• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini Speaker Amp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok I know I'm spamming the subforum here but I closed out my speaker thread. I found my old set of Klipsch Icon KB-15s which are ok for cheap bookshelf speakers.

My problem now is my receiver is, well, a receiver. Like having a second desktop on my desk. And it'll dump 100w into these things when I won't use a tenth of that, if that.

So I'm altering the deal. I'm now looking for a little desktop stereo amp with RCA inputs.

So, with these speakers here's what I found so far. They're very source dependent. If I use a cheap amp, they give cheap sound. Also, they need at least a little kick to roll out the low end.

That rules out a Schiit Rokkr. 2w, into 8 ohm, I'm thinking I'll need at least 5-7w into these, the sensitivity is... Schiit.

That also rules out the little $50 Pyles off Amazon that claim to put out like 80wpc. Actually tried one on these speakers, just sounds tin-y.

So the TLDR version. I'm looking for a small, paperback sized speaker amplifier. That will do maybe 10w clean per channel into 8 ohm stereo speakers. RCA inputs are the only ones needed. Price range, I'd like to keep it to $100 but can push to $150 if there's "a beast" out there.

I actually haven't checked either. My headphone amp is actually from MP and it's pretty solid. Might take a look around there. B&H I know is also solid from work - anything you recommend from them?

if you want a amp with BT connection
plus you can add a small sub later if you want.

others that are 2.0 you might find interesting

if you want a more all in one, built in dac+tube preamp+20-watt Class A/B amp, worth the $112.49 on sale and they are running a st patty days sale. if that is all you buy, take another $12 off over $100. check their main page for the different discount off tiers and for the code to use at check out.

I have a FX audio FX202A/FX36A pro, they had on clearance a few years back. great little amp for the price, was surprised for sure!
They also have amp boards ect if you feel like building your own. as in the amp boards are prebuilt just make your own case and buy a power supply. great way to make self powered speakers. also check out their factory buy out section, you get lucky from time to time and find great gems!

also keep in mind the ratings on those amps is at 4ohms, so about half at 8ohms depending on the IC it could be more or less.

Last edited:

Honestly the Lepai is the most interesting to me as I've heard *ok* things about them before. Has anyone actually used them?

Edit: Evil - I actually read your post afterwards. The issue is...I'd love a tube DAC, but just looking for a speaker Amp here. It's just a matter of putting a component where it fits best.

Last edited:
I have the Dayton HTA20 amp and I love the damn thing. I'm no audiophile but that amp is frikkin' great.

I also have the HTA50BT and I love it too.

Dayton may not be the best but they're definitely good enough for what you're looking for

I actually haven't checked either. My headphone amp is actually from MP and it's pretty solid. Might take a look around there. B&H I know is also solid from work - anything you recommend from them?
Sry bro, I, personally, never used a mini speaker amp. I only saw a bunch on those sites that looked promising for what you're after for your specific needs. I've been using a Logitech Z560 for my PC speakers for decades. Incase I need to swap out, I have all my vintage stuff (amps & receivers). I think the smallest speaker set I have are Mission M71. Everything else is bigger.

I pulled the trigger on the HTA20 this AM. The Magni was doing okay driving some very sensitive bookshelf speakers, but I've been keeping an eye out for an actual amp that would hopefully sound decent and be more suited to the job. I don't think its great to run any amp at max output for 5-10 hours a week.

Sry bro, I, personally, never used a mini speaker amp. I only saw a bunch on those sites that looked promising for what you're after for your specific needs. I've been using a Logitech Z560 for my PC speakers for decades. Incase I need to swap out, I have all my vintage stuff (amps & receivers). I think the smallest speaker set I have are Mission M71. Everything else is bigger.
I actually have a pretty good setup right now.

My original desktop stereo was a set of Logitech Z5400s. When I got my own place after college I changed components, ended up with a Yamaha RS-202 hooked to a pair of JBL A180s. My last place I swapped out the JBLs for Pioneer SP-FS52s and a SW-8MKS.

Over the years I realized I rather just focus on headphones, ended up with what's in my sig which I can blast without bothering the neighbors.

