• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOS Bricked I think...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi guys,

After getting my DM200 flashed with openwrt I put in all my ISP settings but there was no "switch" option in the menu did a google and one post on the openwrt forum made mention of setting the vlan in the custom interface area which I did. The router then wouldn't connect to 192.168.1.1

Openwrt has a fail safe by setting pc ip subnet to get back in I tried this and it didn't work. Another post said to telnet in then issue commands to force the router to run again, can't telnet in since the connection is rejected so its not possible to issue commands.

I honestly just want the damn thing back to stock since its 5am and this is driving me crazy. Is it even possible now or am I bricked??

I thought if it was possible to tftpd the stock firmware but it sits there and does nothing no errors and no movement, unless im using the wrong file??? (using the firmware img file found off netgear website) though I noticed on the dm200 page on openwrt webpage there is a link to a gpl file?? not sure if thi has what I need or not as 70$ cell credit down the toilet trying to get the file so I don't even know if thats what I need or not to fix my issue think I have just wasted $100 bux on a brick :(:(

If anyone has ideas on how I can if its even possible to fix let me know please.

Cheers,

Bandit

Unfortunately, your experience is not uncommon when transitioning from OEM firmware to DD WRT. There is a significant risk involved and there junctures in the install process where if you make a mistake or something goes wrong, well . . . you have a bricked router. I am not sure that the process can be reversed. I have flashed one router with DD WRT and it was successful but when I tried to flash it back to OEM I couldn't get it done.

Ick... sorry that happened. :(

Why did you flash in the first place? What does dd-wrt have that you need which isnt handled in the factory in installation? While it isnt rocket science, wrt, it isnt something for a novice either. If you dont need anything, dont go flashing things. :)

Last edited:
Ddwrt has been good to me, but you need to follow the instructions *to-the-letter*. I have seen some routers that you require step that may seem silly, but that was still the way the job needed to be done.

I've never used OpenWrt, but maybe a 30-30-30 reset (check ddwrt wiki for it if OpenWrt makes no reference to it) would help (less likely since trying to push the stock firmware but still worth a shot). Good luck :)

Ick... sorry that happened. :(

Why did you flash in the first place? What does dd-wrt have that you need which isnt handled in the factory in installation? While it isnt rocket science, wrt, it isnt something for a novice either. If you dont need anything, dont go flashing things. :)

Open source router firmware can unlock features not available in OEM firmware, sometimes even stepping up transmission power. It can also solve issues such as frequent signal drops which is all too common with OEM firmware. But it is not for the novice and can be a risky undertaking.

Back