• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound prob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smizack

Dead Boomslang collector
Kinda.

In windows sounds work fine. But I get lock up in most games. And most of the time it's a sound loop. I've tried the latest cmedia drivers. Any other ideas? It's Winxp.

Onboard sound.

But the wierd thing is. I borrowed an ensonq from a fried (this is months ago, I formatted recently) and it installed Sound blaster drivers. And if I get in the game and tell it that I'm using the Nonexistant Sound Blaster rather than the Cmedia, it worked like a champ.

Try to figure that one out.

Also, when I was using the Ensoniq, it had the exact same problem with sound loops.

Put in a pci sound card and got the same problem.
Is there a way to completely trash the C-media drivers??

As long as you uninstall the drivers from your system, Windows should not be loading them up and initializing the driver/hardware.

If the C-Media is completely disable din BIOS and uninstalled in Windows, and you get a crackling sound from a PCI sound card, it may be due to another problem...

Yakbak said:
As long as you uninstall the drivers from your system, Windows should not be loading them up and initializing the driver/hardware.

If the C-Media is completely disable din BIOS and uninstalled in Windows, and you get a crackling sound from a PCI sound card, it may be due to another problem...

It's not crackling it's getting stuck in a sound loop at various times. The sound is great, just having a lock up problem. I also got the latest via 4 in 1 drivers, but that didn't help it at all.
And yes, I did disable the OB sound in the bios, then installed the other sound card, and got the same prob.

Anyone?
I'm going to have to stay away from Soyo boards in the future I guess.

i had a similar problem, but all i had to do was disable the OB sound and install a PCI sound card. A sound blaster actually. lol.

the OB sound causes problems with the PCI slots, mainly the PCI video cards because of the assignment of IRQs.

Do this, in WMP, run a wav file over and over (using WMP- set to repeat). On my system, the sound file playback quality will degrade. I also have problems with my quad-speaker system. Read speakers won't work, it only runs at 2 speaker mode. ARGH! Yes it's a problem, and soyo isn't helping, but aside from that this has been a stable board. Not one BSOD (except a few when hard drives overheated).

This problem isn't with soyo, its with the company that they went with for the onboard sound. Cheap-o. It's really good sound, but too many bugs.

Last edited:
Back