• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket A thermistor, soldered flush with the mainboard ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klosters64a

I installed an Asus A7S-VM last weekend. There is no "bead" thermistor that sticks up from the middle of the Socket A. Just a tiny 6-"legged" IC that's mounted in the middle of the Socket A, flat on the mainboard.

BIOS reports mainboard and CPU temps. It's a bit weird, 'cause the CPU temp is solid like a rock. Not at all like a temp-reporting diode inside a P3E that changes every second or two.

This is a budget Duron/Thunderbird mobo. I have a Duron 850 running at stock. Both of my boxes are in the same room. Both the P3E 600(at stock) and the Duron box report 29C mobo temp. The P3E CPU temp is 31C, but the Duron's CPU temp is reported as 49C, both temps reported in BIOS.

I have 100 cfm throughput in both boxen. The Duron has a Vantec FCE-62540D with a Delta 38. The P3E has a GW FOP with a 42.5 cfm 80mm case fan on it. The HS's are very similar, btw. Both with a thin layer of AS.

I realize that the A7S-VM is an unusual mobo for hobbyists. I needed cheap, so $100 for built-in Audio, Video and 10/100 LAN is pretty good!

Any elucidation of the strange CPU temp monitor will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

klosters64a (Jul 02, 2001 08:12 p.m.):
I installed an Asus A7S-VM last weekend. There is no "bead" thermistor that sticks up from the middle of the Socket A. Just a tiny 6-"legged" IC that's mounted in the middle of the Socket A, flat on the mainboard.
-snip-

So, the obvious question is, what is printed on the 6 legged IC? Also, look closely around it for what looks like an SMD resistor with no markings or an SMD resistor that does not look like the other SMD resistors in the area. It could be an SMD thermistor.

Hoot

Back