• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soundcards, speakers, and 5.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

hey guys i'm looking at a turtle beach santa cruz and it has the digital 5.1 plug on the back. i've also been looking a couple sets of 5.1 speakers. now my question is do the speakers have a single plug that goes into the card or do i need to run it through a decoder and all that good stuff? i would like to use the digital 5.1 but if i need a decoder i might go with a cheaper card. also if the 5.1 speaker systems aren't plugged into the digital output then what is the plug setup they use? i should know this but i don't! thanx for any help fellas :)

Most speakers come with multiple plugs. A plug for the rear, front, and subwoofer usually. Most good speakers also have built in decoders. So you wouldn't need to have a seperate decoder for them to work.

Just a thought: Unless you watch DVDs on your computer, you really dont need 5.1 sound. For gaming a 4.1 sound system is all that is needed. Only DVDs use 5.1 sound, games use 4.1 sound. The Logitech Z-560s are the best 4.1s that you can buy for less than $200. I'ld check them out if you haven't already bought a set of speakers and don't really watch DVDs much.

well let's say i get the klipsch 5.1 system does it plug into the digital or seperate channels?

well let's say i get the klipsch 5.1 system does it plug into the digital or seperate channels?

oops stupid back button

It all depends if it's digital or analoge. I have an Altec Lansing 5.1 system that's analoge, therefore it has 3 seperate connections (Front, Rear, Sub/Center) Now, for DVDs, I DO NOT get true surround sound as these are analoge speakers and to get surround you need a digital decoder (Such as the Creative 5700 speakers or the Yamaha DTS 5.1) This is the only way you can get Dolby Pro Logic/Digital/DTS decoding. However for games that support 5.1/4.1 I get it perfectly. The digital decoder will usually connect through Optical out or the 2 conductor digital out connection.

As well, for the record. THX is a certification, not a standard (like DTS) So if you get speaker that have THX stamped on the box, it only means they meet a certain quality/performance level as set out by the people at THX.

I'm using the Audigy Platinum and it has both S/PDIF (digital out) and Optical Out. I originally planned to get the Yamaha system but I've heard mixed reviews on it. My Altecs are great (more power than the Yamaha too) I just lack any type of Dolby decoding.

Turtle beach is a digital signal processor card, all you need to do is set the outputs to 6 speaker(5.1) in the Santa cruz control panel and plug your connecters into the three labeled pins on the card. A little off the subject, if you go to WWW.Klipsch.COM they are running deals on factory refubished 2.1's, 4.1's, 4.2's, and 5.1's. I ordered a set of 4.1's and these things are brand spanking new, there is not one tiny thing wrong with them. I only paid $150. Later.

IdreamofDSl said:
Turtle beach is a digital signal processor card, all you need to do is set the outputs to 6 speaker(5.1) in the Santa cruz control panel and plug your connecters into the three labeled pins on the card. A little off the subject, if you go to WWW.Klipsch.COM they are running deals on factory refubished 2.1's, 4.1's, 4.2's, and 5.1's. I ordered a set of 4.1's and these things are brand spanking new, there is not one tiny thing wrong with them. I only paid $150. Later.

Are you saying it has digital decoding? It has the ability to output to an external AC-3 (dolby) decoder. But I know it cannot decode Dolby Pro Logic/Digital/DTS on its own.

This does not have an ac-3 decoder built in, is does however have an output for one. But the answer to his question is yes you can use this without a digital decoder for 5.1 speakers.

WeaponX said:
Most speakers come with multiple plugs. A plug for the rear, front, and subwoofer usually. Most good speakers also have built in decoders. So you wouldn't need to have a seperate decoder for them to work.

Just a thought: Unless you watch DVDs on your computer, you really dont need 5.1 sound. For gaming a 4.1 sound system is all that is needed. Only DVDs use 5.1 sound, games use 4.1 sound. The Logitech Z-560s are the best 4.1s that you can buy for less than $200. I'ld check them out if you haven't already bought a set of speakers and don't really watch DVDs much.

False...most new games are starting to support 5.1 sound. UT 2003 sure does. Im currently using klipsch 5.1's and an audigy sound card. The center channel is used for character sound in UT 2003.

Back