• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sprocket's New Home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clocker2

Greetings.

My name is Clocker and I'm a caseaholic.
My poor computer ( her name is Sprocket) has been in five different cases since I first put her together.
Her one year anniversary is coming up ( August 18th) and I decided that the only appropriate gift would be ( what else?) yet another case!
Among a few other things, of course.

Sprocket's first two cases were cheapo generic Tiawanese boxes, followed by a XaserII (what the hell was I thinking?).
Following the Xaser fiasco she lived in a CoolerMaster Praetorian.

One day, at my local comp shop I found an old Gateway G6 case and realized what I had been missing.
Not only did I love the classic, old school look of the case, but it was GIANT!
Built like the proverbial brick sh*thouse, too.
Sprocket happily slid right in and we've been just the happiest couple since.

Recently I finished assembling two new servers for my brother's business.
When I took them up to Boulder for the install, I casually inquired about the machines he was replacing.
"Oh," said he, "they're down in the junk room...go take a look if you want."

Well, not being one to pass up a freebie, (he is my brother after all...he couldn't charge me for it, could he?), down I went and yup, you guessed it...it was kismet.
Sitting on the top of a pile of maybe 30 old PCs was an even bigger case than the Gateway.
Oh oh.

Long story short, it's going to be Sprocket's birthday present.

Here's what it looked like when I brought it home...
clocker2-mini1NSCside.jpg

clocker2-2NSCside.jpg

Ok, I can tell you're not terribly impressed.
Not to worry...I HAVE A PLAN!
In fact, I HAVE LOTS OF PLANS!

The interior dimensions are:H24", W7" and L15".
Here's what it looked like after it was stripped down...
clocker2-mini3stripped.jpg

Even with the old mobo tray removed it's still rock solid, no flexing or twisting at all...a real testament to good ole American engineering ( and very thick sheetmetal).
But, wait...
clocker2-4badback.jpg

Ooopsie, bit of a problem here.
Not ATX compliant in the least.
Not even close.
What to do, what to do?

Well, after pondering the dilemma for a few days, I decided that the best thing would be to just have a whole new back panel fabricated.
I can deal with the openings that need to be cut, but I don't have a sheetmetal brake, so folding the flanges was going to be tough.
A few phone calls found a cooperative shop and the chassis went down to be measured.
The sheetmetal guy was willing to do the job cheap ($15) if he could squeeze it in between his bigger ( and undoubtably, more lucrative) jobs...so I won't have the new panel till next Monday.

That's OK, thought I, the motherboard tray doesn't work either, so I have a project to keep busy with.
Hmmm, how to do this?

Well, turns out that trying to duplicate a factory made mobo wall would be A LOT OF WORK.
Not only would I need another piece of sheetmetal folded, but then the holes would have to be ( accurately) located, drilled and tapped.
Sheesh...must be an easier way to do this.

Don't let 'em kid 'ya....SLOTH is the mother of invention.
Harking back to a HDD cradle I had made a few months ago, I realized that the basic principles could easily be translated to my motherboard mount.

Off to Home Depot and $9 later we have this...
clocker2-5rawmat.jpg

3/8" diameter steel rod, 9- 3/8" nylon cable clamps, assorted screws and washers and some mystery tubing.

A few hours on the lathe and we have this...
clocker2-6cut.jpg

The rod has been cut to length and each end has been drilled and tapped for a 6-32 screw.
Can you see where this is headed?

Yes, you were right.
Here's the first test fit to check proof of concept...
url]

And a closeup of how it is mounted...
clocker2-8protodetail.jpg

Looks like I may be on to something here.
Let's see if it'll fit in the case.
clocker2-9protofit.jpg

Sumbitch! It works!
Mirabile dictu!
And from the back...
clocker2-10protofit2.jpg

Viola!
Obviously, since I haven't got the new back panel yet, this is not the final location height nor depth wise, but that's the beauty of this mounting method...it is completely adjustable.
Also, the back of the board is open to the breeze, hopefully aiding in cooling a bit.
Yes, there prolly WILL be a fan blowing on the back of the mobo, but that's a ways down the road yet.
I TOLD YOU...I have lots of plans.

