of Blaze Green coming as well as a can of Metalizer Metallic Green, which is apparently supposed to go over your base coat of green and make it metallic. Guess it's like tinted clear coat with metal flakes in it.

Going to have to try it on something before I spray my Acer keyboard.

Nice. That's even better then. I dont have that kind of access so I just order from DYC. Looking forward to see how it turns out. Let me know how it goes with the Metalizer. I plan on using it when I order new wheels for my car.

The Metalizer is/was wholly disappointing. On the test piece we sprayed 4 coats of Blaze Green and then maybe 6 coats of the Metalizer, but even then the iridescence is not very visible. Don't know if that's because it was sprayed over such a bright base color, or if that's how it is period, but both my and my brother were disappointed with the final result.

Anyways... the keyboard has 6 coats of blaze green and 2 coats of glossifier and is sitting in the garage to cure overnight before I decide to assemble everything. All in all I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out. Definitely glad that my brother seems to be a Plasti-Dip expert, and he was more than happy to offer to spray the keyboard frame for me. And I was more than happy to let him do it given his expertise in the area.

And one more advantage to having my dad and brothers working @ ACE Hardware: our family gets everything at wholesale cost. Which is really nice when it comes to home improvement... unfortunately it's still cheaper to buy 100-packs of hardware from McMaster-Carr, but *shrug*.

My first sleeving job in a LONG time, but the first of many to come during this project:
010.JPG
013.JPG

Last edited:
OH... MY... GOD!!! This keyboard turned out BEAUTIFULLY and it types like a DREAM!
021.JPG

Last edited:
Just a note, I can't see any of the pictures from my office as they are blocked (3rd party hosts). Beyond that, 3rd party hosts images tend to go away. If you want them to stay, you should attached them to the forum. ;)

OCFinsertimages.png

Just a note, I can't see any of the pictures from my office as they are blocked (3rd party hosts). Beyond that, 3rd party hosts images tend to go away. If you want them to stay, you should attached them to the forum. ;)
Apologies for not attaching the images... IIRC OCForums turned off image attachments for a while back, so I got used to using 3rd party hosts. I've had this photobucket account for YEARS now and it hasn't gone away yet.

Anyways, over the course of today, I'll be uploading all of the images (in high-resolution) to OCForums for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Thanks for the heads up EarthDog, I appreciate that.

Not since 2008 (since I have been here)... but thanks for hosting internally. Be careful of the image sizes.

Photobucket may be the one that doesn't go away, but... most do after they are idle for xx days.

The links to the pictures not being clicked on is what I meant for idle. It has nothing to do with you logging into your account. Again, photobucket may not do that in the first place... I am not sure.

The links to the pictures not being clicked on is what I meant for idle. It has nothing to do with you logging into your account. Again, photobucket may not do that in the first place... I am not sure.
Ahhhhh! I see.

Gotta leave for an appointment now, but by the end of the day, all of these pics will be available for your viewing pleasure at work EarthDog. :salute:

High-resolution, OC Forums-hosted photos should all be replacing the PhotoBucket-hosted 1024x768 pictures now... if I missed one, let me know.

Enjoy!

-Justin

Installed the mounting studs for the CPU waterblock:
002_2mb.jpg

And sleeved my 24-pin connector (that's JB Weld you see smeared on the outside... I glued the 20+4 connectors together because they kept coming apart and it was beginning to annoy me.):
005_2mb.jpg
009_2mb.jpg

Heheeh jbweld is awesome for just about everything :p

Looking good justin! :cheers:
Final product is gonna be sweeeeet :D

I'll give you ONE GUESS as to what's on my agenda today:

MOAR Mini-Fit Jr. pins:
001_2mb.jpg

MOAR Solder & Flux:
96/4 Tin/Silver; 63/37 Tin/Lead; 60/40 Tin/Lead; and 40/60 Tin/Lead
010_2mb.jpg

MOAR Soldering Guns: