• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini Speaker Amp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm pretty sure all tubes put a faint orange glow from the top area of the tube (between the top two "discs" surrounding the tubes in this amp. I believe the glow from below the tubes is from LEDs. I'm really glad they're not blue on my model.

Like I said before I'm no audiophile, but I think the Klipsch speakers handle well what you refer to as the "bloat". They're about 3.5ft- 4ft away from me currently and sound "crisp" mid to down low without the shrill sibilance on top.

I do note that the HTA20 shown above and my HTA20 use different tubes . My tubes put out a blue glow on the HTA20 rather than the red seen in the pics up the page.

A point in your favor, I was walking around my apartment when playing DM's Personal Jesus on mid volume. It did sound a lot smoother. And now I'm blasting NIN...OK.

I really think though I was being hypercritical at first. Like hearing NIN on just a basic pair of bookshelfs and being physically dragged around by the ears - that's a plus for me.

A point in your favor, I was walking around my apartment when playing DM's Personal Jesus on mid volume. It did sound a lot smoother. And now I'm blasting NIN...OK.

I really think though I was being hypercritical at first. Like hearing NIN on just a basic pair of bookshelfs and being physically dragged around by the ears - that's a plus for me.
LOL. I'm jamming Policy of Truth right now, hahaha

To me i think tube pre-amps gives you the best of both worlds. you can roll the tubes to find a better sound to you. then you still can have a powerful compact speaker amp or headphone amp. i want to get one but it seems like every time i get the money something else happens, LOL

tubes will have a red-ish glow to them, since these are pre-amp tubes. they will not get a red or glow brighter as amp tubes do. this is in part due to the amount of power/voltage running through them. any color from the bottom like that at the tubes will be leds. tubes will not be that deep red color, they will have a more orangish glow like dimmed incandescent light bulbs.

interesting, looks like some tubes do have blue in them. it looks more like the edges of where flow starts for the electricity.

Attachments

• glowing.jpg
    glowing.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 3
  • hot-tubes.jpg
    hot-tubes.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 3
  • blueglow-in-amp.jpg
    blueglow-in-amp.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 3
So far I'm thinking the setup isn't bad. Half debating if I should swap the Klipsch bookshelfs with my pioneer towers, with the soul intent that the towers wouldn't be blocked by my monitors like the bookshelfs are.

I do have a small 8" sub I could hook up but eh. Only song I'm missing the low end on is Sturgill Simpson's Sing Along. Only "country" song I can say I like, and in large part it's due to the distorted chuggy bass which is really recessed with the current setup.

f916cc64ed20fbffe7ebf6b0871697e3-2572507130.jpg

Last edited:
Back