Have you forgotten about the mystery tubing?
Well don't, it comes into play soon.
But not yet.

So this is my progress so far.
I've amassed some cool parts that will be used and I'm still waiting on a few more, so that about wraps up this first installment.
I have lots of drilling/tapping/measuring to do before the new rear panel comes, but that is visually boring...I shan't subject you to my lazy work ethic.

But I will leave you with a teaser....
clocker2-11teaser.jpg

A new heatsink (Aerocool DeepImpact DP-102).
And I'll even leak a bit more...there is a Torin blower involved.

Could be interesting.

Laters.

Last edited:
I have that exact same case....except the base is cracked in two places.

this is good stuff! I will defently be looking back!

i love old big cases too i have one now, its an old inwin, i love it and the removable mobo tray is awsome

Wow! I'm so totally usingthat method of mounting my mobo! Awesome job, keep it up!

Looking like it will be one of the better mods I've seen in a while. Keep us updated, if you got the time.

PS. the pics look awesome.

can that way of mounting the mobo really support all the weight of that heatsink? sorry to try and put a damper on such a cool idea, but that is a huge heatsink and having only 3 small tubes holding it up kind of irks me

You have a case that big and you're not watercooling?

You need to add another hobby to the lineup. ;)

Here are some pics of the HDD cradle I made a while ago that inspired the mobo mounting arrangement.
I was trying to isolate the drive from the main case structure and also allow some air to flow around it.
It actually worked.
I had to juggle the configuration around a bit when it came time to install it, but the basic concept stayed the same.
HDD1.jpg

HDD2.jpg

mini-HDDcradle.jpg

WejRepus...
O ye of little faith!
Naturally, the weight of the HS was a concern to me also.
Fear not, I have it handled.
I don't have the Torin in my clammy little hands yet, but when I do I'll begin to prototype the intake/exhaust enclosure which will also serve as the brace for the HS.

Johan,
Currently, Sprocket IS watercooled.
Turns out, I think air cooling is better.
For me, at least.

That is a very nice looking case. The only thing I would do different would be to paint all the plastic black or silver so as to get rid of the yellowed plastic that is visible.

arabarabian said:
That is a very nice looking case. The only thing I would do different would be to paint all the plastic black or silver so as to get rid of the yellowed plastic that is visible.
I've been considering the final look for the case, but am holding off on any decisions until the build is complete.
Almost certainly the chassis itself will be black, probably Hammertone.
I'm pricing powdercoating, but so far all the quotes have been exhorbitant.
The plastic is not yellow IRL...that's a trick of the lighting and the camera.

the torin is coming, good to see it will have such a nice home, sad to see it go
Yes folks, Greenman is one of the folks who's generousity is helping this project progress.
Thanks also go out to devvingiorgio for the baby Raptor and skahtul for the fans.
All three of these guys sold me the goods through our Classified section and it was a pleasure to do business with them all.
If you haven't kept an eye on the stuff for sale here I would highly recommend that you do so....good deals abound and the quality of the sellers has been exceptional (so far).

The Torin was a last minute addition to my wish list.
They seem to be rather difficult to come by and it was pure serendipity that brought it up just as I was wondering how to set up my HS cooling.
I really am hoping it will work out the way I have planned....

@Mark620
Does your case have any stickers on the back?
I have one that says:

Data Storage Marketing
586 Series

S/N: 221459

Last edited:
Nice work there!

This is definately a thread I want to follow as well. I recently found an old Pentium 2 abandoned in the alley, and it is ripe for doing something like this, though not as extreme. This one seems to be ATX compatible, is larger that the POS cheap case my baby started in, and has a removable mobo tray. It too is rock solid, I plan to use only the frame and mobo tray for my new case buildup. The rest I will create myself from assorted odd materials I have about. (wish I had a digicam!)

Anywho... keep up the good work!

Clocker2, you have a very keen sense of ingenuity. Forgive me, but I'm now going to have to copy your method next time I have a non ATX compatible tray. Your method is so much easier and more reliable than the one I developed (which involved a drill, a tap, and a couple markers....). Cheers!

Absolutely brilliant! :thup:

I've got a very similar AT full tower, that I've been wondering what to do (if anything) with. Now I've got an idea to work with.

Back