• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Someone please help me OC my P4 2.8c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samwY

Registered
I'm just looking for help on how to overclock my system:

CPU P4/2.8CGHz 800M 478P/512K HT RT
CPU FAN ZALMAN CNPS7000A-CU
ABIT IC7-MAX3
CORSAIR DDRAM 1GB TWINX1024-3200LL
POWER SUPPLY ANTEC TrueBLUE480 RET
9800 PRO
I have a Lian-Li "Warrior" case by xoxide with 7 fans, so my case is air cooled pretty well.

Right now I have it at 3.0ghz at 210FSB.
My goal is to hit at least 3.2 stable but I'm aiming for 3.4ghz(+)

Can someone PLEASE give me a detailed procedure on how to do this. I've been my told my system parts are designed to overclock easy, but I need some guidance. Also, what I know nothing about is the memory timing.

If you have AIM, please Instant Message: NYC samwY
or send an email to: [email protected]

If I can get my system to 3.3-3.4ghz - I will reward you.
Thanks

Last edited:
Some people any more. ;) You don't need to bother waiting for anyone, your answer is right below.

This is an Intel question and should be placed in the Intel Forum as there will be more people who can help you there.

Your quickest answers might come from the information already available - your basic system is not so unique. Example:

Quoted from this sticky.

ssprncvegeta said:
==================================================

Jarad's Ultimate Superior Total Kickass Overclocking Guide to Overclocking

-------by Jarad
--------------screen names
---------------------AIM: uberl33tjarad
---------------------MSN: ssprncvegeta

=====================================
Introduction
This is a short but in-depth enough guide to help newbie’s get started and those learn a few things. I’m open to any suggestions, ideas, corrections, or just add anything.

I hope this helps all you nubs to overclocking get off to a nice start.:D

Are You a Candidate For Overclocking?
If you don't know how to overclock first restart and go into the BIOS, the Delete key is usually the key binded to get u into the bios. For OEM computers, the bios can be accessed using other keys such as F1, F2, and I have had personal experience with F11, and the Enter key as ways to get into the bios.

Getting Started
Most (c'ept alienware, and other ones like them) disable overclocking in the BIOS, where overclocking takes place for safety and warranty purposes. You play around with the settings; raising fsb, increasing the multiplier (on AMD only, locked on ALL Intel processors ). All Intel multipliers since 1998 can NOT be unlocked, so don't bother asking!

Locked Multipliers
All Intel processors have had their processors locked at the factory to prevent changing of this value. This does, in no way, deter from the fact that Intel overclock just as well as AMD processors.:)

Overclocking in a nutshell, and then some
Overclocking basically makes the hardware run faster than it was meant to, so that the positive side. Negative parts are that it can create instability and overheat. To avoid instability, it's good to increase the voltage, however. Getting a better heatsink/fan for the CPU helps keeping it cool and helps prevent overheating. If a CPU, or any hardware for that matter, gets above 60ºC, turn off the CPU. You can tell if your mobo (mobo = motherboard) supports monitoring of fan speeds and temperature. Most mobo’s u buy separately on your own will have this feature built in.

Why Overclocking Can Be Good
Why spend $500-600 on top-of-the-line Intel/AMD when u can overclock a much cheaper CPU from stock* to similar or even faster speeds.
*stock means to have your hardware run at the factory settings

Why Overclocking Can Be Bad
Raising voltage decreases the lifespan of the processor. There is a range to be aware of, that the further you go from stock voltage, the shorter the lifespan, but a small boost won’t hurt. But anyone who overclocks never keeps a CPU long anyway. Always gotta have the best out there, that's the point of overclocking.

Overclocking Using Windows Based Software
Here is a CPU overclocking software proggies.
First one is called SoftFSB 1.7.

Here is the guide given by the makers of SoftFSB...

It's a minor fix to OEM computers with locked BIOS. I do not recommend this way since I am not familiar with this way of overclocking. Refer to someone who does for help.

Ram
And here are some things that might come in use later on

pc2100 - 266 MHz
pc2700 - 333 MHz
pc3200 - 400 MHz
pc3500 - 434 MHz
pc3700 - 466 MHz
pc4000 - 500 MHz
pc4200 - 533 MHz
pc4400 - 550 MHz
And the rest from there doesn’t really matter since you'll be overclocking it yourself when u raise the fsb with the ratio (example 1:1, 5:4, etc.). Keep in mind that if you want a really high fsb, u can either overclock the ram with it or use the ratio to keep it at a speed it can handle, but if the fsb your CPU is too much for your ram, your ram may limit how far u can overclock your CPU.

