• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I finally Overclocked My Intel Board with CPUFSB for the first time and need help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myth

Registered
So I finally Overclocked My Intel Board with CPUFSB for the first time and need help.

After weeks of searching I finally found a way to overclock My Intel D845PESVL Mb. I found the PLL for my motherboard with "CPU FSB" and managed to overclock it. I can Only raise the FSB (default being 133mhz) of my motherboard with the default bus speed being 533.3mhz. My multiplier is locked at 18.0. Now my question is,what is the highest and safest value that I can increase my FSB to without damaging my hardware? Right now I have the FSB at 137mhz and that raised the Bus speed to 549.3mhz and have my cpu now running at 2471.9mhz default being 2399.1mhz(2.4ghz),I want to raise it higher than that but I am afraid that I might damage something because I dont know the highest limit that my FSB can go. I say this because people are telling me that I have no PCI/AGP lock on my board and that it is vital to overclocking from what I hear. I checked the bios and I dont have this option.(Im on an Intel D845PESVL mb) thats probably why. Also What is this Agp/pci lock thing and how do I know if My MB has it(because it doesnt say anything about it in bios) and also why is it bad to raise fsb without this agp/pci lock thing that I keep hearing about?

You do not have a AGP/PCI lock on that mobo, so that will limit how far you will go. If the PCI bus gets too far out of spec, you'll experience instability and sometimes even data corruption (IDE controller runs off the PCI bus). How far you can go depends on how well your PCI cards and vid card and HDD can handle being overclocked. Usually 150 FSB is ok.

"Running the PCI bus out of spec causes instability mainly because it forces components with very strict tolerances to run at a different frequency then they are intended to. The PCI spec is usually stated at 33mhz. Sometimes it is stated at 33.3mhz, which I believe is closer to the real spec. The main victim of high PCI speeds is the hard drive controller. Certain controller cards have a higher tolerance than others, and so are able to run at increased speeds without noticeable corruption. However, the onboard controllers on most motherboards (especially SATA controllers) are extremely sensitive to high PCI speeds, and can have corruption and data loss if the PCI bus is running at even 35mhz. Most are able to do 34mhz, as it is really less then 1mhz out of spec (depending on where the motherboard stops rounding to 34mhz... for example, most motherboards will probably report any FSB from 134mhz-137 as being a 34mhz PCI speed. The actual range is from 33.5mhz to 34.25mhz, and may vary even more based on variations in the clock frequency of the motherboard. At higher FSBs and higher dividers, the range can be even more). Audio and other integrated peripherals also suffer when the PCI bus is run out of spec. ATI video cards are a lot less tolerant to high AGP speeds (directly related to PCI speed) than nVidia cards. With that in mind, most Realtek lan cards (the PCI based ones that occupy an expansion slot) are rated for safe operation at anywhere from 30-40mhz." - ssprncvegeta from the overclocking guide

Thats why it is not good to overclock without locking the AGP/PCI to 66/33.

EDIT: Batboy beat me to it and my post explains why it is unstable.

Back