So, to reinstate. I already have a small set of bookshelf speakers. I like how they sound. I do not intend to blast them. I am just looking to grab a small amp so I get clean audio without having to wear earmuffs in the summer or having to take up a bunch of floor or desk space for qualities/features I'd never use.

Update: actually just ordered the Dayton, thanks all!

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on the HTA20 this AM. The Magni was doing okay driving some very sensitive bookshelf speakers, but I've been keeping an eye out for an actual amp that would hopefully sound decent and be more suited to the job. I don't think its great to run any amp at max output for 5-10 hours a week.
Mt HTA20 drives a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers and I have never turned it up past 35%-45% There's no way it's just 10w/ch. It's just too damn powerful to be 10w/ch
Sorry, the HTA20.
I have the HTA20 on my gaming machine and the HTA 50BT on my daily driver because of space restrictions (HTA50 has a smaller foot print because it's tall, not wide)

The HTA20 is set to ~42-ish% on the dial and the HTA50 has been at 25% so long there's dust on the dial, lol. If I turn them up more, the neighbors upstairs complain. (apartments suck)

Edited to add: I'm using the USB connection to my HTA 50BT and regular RCA on the HTA20 since I have a crossover in between the amp and comp to route the low pass to a 10" powered sub from Monoprice (which isn't all that great TBH...think "turn-on thump" for the sub...meh)

Last edited:
Well I got it hooked up tonight, using the USB for now. I do think it sounds pretty good, though I've yet to give it a full listen. It feels good to have some more power behind the speakers. I'll have to listen to more music to see if I like the character better than the Magni2.

Update: I really am enjoying it. At first it sounded a little muddy at low volumes, but that seems to have opened up quite a bit. It still really sparkles at higher, but I think that's the nature of tubes. Now I'm tempted to find a sub for it...

Update: I really am enjoying it. At first it sounded a little muddy at low volumes, but that seems to have opened up quite a bit. It still really sparkles at higher, but I think that's the nature of tubes. Now I'm tempted to find a sub for it...
Yeah it takes a while for the tubes to wear in, for lack of a better term. Glad you're enjoying it.

There are a few places online which offer other tubes for it if you want to change the characteristic of the sound, (less bright on top, more warmth in the middle, etc)

Yeah I noticed that too. Took a good 8-10 hours of listening at low to mid volumes before it started to clear out a little.

Not about to start tube rolling just yet though, last thing I need is another hobby :D

Edit:
♫Everybody Wang Chung tonight♫
♫Everybody have fun tonight♫

Edit 2:
Still finding it a little bloaty. Might just be due to the speaker layout though, half considering giving my pioneers a second go, just to be able to push them back further. I actually retract a prior edit, if this continues I may look for tubes with a more recessed low end.

Last edited:
Yeah it takes a while for the tubes to wear in, for lack of a better term. Glad you're enjoying it.

There are a few places online which offer other tubes for it if you want to change the characteristic of the sound, (less bright on top, more warmth in the middle, etc)

I actually really like the way it makes high-range vocals sound with my speakers. They are pure acoustics Dreambox 3" speakers, I like them for my desk because they are small. They are also super sensitive (90dB) so I really haven't had the amp over 1/3 of the knob. I notice more there in the bass range but it doesn't sound incredible, I chalked that up to the choice of speakers though.

Yeah I noticed that too. Took a good 8-10 hours of listening at low to mid volumes before it started to clear out a little.

Not about to start tube rolling just yet though, last thing I need is another hobby :D

Edit:
♫Everybody Wang Chung tonight♫
♫Everybody have fun tonight♫

Edit 2:
Still finding it a little bloaty. Might just be due to the speaker layout though, half considering giving my pioneers a second go, just to be able to push them back further. I actually retract a prior edit, if this continues I may look for tubes with a more recessed low end.
Like I said before I'm no audiophile, but I think the Klipsch speakers handle well what you refer to as the "bloat". They're about 3.5ft- 4ft away from me currently and sound "crisp" mid to down low without the shrill sibilance on top.

I do note that the HTA20 shown above and my HTA20 use different tubes . My tubes put out a blue glow on the HTA20 rather than the red seen in the pics up the page.

Back