Intel Pentium 4 FSB (front side bus) settings
ex:
2.4a = 400fsb
2.4b = 533fsb
2.4c = 800fsb

the FSB on lintels are quad pumped, so 400, 533 and 800 are really 100, 133, and 200, respectively.
AMD's are 266fsb, 333 and 400, but they're only double-pumped, so it's really 133, 166, and 200.

MHz/GHz
the speed of a processor is made up of the FSB times the MUTLIPLIER.
ex:
200mhz(4 x 200 = 800fsb) times a multiplier of 15 equals 3000mhz, or 3ghz.

RAM
to make sure u have fast enough ram, remember that DDR = double data rate, and really works at half the speed it says.
for example:
you need at least pc3200(2 x 200mhz = 400mhz) for a Intel P4 with a 800fsb(4 x 200mhz)

Intel are known for overclocking pretty far w/o worrying about overheating but overheating is ALWAYS a concern.
AMD are known for their overclockability and how cheap(er) they are then Intel. Both are great and up to you to decide which to get.

Ratio
Let me talk about the ratio. Say you have a DDR400 ( 200mhz ), and an Intel with 800fsb ( 200mhz ). notice how the speed on the ram and the fsb are the same. That means there is a 1:1 ratio. but then you raise the fsb to 250mhz. that means the ram has to be able to handle 250mhz, or your system might not boot up and you’ll have to reset the cmos. If your ram isn’t able to handle the fsb, it will be a good idea to change the ratio, or divider. The ratio is the fsb divided by the first number, then times the second number. Obviously, anything divided then times by 1 will be the same number you had before. So try a ratio of 5:4, fsb:ram. So if the fsb is 250 / 5 * 4 = 200mhz. That’s stock speed for DDR400(pc3200).

Getting Started
If you know your motherboard supports overclocking then go into the bios and raise the fsb, something reasonable like 5mhz. depending on the multiplier, that can be anywhere from 50mhz to a 100mhz difference! Open up CPU-Z and take a look at your triumphant achievement!

How To Reset Bios
(Do this if you can't boot up)
If your system doesn’t boot up, take it easy. Raising the fsb doesn’t do any permanent damage to the cpu or the rest of your system. Like I said, the only things that harm your system are overheating and too much voltage. If voltage is stock and the heat temps are well below 60c, then your fine! Simply turn off the system (hold on button for 5-6 seconds) and then pull out the power plug. Open the side panel and take out the battery on the motherboard. Nearby should be 3 small pins with a jumper on 2 of them, pull off the jumper put it on the other 2 pins so that 1 is showing. After 5-10 seconds, put the jumper back in its original position and put the battery in. start up and the bios will be reset to its default settings. check your guide that came with your mobo to make sure.

Cooling
Now, for cooling! If u want to keep your system at a decent temperature, it’s good to plan out how you adjust your fans. Regardless of size and rpm of each fan, pay close attention to the CFM. You want to make sure you have an equal amount of air flowing in and out of your system. Depending on the temp of your cpu, it’s a good idea to have at least 80cfm going through at any time. More is always better. But for 80cfm you’ll need 160cfm total, 80 in and 80 out. The best place to put incoming air is near the bottom front and on the side panel. Then place outward going air on the top and in the upper back part. This way cool air is taken in through the front, run through and out the back, and the side panel fan usually helps gets fresh air directly on to the cpu. Remember, hot air rises!

There is other forms of cooling. I won't get into detail about that, but ask the other well-informed members.

but remember, intel shouldn't go above 50c and AMD shouldn't go above 60c....unless you're TheDoctor and very lucky!

Thanks
(Even more stupid crap nobody cares about)
learned lots of this from CrazyP, JoeP, SmokinJoe, Shroomer, and all the smartasses who thought knowing something I didn't know at the time and made a deal about.

Thank you wicka_wicka, quine, AntiNazi, Moe Lester, unrealsword, NightmareJr, and JimmyDean.

And thensome for the others i can't remember b/c they didn't reply to my IM.

Extra ppl:
AznBooster,
Shroomer...ah, Shroomer! My forever evil posts that prolly gave you cancer. My bad! You can ban me for making this thread when you get back, just like all my other "evil" posts. Gl with the whole cancer thing!
**update**
shroomer lives on!

And above all, I'd like to thank myself! Yea, IMHO I am the best member of this forum, and everyone else are just my minions to do my deeds.

MUAHAHAHHAAH!

========================
Most Recent Update
========================
**updated as of 1/19/2004**:D

A Bunch of Stupid Crap Nobody Cares About
If anyone would like to add to or fix anything i said please do so.

Back