• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Someone new again to OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Piggy

Registered
first of all, can i even overclock my processor and my GPU (if that's beneficial) with these specs?

foxconn a6vmx
amd athlon x2 4200+ windsor 90nm
2GB ram ddr2
PCHD 4650 1 gb ddr3

'cause i kinda hate the fact that my gpu's bottlenecked. :-/

thanks for any help!

PS:Sorry in advance if you'll get irritated by my questions. :D

Are you able to control the cpu voltage and fsb in your bios? I just did a quick lookup, and saw that they have a few bios updates that add support for am3 cpus. You could investigate further, but it looks like the Phenom II 910E would work in that board - if you can find a PII upgrade for cheap, that wouldn't be a bad way to go. Especially if you can't control your FSB or cpu voltage.

I have to ask, is it a prebuilt system? The only time I ever see Foxconn boards, it's generally an old Dell or HP system. If that's the case, you will be facing locked BIOS, and in order to overclock, you will have to find a set of cracked BIOS, flash them, and hope that whoever cracked them knew what they were doing.

I have to ask, is it a prebuilt system? The only time I ever see Foxconn boards, it's generally an old Dell or HP system. If that's the case, you will be facing locked BIOS, and in order to overclock, you will have to find a set of cracked BIOS, flash them, and hope that whoever cracked them knew what they were doing.

If its a Dell of HP system, expect a bricked board if you try to use a cracked bios. It doesn't always happen, but you wouldn't BELIEVE how many DELL / HP / Levano systems I get with bricked boards for this very reason! (Computer Technician here, haha)

I tell people to never take this risk-- Usually these cracked BIOS aren't a true match for your board (I'm thinking revision numbers, exact model numbers, etc), especially with Dell. Then again, do what you want-- I make good money off this kind of work :p

Are you able to control the cpu voltage and fsb in your bios? I just did a quick lookup, and saw that they have a few bios updates that add support for am3 cpus. You could investigate further, but it looks like the Phenom II 910E would work in that board - if you can find a PII upgrade for cheap, that wouldn't be a bad way to go. Especially if you can't control your FSB or cpu voltage.

I'd really love to but I'm still waiting for xmas for money and I can't find one that sells those near our area.

It had an option to overclock. Thing is I basically don't know what to do.

Accdg to CoreTemp, the min temp was 35C and the max was 46C. any good suggestions?

Suggestions have just about run out. As far as we know the board really has no options for overclocking. So there is very little we can suggest.

The only thing that might help is for you to take pictures of the bios where you think it had overclocking options. Attach the pictures to the forum so someone can see them and perhaps decipher what the bios gives for options.

Otherwise there is nothing we can suggest about overclocking.

Yes, your bios does have some basic overclocking controls:

CPU/HT Reference Clock (aka, "CPU Frequency", "Front Side Bus" or just FSB, and "HT Reference"). This is the master system frequency. All other system frequencies are tuned to this such as the memory frequency. When you increase this one above the stock 200 mhz, there are several other things that speed up like the memory and the NB. These other frequencies may need to be manually adjusted at certain points to prevent them from destabilizing the system while you are progressing with the CPU overclock.

CPU Voltage Control.. As the processor is forced to go faster in the overclocking process you will need to give it more electrical push in order to keep it stable. Enable this.

Memory Clock Mode. If your memory frequency is already set to the max it's rated for you will have to take this off of Auto and choose a slower starting speed, or a slower "divider" as we call it. Remember, as you increase the CPU/HT Reference Clock frequency the memory frequency, which is tuned to it, will want to grow and if the memory frequency gets very far over it's rating, it will destabilize the system.

Now what you need to do is download and install CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95 to get ready to overclock.

You also need to create a "Sig" to provide system information in a ready way to those helping you. The information in the Sig travels with every post you make. To create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Edit Signature. Tell us about the make and model of all the main parts that make up your system, including the CPU cooler (is it stock or aftermarket) and your case. Refer to mine (Custom built desktop) if you want an example or one of the other regular contributor's Sig. Please do that now. As threads get long, any information you may have provided early on will get buried.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much. Of course beginning with a setting that is 'known' to pass P95 Blend mode makes good sense, because a failed P95 Blend test is not going to give a baseline of a configuration that 'does' work.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Whoa! Those core temps and CPU socket temps (TMPIN0) are dangerously high! You want to keep core temps from exceeding 65c and socket temps from exceeding 70c. What kind of cooler are you using on that CPU? Stock? Do you need to take compressed air to it and blow the dust out? Maybe you need to buy some good TIM and redo the thermal paste and the mounting.

I think it's not a stock fan.
Here are some pics of my CPU (freakin' dusty)

Capture.PNG

cap2.PNG

Please disable Cool N Quiet in bios and the repost with a pic of the CPU tab of CPU-z. Cool N Quiet is undercutting your core voltage and core multiplier at idle and we can't tell what your CPU core voltage really is. High core voltage can cause high temps.

I would also try running the stress test and checking temps again but this time with the side panel off the case.

Last edited:
Temps came down over 10c for cores and CPU socket when you took the side panel off. That at least tells me that your case has poor ventilation. But your core temps are still high. I would suggest getting some Arctic Silver 5 and redoing the TIM and heat sink mount. Clean the heat sink and CPU with paper coffee filters and rubbing alcohol first. Remove the fan from the heat sink and run it through the dishwasher if you don't have compressed air.

What are your room temps like? Is the computer stuffed in a place where there is little air circulation?

Where could I buy the AS5? are they available in hardware stores?

Back